Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoked My Turn Signals....

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Smoked My Turn Signals....

OK, so i only got to the ones that i can easily remove tonight. besides, i was in the process of developing a......well, a process...

before-

during-

ok- so the during part. i used some weird "window tint" thing. i cant find the rest of the label, but it's like, pacto or pac....something. i've got the numbers and a small bit of the logo-

yank off the turn signals (4 screws in all, very easy), sand them with 150 or greater (i'd say LOTS grittier than 150. 150 makes it kinda difficult....) make sure the surface is clean, and that you dont have anything that can give you little floating particles to mess up your paint.

start with enough to give it a good coat. it will begin to run, but dont worry about that too much. when it starts to bubble or thin out in some areas, spray a bit on there to cover it. i'd say.....5-7 inches away from the surface. any closer will spread out the paint and make you angry.

let it dry for a bit (sun drying is preferable) but dont let it dry completely. if you have giant run marks, move the lens around so the runs even out and dry out. spray again and again until you have a coat that's acceptable to you.

i went for a bit of overkill and i may re-do it later.

this wont win any concours shows, but it will get the job done to a decent extent.

mine is really really REALLY dark, but if i gave it a bit more effort, it would have had a really good tint and also had a good shade of black going.

all it takes is PATIENCE. this isnt like doing the tail lights, this.....is almost to the point that it's a PITA, but the results are AWESOME..

The sun was setting when i took the pics, so i didnt have time to get proper pictures, but by next week i will have good pics...

here's one for now.

and here's how the turn signals look individually. the BOSCH L and R markings and the PN's will still show up in a lighter tint if you dont have really really heavy paint on there.

questions are welcome as i'm sure my "write up" is crap.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yo holla. Pearl with smoked.

(Please ignore the spray painted non-matching splitter, it was a quick-fit and test type thing)
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Also-the front end is uber dirty from working on it!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:50 AM
LtReid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bad ***, i wonder if they have this stuff over at advance auto parts. Anyway how many coats did you put on it and i wonder how it will work on the tail lights, hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 07-07-2006, 02:56 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Phone dials don't go up on windowsills!

That's awesome, but I doubt it would look good on NA signals and sidemarkers. Wish the clear ones weren't so expensive, mine have cracks in them and need something.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:00 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yellowline
Phone dials don't go up on windowsills!

That's awesome, but I doubt it would look good on NA signals and sidemarkers. Wish the clear ones weren't so expensive, mine have cracks in them and need something.
But pieces of them belong on windowsills. That's from a rollover parts car I had a while back.

If they're cracked, why not try it? They are pretty disposable. Dime a dozen from a parts car. That's why I did mine, they were cracked. I didn't care.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:12 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks good, I did mine..

Trending Topics

Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
If they're cracked, why not try it? They are pretty disposable. Dime a dozen from a parts car. That's why I did mine, they were cracked. I didn't care.
My concern was more for pucks in the windowsill than for the wheel.

Jason, do you have a shot of the whole front end? I'd go look at your site, but it gave me a 404.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:17 AM
Giantman
Racer

Can you get that stuff off if you decide you don't like it after sobering up?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:22 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Giantman
Can you get that stuff off if you decide you don't like it after sobering up?
LOL.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:26 AM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yellowline
My concern was more for pucks in the windowsill than for the wheel.

Jason, do you have a shot of the whole front end? I'd go look at your site, but it gave me a 404.
Ill look for a decent front picture...

The site doesn't currently work..

Here found a couple, all i have is high res though so click the link:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...4/163_6207.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...r/163_6262.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...r/163_6264.jpg

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...r/159_5582.jpg

I guess you get the idea..haha
Old 07-07-2006, 04:03 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

i'm sure some acetone or spray paint remover will get it off.

honestly, i think clear might look better just because it's so clean looking.

right now i get like....0 light out of the front. i get a little bit of residual light coming out of the sides of the lens, but that's only cuz there's no paint there.

ultimately i'd like to get it like 9fifty1 has his, but that'd only take slightly more effort than i put into it today.

i'm about to go check out what it looks like at night......
Old 07-07-2006, 04:07 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just for the record, that paint is made by a company called Pactra and is common for lexan polycarbonate bodies found on r/c cars. You can get the stuff at any local hobby shop. I am sure that Testors, a more widely carried brand makes something like this also.. that can be found almost at any toy store, including Walmart.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:09 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Just for the record, that paint is made by a company called Pactra and is common for lexan polycarbonate bodies found on r/c cars. You can get the stuff at any local hobby shop. I am sure that Testors, a more widely carried brand makes something like this also.. that can be found almost at any toy store, including Walmart.

really? i couldnt find anything at wal mart as far as a smoke thing goes. the tint, maybe.

thanks for clearing up the brand name, duck.

but yeah, a hobby shop is where i got it. and i dont think Testors has anything similar in terms of black smoke. they have green, blue and purple for some reason, but black only comes in airbrush cannister deals.

so yeah, i had to resort to other stuff.

necessity is the mother of......
Old 07-07-2006, 04:45 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Well my stuff I got from www.summitracing.com

It is VHT smoking paint. At 15 bucks a can, it isn't cheap. But it works well. I can get a lot of light through no problem. After I sprayed my foglights and turned them on, there was a purple tint to the light. Kinda cool.

Quick Reply: Smoked My Turn Signals....