Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 02:39 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guages and other questions

First, wth is this wire? I know the one in the back is an SS-brakeline, but the one in the foreground looks like an ABS sensor, but it does not go to the caliper?

ok, back to the REAL post.

I was poking around today and i saw this:

now, I'm new to 944's but i think thats the water temp sender and the wires are unpluged? the car has not run for more than 5 min (i keep moving it). So it has never gotten warm for me to find out.

Do any of you all run more guages? like fuel pressure and other things? I think they may be helpful when racing so i might get some, any suggestions?

thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First pic... brake pad wear sensor ... ditch it.

Second pic... that is part of the A/C system ditch it. Note the can in the pic is the reciever/dryer for the A/C. Some of the otherwires in the bundle go to the headlights, fog, lights and side lights.

As for extra gauges I only run oil temp.

I used stock water temp and oil pressure.

Fuel pressure is not adjustable in 944 spec or 944 cup so why bother.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:46 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M758
First pic... brake pad wear sensor ... ditch it.

Second pic... that is part of the A/C system ditch it. Note the can in the pic is the reciever/dryer for the A/C. Some of the otherwires in the bundle go to the headlights, fog, lights and side lights.

As for extra gauges I only run oil temp.

I used stock water temp and oil pressure.

Fuel pressure is not adjustable in 944 spec or 944 cup so why bother.

oh sweet!!! i figured it was part of the cooling.. hehe, time to get the sockets back out and go to town!

Where did you get/mount/setup your oil temp? and as for fuel pressure, i have a new pump but I would like to know how its doing that and I'm on my 3rd pump on my subaru (ex-track car).
Old 06-14-2006, 02:52 PM
M758
Race Director

944 fuel pumps pretty much work or they don't.

I replaced mine years ago, but that was on beat old non-running car. Never worried about it since.
I have not heard of any racers with fuel pump or pressure issues.

I mounted my oil temp gauge near my oil pressure gauge. I have a picutre some place, let me dig it up.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Found the pics.

Note in the first pic you can also see that I moved my tach to center hole and rotated it so that 6 is up. Easier to see my shift point this way.

here is a link to the entire oil temp drail plug thread from last year
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...oil+temp+gauge (group by started)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...oil+temp+gauge (aftermath)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...oil+temp+gauge (results from my 105F racing weekend)
Old 06-14-2006, 03:41 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Are you still making those guages? I would really like one

haha, if not i goulg just go and get one at summit or another car place.

how did you relocate the tach? just remove dash and switch the guages?

what all did you hard wire? i see a lot of switches

I think i may start a building a spec racer thread, as I'm sure I'm not the first, nor will i be the last to ask these questions.

thanks joe
Old 06-14-2006, 03:50 PM
M758
Race Director

Contact Brad-Cam for the drail plug sender and eguages.com for the guage

Tach reloacted by pulling the cluster. Dash can say in. Then push each gauge out of their pods.

Well hard wired as follows

DME Power, left cooling fan, right cooling fan, stock fresh air blower dial, key on electric power.

I had a problem with my ignition switch which lead to the wires for that. Fan relay failed in 2000 so just wired them. Fresh air blower I intended to use in case of rain, it never seems to have worked.

I had a problem with the wiper controls in March 2006 so I put in a simple direct wired wiper switch in there too after the pic was taken.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:55 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

who is brad cam, a forum goer?

fresh air blower? i assume a little 12v fan and a tube aimed at the driver?

I think I'm going to wire up the fans and the wipers (as my wiper switch is already foo) and leave everthing else alone for now. I still have a LOT of interior and other things to remove.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:42 PM
M758
Race Director

brad-cam is a lister who made the drain plug sensors.

Fresh air blower is the stock fresh air blower. As you can see from the picture I still have my heater box, but have the vents directed in to defrost mode. My goal was to be able turn on the blower and at least blast outside air at the windshield to prevent fogging. However the blower has not worked in years. Given the little rain we have it was not a problem. However this march at Cal Speedway we ran a race in hail & downpour conditions. Some guys cars's got really foggy. I put shaving cream on the inside of the glass, rain X on the outside and ran one wiper in fixed medium speed mode and hade no visiblity issues at all and finished 3rd out fo 12 cars. I am thinking the shaving cream and air flow from the defrost vents keep the inside from fogging.

Now you may not want to direct wire the wiper since it does not have a return fuction anymore. That mean when I turn the wiper off it stops where ever it is rather then returning to the "down position". Takes a few wipes before I can turn it off out of view. Mine is wired from the battery to the wiper motor and a toggle switch. I did not want it this way, but since the regular switch did not work the morning that march weekend I was pretty much stuck with needing a really quick fix. So rather than tracking down the problem I just bypassed it.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:33 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Behind the driver headlight, ac ( air condition ) pict of your drier and low pressure switch (LPR) for the AC compressor unplugged.
Probably means you have a bad AC compressor or clutch.
Sorry, I spell everything out and abbreviate it for the searches...

Quick Reply: Guages and other questions