Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill - Track Day (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 03:05 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderhill - Track Day (photos)

3 of us Nor-Cal listers (Joseph, Luckett and I) did the Thunderhill track event today. Actually Joe and Chris were there yesterday as well and I joined up today. It was tons of fun mixed with a few car troubles and a lot of heat. Arash and Sean also showed up later in the day.....brought a few parts for chris to put his car back together and both got in a few rides as passengers with Joe and Chris.

All in all it was a great time, I learned a lot and most importantly had fun. Thanks to Chris for finally getting me out there. Here are a few of my fav pics from the day.

I must have been driving fast cause after the first session I scared the **** out of my car literally..........yep looked down after I parked the car and a trail of yellow/green was flowing from under the car.......actually a hose had sprung a leak and all the coolant quickly drained on the floor......but a few hours later, a trip to the store and I was able to get the hose replaced and made it back on the track for the last session and more importantly made the 2 hour trip back home.

It didnt take long to establish who the dicks on the track were.....not surprisngly they were both driving ZO6s.....Chris got the pleasure of seen one spin out right in front of him (im sure you had nothing to do with that Chris )

I dont know how to add text after the pics so I will give a few descriptions here. Most of the day Joe's blue 944S3 did double duty since Chris' car was out of comission for the first couple of sessions. There were some nice cars out there...notably a 69 Z28 Camaro, Ferrari 348, GT3, GT3 Cup Car, and the usual M3, EVO, STI and Volkswagens.....

Since I was taking the pictures there are none of me but maybe some of the others there got some and could post up for me.

Enjoy
Attached Images             

Last edited by Andial951; 07-08-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:15 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool -- nice pictures!

I can't believe we had so many mechanical issues.... So did everyone managed to limp home okay?

Roger, check that hose bracket occasionally to make sure it's not rubbing on anything like the Turbo. I don't like the way it sits.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

A few more
Attached Images      
Old 07-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Which company organized the event? I'll be doing a track day w/ the Lotus club on July 24th.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Unlimited Laps organized the Friday event. Not sure who did the Thursday event.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:54 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I had fun being the pit crew/parts guy. Next time I'll bring my coveralls so I can work on your cars while they're parked.

Chris and I had fun limping home. He had no alternator belt, so he started driving home with his charged up battery, and made it about 30 minutes before it died. Then I swapped batteries with him, then we push started both cars, because mine now had a dead battery, and he was trying to conserve his battery. He drove home with minimal lighting, and it worked for the 1.5 hours home. I kept my car in 4th gear to keep the revs high and charge the battery faster. Well this made my car (which runs rich) consume all my fuel, and I almost ran out of fuel. The friggin thing ate more than half a tank from thunderhill to SF.

Well we got home OK, but later than expected.

At the end of the day, it was the two 944 NAs that left without having major issues. Score 1 for the NAs!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

wait wait wait....score one for the NAs?? I seem to remember a little trouble with one of those NAs (pic below) and your NA didnt even run in the event......unfair.....besides after fixing that little tube mine was good as new.........
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 08:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks like you guys had a good time. The breakdowns must have been frustrating though. It must have been pretty hot, it was sick hot here in Sacto. yesterday. One of these days I get up there but not in the Summer!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:23 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breakdowns are frustrating, but I've come to accept it as a part of doing track days -- you're stressing your car to the limit after all.

Though, it certainly makes me start thinking about buying a trailer.....
Originally Posted by Serge944
Which company organized the event? I'll be doing a track day w/ the Lotus club on July 24th.
The Perfect Line hosted the event on Thursday. I have a few things to work on as a result of doing back-to-back weekday track days (plus the added fact that my car was being used in two run groups at times). If everything gets done, I'll sign up for the Lotus Club event.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:33 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Looks like you guys had a good time. The breakdowns must have been frustrating though. It must have been pretty hot, it was sick hot here in Sacto. yesterday. One of these days I get up there but not in the Summer!
The breakdowns are much less frustrating when you have guys around to help out. Joe was generous enough to let me double stint his car on Thurs. while we rode with each other and made some big improvements to his driving. Arash and Sean arrived the next day with parts in had to patch me back together and help work on the car. And on Fri. over lunch, Roger and I made a run to the parts store to get a hose to get him running again for the afternoon.

And between patching the cars back together, everyone got some good rides around the track. And we all drove our cars home! It's always an adventure running 15-20 yr. old cars at the track!
Old 07-08-2006, 08:34 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
I was planning to run the Lotus club event, but I don't think my car wants to...
Old 07-08-2006, 08:45 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by josephsc
If everything gets done, I'll sign up for the Lotus Club event.
If you need any help, let me know. I have a spare front sway bracket avail.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill - Track Day (photos)