Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What parts from Porsche are we in danger of running out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by special tool
a break from the cynicism tonight to tell us about the bike - excellent!
Not sure exactly you mean there, maybe you could expand on that. Then again I didn't know what a special tool was either until I got the service manuals. Most people don't want to be called "special" or a "tool", but coming up on 600 WHP I guess it's working for you

Back on topic, I find it hard to believe that Porsche is actually making more of these parts. Compared to the number of new cars being sold, the number of replacement parts sold for our cars it tiny. Setting up molds, presses, fixtures, etc is very expensive, especially for a car manufacturer.

I can understand why some expensive parts cost so much, there is a huge profit in parts. Then why would a dealer sell ANY part for $.79 when it would be worth $10 to someone doing a restoration. Even a $10 sale doesn't pay for the paperwork sometimes. I guess my point is that a $5 part of today could be a $100 part of tomorrow. That's why I'm getting what I can now.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:49 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being one that loves his old car, and doesn't plan on getting rid of it, you'd think I might be concerned about parts availability but I'm not. First of all, there are plenty of parts for these cars out there, and when it comes down to it, if there is something you need, even if it is NLA from Porsche you can have it made.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock
Eh I wouldnt worry bout running out of OEM 944 parts. Theres enough parts cars and aftermarket shizzle to keep you on grinding.
as long as Rock insists on a 944, the parts supply will continue to dwindle.... j/k

Most everyting is available, or can be fabbed. This is Rennlist.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stein um stein. Ich werde immer bei ihr sein.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:14 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Default I know that's not spanish but...

Originally Posted by Rock
Stein um stein. Ich werde immer bei ihr sein.
I searched and searched for a good pic of Ron Burgundy with a "You know I don't speak Spanish" text in it, or a good pic to put it in but alas I couldn't find one...
Old 06-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Not sure exactly you mean there, maybe you could expand on that.
ST was talking to Peckster. Don't worry about it.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:25 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, I didn't know what a 74 Norton was, and that was supposed to be a friendly comment to ST

I'm not worried about keeping my car running guys, that wasn't the point. No doubt there will always be used parts, and better aftermarket parts. Maybe someday I'll want to build a more modern one, just trying to keep my first one original.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:41 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Imagine how I feel to know that BMW and every CV manufacturer has stopped making the CV's and drive axles for the front of my 325 iX. They are a one off part with nothing from Audi, VW, or BMW that will fit. That puts me in the position of knowing when me or my son drives the car we should turn as little as possible, kinds cramps your style you know? I suppose I'll end up having to contact one of the good 4WD companies to one-off some set-up and pay dearly for the machining. It's only a 91 and they've stopped the supply line The transfer cases aren't exactly available either anyplace but BMW and all they sell are rebuilts.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

The return gas line on early cars is NLA, even from Germany.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I just tried to order some transmission rebuild parts (synchros, bearings, seals) and half of them were not on the shelf in the US - had to come from Germany. Thats not a good sign if typical, common maintenance/rebuild parts for a major drive train component are not being stocked in North America.

My guess, as 944 owners continue to buy a lot of used parts, and buy parts from OE Mfg's directly or through other aftermarket suppliers, this will cause Porsche to first raise prices (because they are selling fewer parts), then drop the parts completely (if the demand falls off to near nothing, once the existing stock is sold, they will not resupply).

There have been several price increases across the 944 part line over the past several years. And Ive run into a few parts that are completely discontinued and a few that now superceed to some 993 or more recent part #, and the part may function but does not resemble the original part at all.

So, my guess is that the days/years of new dealer parts are numbered.... try to buy a 356 part from a dealer.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Ahh, I didn't know what a 74 Norton was, and that was supposed to be a friendly comment to ST
Gotcha. I was tired last night.

Anyway, back on topic, I know what you mean. I lost a screw for the TPS, and thought "oh ****, how much is this going to cost for one little screw?". It was $.30. I bought two and walked out with a receipt for $.67. I felt bad. I'd have bought a t-shirt or something if they'd had anything decent.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I just tried ordering keys for my car. The only one still available is the ignition key. The alarm and wheel lock keys are NLA.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

It's hard to tell. I called the local dealership looking for a part. They told there was one in the United States and they would have to order from Germany (6-8 weeks). Sunset had 3 on the shelf and delivered in 3 days.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:59 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
We took the last new 944S wiring harness out of germany last year....man was that thing beautiful.
Hey Doc, you must have just beat me to it. I tried to order the S DME harness last summer from Sunset and no luck!

As for the late-offset manual tie rods, I think you can still get those as part of a complete late-offset manual steering kit from 944online (well I hope so, I just ordered one!), but I think you are right, that individual ones may be NLA.

Overall though, I have already bought a ton of various small parts from the dealer and almost everything I want has still been available. Can't last forever though.

Trying to get parts for my 1989 5.0 l V8 Ford Crown Victoria is much harder actually.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:36 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Interesting topic.

When I first got the car, I asked a Porsche mechanic about this very issue, specifically to 10 year old car and greater for parts to keep them running.

His response was that Porsche prices the parts so that they make a good profit on them to keep the parts business going. I guess this is why you can still get genuine Porsche 365 sheet metal parts (at least he said so. May be where you look for them?).

He continued in saying that while at some point the parts may be on back order until there is enough demend to warrant a production run, eventually a run would be made and sold, as all the tools to produce the parts are owned by Porsche, they still exist, so the parts can be made. All this seems to make sense and adds up in my mind.

Now what some have said here is that there are NLA (No Longer Available?) parts, and I guess this also means without replacements or updated parts? This flies directly in what he was saying. I'm trying to sort out what the real deal is, in case I have to start stockpiling the parts that I'll wear out in the next um-teen years (a prospect that I'm not looking forward to).

Quick Reply: What parts from Porsche are we in danger of running out?