Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun on Georgia hwy 19: Mountain roadrage

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 11:52 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fun on Georgia hwy 19: Mountain roadrage

Today Simmomi (Mike) and I took a ride up into the north georgia mountains. The ride was very enjoyable, and mike's car is beautiful! We wen't from hwy 9 to hwy 19 and up past suches onto blood mtn, which happens to be my favorite stretch of road. The car felt good, and by good I mean awesome! This was my first chance to really get on it, and learn the limits of the car.

On our way back down from blood we found ourselves behind a red dodge ram, which was rolling a long at or near the speed limit. I am behind Mike, and we come to an open stretch and he moves to overtake the truck. I turned on my turn signal and start to follow, but the car pulls to the side and starts to block my path. Mike slows down in front of the truck, after which the passngers actually stand up outside the windows and begin to yell at mike and give him the bird. This goes on for several minutes, until I radio to mike to go aead to lose the guy, and I would try to get around him and meet up later. This is where the real fun starts

I ride a safe distance behind the car ,but everytime I slow down he slows down also. More than once he slams on the brakes, but luckily for me, the 951S has a slightly better stopping distance than a dodge ram with 4 people in it. Oh, I forgot to mention I was carrying a girl in the passenger seat who was scared ****less.

After about 5 minutes of following this guy and listening to him threaten to kill me and throw trash at my car, I decided it was time to do something, before it put Ansley (the girl) in danger. We came to an overlook spot and I started to slow like I was going to turn off to get out (obviously what he wanted me to do) But once we were in the gravel I put it in first and dropped the clutch at about 4500rpm's (enough to let me swing to the right enough to get around the truck). I cringe at the though of what kind of damage I could have inflicted on my car.

After I got around him, I lost him in the horizon and proceeded to make the fastest run down that road I have ever attempted in my earthly life, nearly breaking loose on more than one of those curves. After I had lost him I proceeded down the ountain until I found mike sitting next to the cliff I used to go rappelling on. He pulled out in front and we came down the mountain at a pretty qiuck pace. Once we got to Dahlonega we stopped at eckerd so that I could return his walky talky to him. we were about to turn into eckerd, and guess who comes flying down the mountain? We pull into the lot, ansley hands him the radio and I gassed it out of there.

The guy continued to follow, but I didn't push it speedwise, because of the traffic. I didn't feel like causing an accident and then this guy getting away and it being my fault. I was sitting at the front of the left turn lane about to get onto the road back to gainesville, and he is about 5 cars behind me. I decided to call the cops before i got into a high speed pursuit with that much traffic around. I told the 911 operator what was going on and then looke over and there is a hillbilly f*cker with some crooked teeth tapping on ansleys window telling me to pull over up ahead. I locked the doors and the light changed so I went.

I think the phone spooked them, and they quickly turned off onto a side road. I wanted to follow them and get the plates but ansley was shaken up enough as it was. I waited a good 10 minutes before the cops got there ( I could have had my *** kicked by then!) and gave them a description and the usual stuff and got on my way.

All the action aside, I still don't know why he followed me.

Sorry for writing a book on this
the moral is, hillybilly's are nuts.

*editied for clarity*

Last edited by Lorax; 06-18-2006 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:28 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have read all that if there were logical paragraph breaks. It really does make for a better read... hurts the eyes, the way it is now.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:21 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lorax
All the action aside, I still don't know why he followed me.
You gots purdy teef boy.....
Old 06-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Makes me glad to live where they look down upon those that intermarry.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:31 AM
simmomi
Pro

Ryan -
I am soooo sorry this happened to you guys. My Dad and I were discussing this the entire evening last night. All this because the guy doesn't like being passed on the road.

You said the REDNECK was doing around the speed limit. Actually, he was going under the speed limit at the time I passed him. If he was going to drive that slow, then he should have expected to have been passed. But then again, he was driving a red Dodge RAM with dixie flag stickers on the back window...need I say more? I wouldn't be surprised if he had been drinking.

If I had ANY idea that this was going to be the outcome, I would have had us just stop at the gas station there in Suches and just hung out a while.

BTW - I'm assuming you stopped to talk to a cop to give the info and such. Were you in the Moe's parking lot? My wife saw a cop coming out of there when she was coming into Dahlonega. Thought that might have been one in the same.

Please tell Ansley how sorry I am about all of this. I hope it won't keep her from going on future drives.

We should have just called the cops when we had the *** in between us so that you could have given them his tag #. I've learned my lesson for the next time. Roadrage is everywhere.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:34 AM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

never did that in a car. But i have done that same route on motorcycles for many years!!
Old 06-18-2006, 12:31 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I was kicking myself for not getting the guys tag earlier.

Ansley is fine, she's a pretty tough girl in all fairness. She was atleast quiet and not screaming in my ear while I was trying to drive away from these guys. She told me that she still had a good time.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark
Makes me glad to live where they look down upon those that intermarry.
That would be funny if the Lehigh Valley wasn't technically part of Appalachia.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So, I think what that guy did was definitely uncalled for, BUT having lived in Georgia and spent A LOT of time in Suches and Dahlonega I can see where the locals might be a little bit tired of folks in sportscars and sport bikes zooming around like wildmen. A friend in Suches spends most of his time as a first responder pulling dumbasses who overshot corners off of the mountain. I have been nearly run off the road in blind corners by pinheads trying to use the entire road to make corners and some punk smashed into the back of my car coming down from Woody Gap near Rockpile. Now combine that with all the folks on road bikes up there and you get some user conflicts from time to time. Confrontations are inevitable
Old 06-18-2006, 02:34 PM
simmomi
Pro

Originally Posted by Manning
So, I think what that guy did was definitely uncalled for, BUT having lived in Georgia and spent A LOT of time in Suches and Dahlonega I can see where the locals might be a little bit tired of folks in sportscars and sport bikes zooming around like wildmen. A friend in Suches spends most of his time as a first responder pulling dumbasses who overshot corners off of the mountain. I have been nearly run off the road in blind corners by pinheads trying to use the entire road to make corners and some punk smashed into the back of my car coming down from Woody Gap near Rockpile. Now combine that with all the folks on road bikes up there and you get some user conflicts from time to time. Confrontations are inevitable
Point taken, and I agree there needs to be some moderation. However, I can assure you that in this case (and as you did clearly state), what this nimrod did was completely uncalled for. We had been behind him for several miles. I was first in line, and never tried to run up on his tail, etc. I gave him complete respect on the road, and that includes when I passed him. However, he took offense to the fact that he WAS being passed, and now had someone in front of his beloved pickup truck. Bottom line - he's the typical redneck *******, and to be quite frank, I could care less if he had driven off one of the cliffs. I would have driven right by.

Stepping off my
Old 06-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Opeth
Pro

Lightbulb wow...

So how many people carry?
Old 06-18-2006, 07:37 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Originally Posted by Opeth
not since my unfortunate incarceration
Old 06-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Giantman
Racer

Got a picture of your passanger Lorax?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:08 PM
simmomi
Pro

Originally Posted by Opeth
Actually, this is going to push that situation up for me. Springfield Arms, baby!
Old 06-18-2006, 11:45 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - sounds like quite the adventure. I remember one time driving back from Ohio that for some reason a faithful pickup driver was inspired as I went by and tailed me for a while....who knows??

Quick Reply: Fun on Georgia hwy 19: Mountain roadrage