Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:37 PM
GrcPorsche944
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Window Problems

Hi, I can only open passenger window from passenger side, but cannot open drivers window. Haynes manual says don't try, let a Porsche dealer sort it. Previous owner bought new switches but never changed them. How do I do it ?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by GrcPorsche944
Hi, I can only open passenger window from passenger side, but cannot open drivers window. Haynes manual says don't try, let a Porsche dealer sort it. Previous owner bought new switches but never changed them. How do I do it ?
Welcome to Rennlist and be aware that this question has come up at least twice in the last week. The search function is one of he most valueable tools here and most new posters are encourgaed to try it first. You might want to give it a try. If you don't have any luck I'm sure there will be some good replies at this thread. It also helps to post some details about your car so others know what model to comment on. Again welcome to Rennlist.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
dmjames
Burning Brakes

I'd wondered if the Haynes manual might be worth grabbing for the heck of it- Now I know it's a waste of money. Power window switches are almost always a simple fix... Who in their right mind would want to paf someone $100/hour to clean some switch contacts?

I know you can details via the search, but generally, you'll need to pull the switches out, clean the contact points, and reinstall them. That should do it. As a temporary (and not perfect) fix, try pushing up and down repeatedly on a non-functioning switch for 30 seconds to a minute or so. This got my windows working some of the time until I can get the switches out to clean them.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Have not used the Haynes much myself....mostly the list. Welcome & I just posted a thread a day or two ago. Take switch out...take it apart...put it back together.....usually solves the problem.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:01 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Window switch plate will pop/pry out of the door panel. Try to take it out a bit on each side. Once these bezels are out you will see how to replace the switches. Do one at a time on the drivers side so you don't mix the connectors up. Best to add the year of your car to your questions.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:01 PM
GrcPorsche944
2nd Gear

Thankyou everyone.
I thought the manual was having a laugh.
I've only had the car for 8 days, so I guess the fun is only just beginning.
Cheers
Old 07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
88Silver924S
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had problems with electric window switch internal contacts getting burnt in normal use (924S). I recall from the old days when changing spark plugs, points, and condenser (another name for a capacitor) that the condensers/capacitors function was to keep the points from burning due to arcing as they open and close. QUESTION: does anyone know if adding a capacitor (what size?) in the circuit would solve the contact burning issue? Would there be a need for a resistor also to bleed off the capacitors charge?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:24 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

It really is rare that a switch fails and more than likely the contacts need cleaning or if that doesn't do it it may be a broken wire and more than likely the problem will be inside the rubber boot between the door and body. The first thing is to get a spray bottle of contact cleaner ( at electronics components stores), BTW everybody should have a can of this stuff in their tool kit. The wire issue is a bit tougher and you should jumper the switch to take it out of the loop and then very carefully massage the wires in the flex between the door and body and I bet you'll find the problem. Then splice the wire with a similar size conductor.

Quick Reply: Electric Window Problems