Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Have you parked the car with the sunroof open before a storm?
Yes- Left the sunroof cracked.
29.55%
Yes- Left the sunroof off the car.
6.82%
No- What, you think I'm a complete idiot?
47.73%
My sunroof's broken.
7.95%
I don't have a sunroof, you insensitive clod!
7.95%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Because I can't be the only idiot here...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:03 PM
White Pony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, never left the sunroof off.. But Ihave left the windows open 6-7 times.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:34 PM
1987na
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have left the sunroof off during a storm, BUT I had my car cover on it, I don't know if that still counts. The only reason is because I didn't want the interior to get worse than it already is.

Right now my sport seats are cracked, not just the leather but the foam underneath is separated. This is because (I'm guessing) the previous owner had an accident with the car, that somehow damaged the original sunroof, so, while he was sourcing another sunroof, the car sat open and got rained on, then when the seats were drying out, the seams cracked and widened, etc. Also, some of the foam is out and you can actually see the linen substrate on the bottom of the seat!

The way I figured this all out is because I know the sunroof is from an 83-early 85, since I checked on getting an outer sunroof seal and that is what the parts man told me.

I really can't understand why there isn't some kind of ownership IQ test that people have to take before they buy a nice make (Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, DeTomaso, whatever). Even if the guy was too cheap to buy a car cover for the car while it sat outside waiting for a new sunroof, or if he didn't have a garage or whatever, there's no reason he couldn't have bought a tarp and some bricks and improvised. He just didn't care. So now, I've inherited the problems he created. It really burns me up that some people don't take pride in their cars, especially a nice car like this WAS. It would have been a LOT cheaper to cover the car than to just leave it sitting and have to get new leather, foam and linen for the seats. I really can't get my head around that mentality of "I don't care, even though I have a nice car, I'm going to act like it's a old beater and not take care of it, or at least even do the minimum maintenance so it runs well".

Can anyone justify or explain this guy's inaction/uncaring attitude?

Quick Reply: Because I can't be the only idiot here...