Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Celsius or Fareneight

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recall passing by there, but I sure will now

A purpule 951, can't wait to see that.

Stephane

Originally Posted by George Boss
I own the Moe's Deli & Bar on Jarry. Well, it's now becoming a Dunn's in 9 days. My purple 951 is always parked out front under the sign.
I don't recall if it was loud. I recall it looked really clean though.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:03 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by George Boss
Hey Sysgen....have you every brought your car around St-Leonard? If that car in your avatar is yours, I think I've seen it around my store.
I hope you have Italian flags hanging outside your deli!!
Old 06-27-2006, 04:00 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Legoland951
...the English system of gallons, miles and pounds which is abandoned by even the British...
Not entirely...

Road signs in Britain are still in miles. All cars in Britain are sold with MPH speedos (with KM in small for driving in Europe)

I grew up in Britain and still think in pounds and pints, but I'm over 40 years old. Other Brits of about 30 years old seem to think in kilogrammes and litres.

I do much prefer the metric system though: and yes, -I absolutely agree that it should be 'Centigrade', since it's a grading system using exactly 100° (hence the 'Cent-i-grade') between freezing and boiling points of pure water at exactly 1 Bar standard atmospheric pressure.

[rant]I despise it when weather-people predict temperatures like "ten below"... -Thn below WHAT?!!? -below zero or below freezing? [/rant]

Keith
Old 06-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I know the frustration. Engineering calculations involving SAE units make everything twice as long back in the days before computers. Most people have never heard of the English equivalent of a kilogram. No its not a pound. I also think in pounds and miles but I think any science major is familiar with calculations in metric. Kelvin scale is great if you have to go to far reaches of the universe where 0 kelvin is used (scary how I still remember the number -273.16 from memory and have not had to use that number for 24 years). When you mentioned 1 bar, bad memories of 1 ATM or 760mm Hg comes to mind....
Old 06-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone above 30 years old here still uses the imperial system, mostly for body weights and height and for an unknow reason, we use centigrade for outside temperature but fareneights for pool temperatures and ovens for cooking very weird.

We do not use Kilogram also for food puchases, still use pounds.

We're "special" like that
Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Thanks Z-man, so how are you American guys figuring out at what temperature it is set
New comers into my car always point out the celcius, they always say "thats awsome!". Easily amused i guess. Them they look at my clock set in 24hr mode and say "thats stupid..". (once you start with saying something like "i wake up at zero-seven (0700)" you will never go back!).

As to how i figure out the temp, i find the climate control in the later 944's is usually hot, cold or cool. And cold only comes in when the a/c is working! Seriously, i find there is no inbetween at all, its either i am sweating my *** off in the dead of winter from the heat or get cold to quickly when i shut it off. I usually have the window cracked even in the dead of winter because the heat is just to damn hot no matter where i have it set.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:24 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt mean **** to me! I can turn that to any temperature and it only blows out hot air.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:48 AM
myskyon
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
New comers into my car always point out the celcius, they always say "thats awsome!". Easily amused i guess. Them they look at my clock set in 24hr mode and say "thats stupid..". (once you start with saying something like "i wake up at zero-seven (0700)" you will never go back!).

As to how i figure out the temp, i find the climate control in the later 944's is usually hot, cold or cool. And cold only comes in when the a/c is working! Seriously, i find there is no inbetween at all, its either i am sweating my *** off in the dead of winter from the heat or get cold to quickly when i shut it off. I usually have the window cracked even in the dead of winter because the heat is just to damn hot no matter where i have it set.
well what i find funny is that a lot of owners of the late cars never new the climate contols are automatic. thats right set the temp you want and leave it there then the car should adjust the right about of heat and cool air to get it there and keep it there. you dont even need to have the fan on for it to work. i have found though that my car likes to regulate a little too late ie it gets really hot then just as i cant stand it anymore it starts letting in cold air till i am freezing then it will progressivly get better till it gets just right. strang car.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:32 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Most people have never heard of the English equivalent of a kilogram. No its not a pound. I also think in pounds and miles but I think any science major is familiar with calculations in metric.
I forget, but this interests me. I know the kilogram is mass, and the pound is weight, or m*g. The newton is the metric = of the pound (which is why you torque in N*m or lbs*ft), but I don't know the English measurement of mass. Is it the dram? My HS physics remnants are pretty jumbled, laugh if you want.

Last edited by yellowline; 06-28-2006 at 03:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

The name of the English unit for mass is a term that can also refer to a bullet....
Old 06-28-2006, 03:23 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Now, now. Fahrenheit uses smaller units, so it's more accurate than Centigrade or Kelvin
that doesn't mean we have to like it, especially when those from out of town come to visit (like from anywhere else on the planet) - and no one can understand anything (as a group) and we as 'Mericans wonder in amazement due to our lack of metric utilisation, hmm. sheesh... some day we will be unified.. but we might all be dead by then.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Smaller unit? A nanocentigrade is pretty small...
Old 06-28-2006, 03:28 AM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

How come nobody except the Simpsons has widely broadcast the concept of metric time for Americans? If we're going to go metric, let's do it right and leave the rest of the world in the dust.

If the unit is anything but magnum, I don't know it.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:35 AM
deni durrell
Three Wheelin'

Smaller unit? A nanocentigrade is pretty small...
Plus 0 (zero) is freezing and 100 is - who'd of expected it- boiling! Oh boy. can't get any easier than that. We Americans and our stupid traditions that the English don't even follow anymore.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 AM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

I've seen the 951 on Jarry, nice car. My buddy lives right off Jarry. I also have an alpine white S2 with BBS LM though I haven't washed it since I aquired it over 8 months ago... So I wouldn't exactly describe is as clean. Forza azzurri!

Quick Reply: Celsius or Fareneight