Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006 | 08:36 PM
Qik944
7th Gear

Default Overheating problem...HELP!

Dear Forum Readers....I really need some guidance. I have a 1986 944 that I have been building over the winter. I noticed a coolant leak when I got the vehicle and since I had no info on when timing belts were replaced I had both done. I buttoned the rest off the engine back up with a new thermostat and hoses. I filled the reservoir with coolant and with the breather vent open, ran the engine. In a relatively short time (10 min) the temp rose to a critical level. Nothing came from the vent but steam?? I felt the radiator and it was only hot on the upper most area. OK I thought, I have a plugged raiator. I bought and installed a new one.
I just finished and took it for a drive and its heating again. This time I felt the radiator (the new one) and it was not even warm. Also I popped the vent and still nothing but puffs of steam when I pinch the hoses.
I did remove the AC pump and hoses but left all under the dash at this time. I also noticed that the cockpit was hot as if heated and slide controls made no difference.
I am at my wits end on this and really need some advice. Thanks Qik944
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:05 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You need to get all that steam out of the system. Drive the front of the car on ramps, or jack the front up as high as possible and rev the engine a little bit while adding coolant.

It’s imperative you have the front end of the car up when bleeding the system.
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:08 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Getting the front end a little higher would help. May I suggest this when you re-fill: A trick I use for bleeding is to open the bleeder screw a couple of turns before adding the new coolant/water. After it's filled up to near brimming on the reservoir tank I do a little mouth-to-mouth on the tank opening to pressurize the coolant and force it to flow out of the bleeder port (it doesn't take much). Then close the bleeder. This seems to greatly minimize and additional bleeding. Also, did you replace the thermostat?
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:10 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't drink the coolant though

Quick Reply: Overheating problem...HELP!