Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear valence installed with bumper pad delete

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear valence installed with bumper pad delete

Well I finally got to installing my 951 rear valence.

This has been a priority on my list for a while now, but it took a while to get everything together. First I planned to delete the bumper pads; meaning, remove the bumper, remove the pads (which were rusted and falling apart around the studs anyways), have the holes welded shut, have the sidecap holes patched and filled, then have the surfaces prepped and painted, and re-installing the bumper.

Luckily my dad knows a good welder and I had that done for free, but the painting was a little pricey, mainly due to my piece de grace that I have yet to install But all in all, the effort was worth it.

My friend Randy_J scanned and emailed me an excellent write-up from Excellence Aug. 2001 on how to install a rear valence on an NA. So big thanks to him!

When I climbed under my car, I decided to remove the strange tow hooks that were kindof in the way of the spoiler, but more importantly, looked really ugly. As a matter of fact, I have yet to see a picture of another 944 with these stupid things on! Check the pics below.

I made sure to buy the special mounting hardware for the spoiler which was, with tax, about $65!!! Ridiculous, but I have no idea how else it would have been possible with out the little clips and screws.

Drilling into the side of my car was a little nerve racking, and as many people have experienced, didn't drill the hole in exactly the right spot the first time. So my holes were not perfect, but anywaysthey are covered by the spoiler. I made sure to paint the holes with touchup paint to prevent rust though.

Another thing I did a couple days ago was spray paint parts of my rockers that were sandblasted over the winter...not bad for a spray bomb job.

All in all I'm impressed with the results, but I think one side is off by 2mm or so...not noticeable to anyone but me though! I might be inclined to fix that at some point.

So here we go, the rear of my car is complete!
Attached Images          
Old 06-12-2006, 04:29 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont like it ....send me those hooks will you? i actually just bought a set of new hooks to put in that same spot cuz when its on a trailer its almost impossible to tie down w/o them. I think i know a few locals that may want one of those tow hooks.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Friendan
Drifting

What don't you like?

I think I'm going to keep the hooks because I'm using the bracket with the studs and the nuts to plug the holes, otherwise I would have six holes for water to get in my hatch.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Friendan]
When I climbed under my car, I decided to remove the strange tow hooks that were kindof in the way of the spoiler, but more importantly, looked really ugly. As a matter of fact, I have yet to see a picture of another 944 with these stupid things on!
QUOTE]

I've got them on my n/a. Will try to post pics after work. If you ask me, Id rather have tow hooks and rubber pads on my bumper just incase the unthinkable happens.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:15 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i was being sarcastic since my car is exactly the same- except different. Seriously though i want those hooks. they come in handy.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh how I envy your exhaust hangers!!

I bought a rear valance for my moms car and noticed there are studs on the side of the valance with no corresponding holes in the body. Is it nessecary to drill through them if the valance is secured with nuts and bolts on the underside?? If I DO have to drill, she can't know about it (she is freaking **** about what touches her car etc) Do you have a copy of that excellence article?

thanks and NICE car
mike
Old 06-12-2006, 05:20 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

yes...must drill...
Old 06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Those hooks were used from the factory to tie down on the boat ride over, and were removed before sold. I just put on an aftermarket one for tie down and towing for track and dyno. Its mad tight JDM, just like these: http://www.benen.com/honda_civic_92-95_tow_hook.html

I'll post a pic when I get my camera back today, but these are the ones. http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval I have two, not sure if I will mount the other one or not... It will be useful for the dyno to have both.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Sorry Mike, but you gotta drill! It's not like you see the holes or anything, and if you ever remove the valence, you can fill the holes and repaint...no biggie.

Interesting info Eyal, so I guess someone forgot to remove them when it got to the dealership in Toronto? By the way they were a pain in the *** to remove, only 2 of the 6 were accessible with a socket, the rest went a 1/4 turn at a time with a 17mm wrench

I figured you were being sarcastic Dan...can't tell through typing sometimes! Yours looks awesome btw. Well if the hooks come in handy, I may have to keep them...I'm trying to keep all my OEM stuff, just in case...
Old 06-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'd really like to do the pad delete on my rear bumper, but don't want to try it just yet. I'll do some practice painting and filling on my front bumper first.
Here are pics of the hooks:
Old 06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Those look nicer than mine...

And I love the clear turn signals, that's also on my list...
Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 PM
PORobinSCHE
Racer

Hmmm looks like i'll be making some hooks at work soon!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Royalty
Banned

oh hell yes. I just got mine and this is perfect.

Quick Reply: Rear valence installed with bumper pad delete