Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running car without coolant for 1 minute....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 06:32 PM
ronenfe
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am rebuilding my Renault Twingo 95 and I'm waiting for a new radiator to arrive. In the meantime I was running the engine to move the car to a different location in the yard and to check how it runs. I have a digital temp gauge connected to the body of the water pump. I don't understand why you all say to run it for less than a minute if the operating temperature takes maybe 15 minutes to be reached. Why not just follow the gauge?
Now I attached the serpentine belt to the water pump so I am a little concerned running the pump without coolant in it. I also don't have coolant in the cylinder block.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Because without the 'heat sink' effect of the coolant, you will build up a lot of heat in certain areas (head in particular) very quickly.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ronenfe
I am rebuilding my Renault Twingo 95 and I'm waiting for a new radiator to arrive. In the meantime I was running the engine to move the car to a different location in the yard and to check how it runs. I have a digital temp gauge connected to the body of the water pump. I don't understand why you all say to run it for less than a minute if the operating temperature takes maybe 15 minutes to be reached. Why not just follow the gauge?
Now I attached the serpentine belt to the water pump so I am a little concerned running the pump without coolant in it. I also don't have coolant in the cylinder block.
Some cars have gauges that will indicate 0 temperature without coolant. The 944 thermostatic fan switch is in the radiator and will never turn on without coolant. The engine without coolant will have hot spots as it will not have coolant to distribute the heat. You can probably run your engine without coolant for 15 minutes but likely your engine will stall from overheating and you will most likely cook something in your motor.

I lost a cooling hose at the big track at Willow Springs and tried to limp the car back for a mile (less than 1 minute without coolant) at full throttle as other cars were going over 100mph. By the time I got back to the pit, I caused enough engine damage to have warped the block, cracked the cylinder head, collapsed the piston rings (lost compression in all cylinders), and blew the head gasket.

Running it for a minute or 2 from dead cold is probably ok. That's about all I would run it for without coolant.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:43 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ronenfe
As others have said, running it for a few seconds won't be too bad, but anything beyond that on an engine with an aluminum cylinder head will cause bad things to happen very quickly. BTW, fitting a temp gauge on the water pump when there's no coolant flowing is pointless. Worse yet, fitting a temp gauge anywhere on an engine without coolant is pointless. Under such conditions the temperature at the external surfaces may 'seem ok', inside the engine at the cylinder bores and valve guides the temps will be radically different without coolant to carry that heat away.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,711 Likes on 1,061 Posts

That’s right. My truck overheated in -30F weather and registered cold on the gauge. No coolant circulating means hot by the engine and cold by the radiator.

This is precisely why a failed water pump is so dangerous on our 996s.

Quick Reply: Running car without coolant for 1 minute....