Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People think the darndest things!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 03:43 AM
Kokopelli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe that's why
Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jgporsche
i think the ferrari remark happens a lot with red 944s. clueless people think.... red...... european... FERRARI!
Come to think of it... that's probably it. It's would probably be easier to associate a silver car with ze Germans.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Same thing happened to a colleague ...kinda... -only in reverse.

A visiting audio engineer, named 'Eddie Kramer' was giving a talk and a 'studio masterclass' to some students at a local recording facility. Eddie's being a bit of a superstar and an overall pain in the butt. He calls in one of the techs to complain about something; -turned out it was something that Eddie was doing wrong so my buddy the tech discreetly presses the right button, checks that everything is okay, and makes to leave. Doesn't want to make a big deal about it, but quietly shows the visiting 'celeb' what was the problem, without alerting the students. -Good diplomacy, no biggie... moving on.

Rather than look like a fool for complaining to the tech when he himself had the wrong button pushed, he tries to claw back some fabour/credibility with the technician, who's a buddy of mine, his name is Mike. Mike's a big Formula-1 fan, and happened to be wearing a Tee-shirt with a blueprint of a V12 Ferrari engine printed on it in white, and a black-on-yellow prancing horse under the italian-flag-colored inverse chevron... -you know, the Ferrari logo.

He notices the shirt and calls the tech back in, saying:

"That's the Boxster engine, -right?

The Tech realises that there are paying students around and doesn't want to make him look like an ***, so he says "It's kinda similar I suppose, but this one's actually a V-12"

"-Like the V-12 Boxster, -right?"

"Ummm, this one's actually a Ferrari engine, but yeah, maybe similar"

"No, I think you'll find that it's a boxster engine, -specially with that Porsche badge on the top..."

My buddy is kinda dumbfounded at this point: Here's a guy who has on his resumé that he engineered for the Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin etc, and he's just a dick. This exchange actually continued for a minute or two with EK digging himself in and refusing to let anything drop... eventually Mike decided to just leave without responding, since this was going to end badly otherwise.

Of course when he shared his experience with me, I told him that he's not alone... EVERYONE who has to put up with Eddie K's superstar rantings has a similar tale to tell.

-I've thought about the prancing horse similarity a few times with reference to that story, I guess I can see the cause for confusion, but the only people who will make the mistake are either just not "car people", or idiots. I've no real interest in chatting with either for any length of time, so I'm okay with it. -Hell, if some fool I don't care much for wants to think that I drive a Ferrari, I couldn't care any less.

Keith

Quick Reply: People think the darndest things!!!