Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Nor-Cal Wentorth Springs Fun Run Photos and Comments Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006 | 09:15 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Default Official Nor-Cal Wentorth Springs Fun Run Photos and Comments Thread

Well just got back from the run and it was a great time. Tons of twisties, great scenary, beautiful cars and great people.

Juan originally showed up in his low rider mistakenly thinking this was another cruise but quickly went back and got his 951.

Unfortunately Serge in his nice BMW didnt make the whole run as he sprung a coolant leak and had to turn around. Sorry about that Serge....I hope you made it back OK.

I had a few fun high speed passes with a 996 (i think it was...it was a Carrera 4...thats a 996 right?)...on the way home.

Here is a link to my PICS
Old 06-24-2006 | 09:20 PM
Hoss Ghoul
Instructor

That was a blast...had a good time meeting everyone and great job by Steve picking out the route.

Can't wait until next time-with the 924S and some sunscrenn(I'm cooked).

Nice cars everyone, thanks for letting me bring the Z/28.
Old 06-24-2006 | 10:21 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Had a great time. This was the 4th trip and I'm convinced the area should be called the Bermuda Triangle. Someone gets lost every trip. It was good to have the Bay Area people along and to make the long drive on a very HOT day. I haven't heard from Serge yet but I'm sure he made it back to where he could get that hose looked into. Not sure if Highboost ever realized he drove right past us at the last stop but we never saw them again. The second leg almost included my first ever attempt at 4WD at a missed turn Anyway thanks everyone for coming out and enduring the heat...so much for a snowball fight! I didn't get any action shots but here's a few of the attendees at various stops

Last edited by KuHL 951; 06-24-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2006 | 11:13 PM
zbeeblebrox
Advanced

and fun times were had bay all. including me. seriously great drive steve.
Old 06-25-2006 | 12:10 AM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

great run, Esteban. Thanks to bleu for lending me his tools right quick.

i hope Serge got home ok.

i'll post pics when i get home (probably gonna go watch Cars or Nacho Libre again tonight).

i had a lot of fun, and i thought it was a good day-before "anniversary" present for my car

ok, yeah, i'm too connected to that car......

yeah, no one saw cuz i was the caboose, but i almost bit it REAL bad. like......bad bad. but the 951 is ultimately forgiving, and that experience taught me that i never want a 911 without some form of traction control, lol....

anyway- i'm sure i'll have blurry Nikkon Coolpix pictures when i get home for all to enjoy.
Old 06-25-2006 | 12:22 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

There was definately some serious driving going on...........we hit 100+ through several of the straights..........I was sideways in at least 2 turns.............witnessed Arash get sideways in a tight right hand sweeper........went sideways....over corrected.......over corrected again....and then finally got it going straight......thanks for the cool visual Arash......I believe Steve also said he was sideways in at least 1 turn......but winner of the "Smooth Move" award has to go to Dave (Karen's "AKA Klaussand" husband) who went sideways right in front of the park ranger.........
Old 06-25-2006 | 12:43 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial951
There was definately some serious driving going on...........we hit 100+ through several of the straights..........I was sideways in at least 2 turns.............witnessed Arash get sideways in a tight right hand sweeper........went sideways....over corrected.......over corrected again....and then finally got it going straight......thanks for the cool visual Arash......I believe Steve also said he was sideways in at least 1 turn......but winner of the "Smooth Move" award has to go to Dave (Karen's "AKA Klaussand" husband) who went sideways right in front of the park ranger.........
Meanwhile, I almost lost my dad's Volvo into the side of a bridge due to hydroplaning and road crown, and now AX is cancelled for tomorrow.

Looks like a fun time- we need some of your weather. Also, somebody to step up and get CT/MA/RI listers in on a run here wouldn't hurt.
Old 06-25-2006 | 12:53 AM
959Lover
Racer

witnessed Arash get sideways in a tight right hand sweeper........went sideways....over corrected.......over corrected again....and then finally got it going straight......thanks for the cool visual Arash......
You can just imagine how I felt as a passenger when that was happening, not being the one in control. Well, neither of us were in control, but that's beside the point .

I had a BLAST. Thanks Steve for setting up an excellent run, and hopefully I'll be able to make the next one with my hunk 'o' junk.

I BELIEVE I got some really nice and clear shots of Roger (951), Hoss Ghoul (Camaro), and whoever else that happened to be behind us at some point. If I didn't take any pics of you, well heck, get behind us and lemme take a beauty shot! I will upload pics either tonight or tomorrow, but as soon as they're up, i'll put 'em here.

Ashkan
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:18 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Steve, that run was something to remember. Thanks for everything, and it was definitely worth making the long trip from SF. Yeah, I got sideways, and I won't blame my STUPID PIECE OF S--- TIRES, because it was my own fault.... but thank God, I recovered and went on truckin (with a little less fortitude for the rest of the day).

I hope Serge made it home OK, I hope Jared and Johan made it wherever they ended up going OK, and I hope future runs see as much "good luck" as most of us did today. I felt like I was going to kiss a tree and drive a 300TD for the rest of my life.

Chris's squeeling belt finally STFU after the run was over. We were on 50 somewhere near Placerville, and I was following him home to SF. I suddenly saw a plume of smoke come from under his car, so I flashed my lights to try to get him to stop (fearing the worst). Then a second later I saw the remnants of a totally COOKED alternator belt tumble out from under his car, and the smoke stopped. Well, at least it was quiet.

I radioed him to tell him about his belt, and that must have caught Dan's attention, who was apparently behind us somewhere, and who unfortunately still had one of my 2-ways. Well, he met us where we pulled over, I got my radio back, Chris got some help finding a NAPA and a new belt, and we were good to go, without the embarrasing squeel. Thanks Dan!

Lessons learned today: drive slower, keep an extra belt in the trunk, and keep a "real" jack handy for funruns.
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:31 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

.....I believe Steve also said he was sideways in at least 1 turn.....
Actually I didn't get sideways at all, I was going straight, and the turn went right right while I was stuffing my dangling alarm module back under the dash. Good thing I was going fairly slow because that 'road' looked like the Rubicon Trail about 1o more feet from where I stopped. I really think you guys should take it a bit easier; those were fast but unforgiving roads today. I emailed Serge and stilll haven't heard back about his trip home. Karen and wondered where Dan went, looked in the mirror amd he was gone. Glad Chris got the screech from Hell exorcised.
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:38 AM
959Lover
Racer

Here's a teaser of sorts of some of the pics that Arash and I took. A little sloppy on the photoshopping, but it looks alright. The original pics are way bigger, but photobucket wont let me have a panoramic that large. Oh well. Let me know if anyone wants the full size, so i can email or whatever.

Old 06-25-2006 | 01:47 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

wow...a puff of smoke and a belt falling out from the engine of a running car just doesnt sound good. But sounds like no damage was done so I guess thats cool...........
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:48 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Yup, the alternator cut the lower coolant hose! I made it home without too many complications and got everything fixed. Then I continued working on my roll bar... Since my 'fast' wasn't quite satisfied this afternoon, I took a rip down 'Winding Way' not too long ago and almost hit Bambi! I already hit a deer once on this road!
Attached Images     
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:51 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

hey....good to hear you made it back..........
Old 06-25-2006 | 01:56 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I forgot to say that it was great meeting all the new people, and old people that I'd never met before. Karen, Dave, Mike, Chuck, Jared and Johan, I hope to see you guys on the next run.

Roger, the smoke made me expect to see a piston fall out from under his car but luckily all i got was a belt.

Quick Reply: Official Nor-Cal Wentorth Springs Fun Run Photos and Comments Thread