Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you tell me what this is? Image Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006 | 08:37 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, the transmission moves, it's normal. Did you check the torque on the bottom shock bolts? If they loosen up they make the exact same noise.

Dal.
Old 06-23-2006 | 08:51 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Ok, thanks

I'll go check that right now.

I also just noticed that one of the bolts that holds the swaybar seems a little loose.

I'll be back
Old 06-23-2006 | 11:54 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Nope problem remains, I've tightened, proded and banged evrything under there and I still have my "tunk"

I even took my spare tire, and everything in my trunk out, to be sure.

It seems to happen on the downward motion after a bump on the road. I mean, I hit a bump, the shock starts to compress and then it decompresses and then I get the tunk.

I'm out of ideas.
Old 06-24-2006 | 02:08 AM
Giantman
Racer

I have the same clunk-thunk sound as you describe however mine is definitely from the front end. Like you I have checked everything I know how to check and now I can only put it down to my front left damper which is very soft and seems like it's on the way out, but the sound is more akin to something being loose, and like you said, you notice it on the rebound over every little hump or bump.
Old 06-24-2006 | 02:30 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Checked the fuel pump and filter?
Old 06-24-2006 | 12:15 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

The fuel pump is surrounded by a BIG THICK rubber tube and fastened using a clamp to the car, the filter is also fastened to the car using a big clamp, I doubt that they'd loosen up by themselves, unless someone recently changed them and forgot to tighten the clamp.

Is is a metallic type clunk? One problem I had with the S2 is that the exhaust would sometimes bump against the roll bar. You couldn't get it to do it by shaking the exhaust when the car wasn't running, but it would tap the sway bar once in a while when out on the road. A little heat and bending at a local exhaust shop cured that problem. It just needed a tiny bit more space to clear.

edit: Nevermind, you said you checked the exhaust. You did make sure that everything is securely bolted down in the hatch area? The jack, the spare, anything in the side cubbies?

Dal.
Old 06-24-2006 | 07:42 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Ah some progress on this, I tried to pull the hand brake a little to see if the clunk could be related to the hand brake pads and WOW, it stopped!!!!

If I pull the handle for about 2 clicks, I checked and the wheels still move freely but the problem goes away. So I must have a loose brake pad in there. Any ideas!

Thanks all
Old 06-24-2006 | 10:16 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take the rear rotors off and see what the problem is. The parking brake is just a simple drum brake inside the rear rotors. Of course you could just live with it until you replace the rotors, fix it then.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!

Or, what's more likely is that the parking brake cable is hanging funny/not secured properly and it's banging against the bodywork when you go over bumps.

Dal.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:22 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Problem Solved

That anoying noise I was getting on every bumps on the road was a loose hand brake pad on the DS rear wheel. One of the small twist springs had come loose. I just put it back and problem gone

Thanks to everyone and special thanks to Derek, Michel, and Marc
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:31 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Now it's time to fix the horn and signal return.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:43 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Horn maybe but the signal return no. It seems that the momo wheel I have and the wheel hub that was used does not support it.

I also fixed the Alarm System yesterday, Michel gave me the G18 and G19 relays I needed and it works perfectly. First time I tested the alarm it started and I couldn't find how to stop it, I eventually took a rag and stuck it on the horn until it stops Neighboors and the whole familly came out wondereing what was going on. It's very loud

How's you car, still running good I hope after your little mishap
Old 06-26-2006 | 10:02 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ugh... Yeah it's running great.

I'm going to take it apart again and add some loctite to the dist. rotor screw

Quick Reply: Can you tell me what this is? Image Fixed