Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally, my car's look is complete: Bumper mods and rear valence

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally, my car's look is complete: Bumper mods and rear valence

I finally have my car looking how I've wanted it to for a long time now.

A few years ago I was inspired to do the bumper pad delete and snub nose conversion. After sourcing a rear valence, buying a donor front bumper, removing my bumper pads, having the holes welded and the pieces painted, and doing A LOT of research on the good ol' Renny, I could attempt the project myself.

I'm quite happy with the results; the rear looks alot cleaner and more modern, as no cars nowadays have rubber bumper pads, and I've always loved the look of the factory 951 rear valence. It makes the rear look much beefier and meaner. Combined with my wide rear tires (9" wide Cup 1's), the rear of my car looks significantly cooler. And I have no fear of being called a poser for having a Turbo part on my car, as a) it was on the S2 which is NA and b) it was in the factory accesssory catalogue. The spoiler requires the factory (pricey!) hardware, and some drilling in the fenders, which was nerve-racking, but turned out well.

As for the front, the body shop took quite a while to shape and fill the holes around the turn signals, which my welder filled with pieces of aluminum, but there was alot of material to remove and smooth over to make it look good. I removed the lower front valence entirely to access the bumper more easily. I removed my stock bumper, and went over to my new bumper, and drilled holes in the shocks to release the fluid in them. After attaching the bumper and lining it up nicely, I just pushed it in with my knees and measured everywhere to make sure it was all level and straight. Then I reattached the valence. All of this took about 6 hours, dealing with finnicky bolts and tight spots.

I'm really happy with the look of the front of my car, as it accomplishes what the Turbo front does; it's more flush and modern.

I understand I will probably get some old school enthusiasts that will say "you've bastardized your car! It's no longer stock!" and others that will mock me because my car is more vulnerable to damage in fender benders and parking lots. Well, this is my car, I'm well aware of the possibilities of damage, but I think the car now looks how it should. I can't count how many threads on Rennlist I've read about cars in accidents, and after pictures being posted everyone agrees the car is written off and the car is parted out. It doesn't take much to write off these cars. And as for scratches, well, any other new car would have the same issues because they have painted bumpers.

The good part is that all of this work is reversible if I ever decide to revert, with just some minor body work. I still have my complete front bumper, and I just need new bumper pads for the rear and to drill some holes.

I also realize I'm not running a front plate, which is another thing I will deal with when (more like "if") it becomes a problem. I see tons of people around town that compromise their safety with fiberglass body kits, and don't run front plates and never think twice about it. I'm not concerned.

I have a few other minor projects planned, like clear signal lights, and some engine work, but I will start turning some of my attention to my motorcycle, which needs some help getting on the road, before the nice weather is gone!

So this, my friends, is my car! 122k km (~75k miles) and running strong!
Attached Images      
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking VERY nice Brendan!!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:57 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the compliments!

There is a big Porsche meet this weekend (50+ cars) in town, and I'm going to wax it up before going, so I'll get some cleaner pics for sure...
Old 06-15-2006, 11:36 PM
Opeth
Pro

Lightbulb

Looks great!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks great!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 11:49 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Nice work, I know you spent a lot of time on it and it shows!

Trending Topics

Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 AM
87_944s
Addict
Rennlist Member

LooksMUCH better if i do say so myself.....

Eon S.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:54 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful Brandon! Are you coming out to the AutoX this saturday as well? I wanna see the car in person again! I can't make it to the Dundarave thing unfortunately..
Old 06-16-2006, 03:30 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Hmm, I didn't know about the auto x...don't think I can make it to that, Saturday I'll be busy prepping my car for Sunday!

We should definitely organize another GTG soon, I wanna see your car too...

Eon, I haven't seen you on here in a while! Your car was part of my inspiration... I remember the thread showing the progress of you putting your car together a couple years back. That colour is amazing! Do you have a site for your car with more pics? I love the rocker panels the best...where did you get them again? My rockers are getting a bit chipped up, so If I'm going to repaint them I might as well spice it up a bit...
Old 06-16-2006, 04:50 AM
HIGHBOOST
Pro

love the front end
Old 06-16-2006, 10:19 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Beautiful!

When I repaint (eventually), I may do the same thing.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:55 PM
dean944
Racer

saweeeeet!
Old 06-16-2006, 02:59 PM
MyBlackCar
Pro

Very nice!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:08 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

what did you use to fill the holes in the rear bumper endcaps?

looks very nice too btw

Quick Reply: Finally, my car's look is complete: Bumper mods and rear valence