Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake upgrades: big reds, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake upgrades: big reds, etc.

Hi guys,
I am interested in eventually upgrading my brakes. I haven't decided on how I will go about doing this though. I've seen the kit, and it's beautiful, but I have school and other expenses to think of as well.. so I have to be conscious of the pocket book.

What's the price for the brembo big red kit.. for both front and rear? And the other thing... I was looking at pelican and a few other sources and I have a 1985.5 944 na, and it appears there is no kit available for it - only for the 89-91 s2, 86+ turbo and 968.

What's the deal? Are they just out of stock, or is there simply no kit for the older cars? Or is it in any way possible to slap it on to an 85? (I have 17" wheels)

Other then that what else can I do? any good drilled rotors around?

thx.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If i am not m istaken they used to make the kit for n/as as well but stopped just a few years ago. I am not sure why.

I think a reason might have been that the kit mi9ght have been a litle over kill for the n/a cars and possibly there was not mch of a demand for this kit as it is very expensive and is only practile i your car makes alot more hp then it does in stock form.

If i am wrong please someone correct me.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I think for a N/A car you might want to think about finding a used 951 turbo S brake set up and use that. It would be much cheaper and the front calipers use almost the same sized pads, they are 132mm by 48mm for the medium S4's and 132mm by 58mm for the big reds front. The 951 S brakes will allow you to use 16 inch wheels as the big reds require 17's minimum. You can always paint the medium S4's red. It would be very hard to tell the difference by just looking and stopping power is just as good since they use the same sized pistons.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:57 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.Rennbay.com sells a Wilwood front brake kit that bolts right up to the n/a without modification and improves braking dramatically. The rear brakes are fine with what you already have.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:18 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

A question I have to ask is why do you want to upgrade the brakes? Do you plan on racing the car or do you just want more brake? The general consensus around here is that your brakes are already more than adequate for the car, so I'm not sure it's even worth doing anything significant while on a budget.

I absolutely understand the desire to want larger brakes and was planning on putting them on my Miata (it has the small early brakes) but decided against it after feeling the difference that just a good set of pads will do. Yes, some day I'd like to put the larger brakes on there but there is no need for how I'm driving the car, and thus, no justification for the money spent other than to be able to say "I've got big brakes!"

Unless you plan on doing something extreme with the car, I'd recommend just sticking with some good pads, brake fluid and maybe stainless steel brake hoses.

BB.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:54 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Old 07-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Ditto what Brian says. I found the stock NA brakes (with really good pads and bleeding before each event) to be fine for about 5 years of pretty brutal DE use. Braking was still tire-limited and, trust me, I was flogging that car at the track.

Now, fresh shocks and some swaybars... then you're talking some worthwhile spend.

Quick Reply: brake upgrades: big reds, etc.