Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TURTLE WAX ICE

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:14 PM
nineeagles
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TURTLE WAX ICE

Has anyone else tried the new Turtle Wax "ICE". For a long time I have been partial to Zymol Polish but Saturday I decided to try their ad campagne claims.
I was impressed because my car is black and using the white polish was always a chore to get off everywhere (like in the seams, rubber window gaskets, etc.) By using this new "clear" polymer I cut the time to wax my 944 in half. It was much easier because the polymer also makes the black rubber pieces nice and black. Buffing was a breeze because there is no white in the seams or on the rubber. I even did my bumper pads with it and they look great. Now lets see how long it lasts
Old 06-12-2006, 03:28 PM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Pics??!!

Thanks for the opinions, but a picture is worth a thousand words
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just waxed the 924 with Mothers Wax, my car is black also, and the paint turned out great, but now all the rubber pieces have white streaks. i'd love to see pics, this turtle wax ICE seems like a good swap if it doens't leave residue.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:11 PM
Crunky
Pro

I've used the ICE, its ok, I mean its not bad, but sure isnt the best stuff out there. When I used it, it set up FAST, I had to do one small area at a time to keep from having to re-do the whole car. Also, I don't like how liquidy(is that a word?) I mean how thin it is, its like water. I have had better luck with the Meguiars spray Quick Wax, if your careful with it, I think its much faster than the TW ICE.

But that Zymol you mentioned, now that is excellent stuff, the best non-spray stuff I have ever used, sure it takes longer, but man when I do my whole car by hand with it, it makes me feel good becasue of how great looking it turns out. It takes a while, but it looks good, and is long lasting.
Oh, and to help with the white residue on you trim and such, try the mothers back to black, it stays greasy wich I don't like, but it makes it shine good though. Or try out the Stoners Trim Shine, not so greasy, but doesn't shine the black trim, like bumper pads, spoiler ect, as well.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Scooter
Instructor

I tried it on my black 951 as well, and I can't say I was very impressed. Yes it was quick and easy, but I don't think it gave me the deep shine that a wax will do. It was also pretty useless on swirls and minor scratches. About a week after I tried it the local paper's auto section reviewed the product and found pretty much the same thing.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,257 Posts

To begin with anything is better than Zymol on black paint. I found Mcguires Scratch X with a buffer and terry cover gets the paint near perfect and then a coating of Blitz wax or P21 works best. Very easy, little clean up and nice deep shine. Made my 100k mile piant job look like it only had 30k on it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM
nineeagles
Pro

The Zymol did give a deeper shine but a pain to remove the excess residue from the seams. The "ice" was easier but the shine doesn't look as deep. Does anyone know what most upper grade car dealers are using to get that overall shine on vehicles. Once I had a vehicle that needed a repair from a local dealer (not national dealer) and the repair only took about 1/2 hour. I came back to pick up the car and WOW. Whaterver they did made the paint look new. Even the glass was spotless and the rubber was black and shiny. I know they didn't have time to detail the car in 1/2 hour. Am I losing it or do they have a secret???
Old 06-13-2006, 10:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nineeagles
The Zymol did give a deeper shine but a pain to remove the excess residue from the seams. The "ice" was easier but the shine doesn't look as deep. Does anyone know what most upper grade car dealers are using to get that overall shine on vehicles. Once I had a vehicle that needed a repair from a local dealer (not national dealer) and the repair only took about 1/2 hour. I came back to pick up the car and WOW. Whaterver they did made the paint look new. Even the glass was spotless and the rubber was black and shiny. I know they didn't have time to detail the car in 1/2 hour. Am I losing it or do they have a secret???
A lot of dealers will use a silicon based product to make it look deep and shinny but it really sucks. You want to avoid products containing silicon at all costs even on your tire care products.

I agree the Zymol gives a nice deep shine for a while but it is not worth the aggrivation. I found you had to wash the car immediately after polishing it to remove the residue. I also found that that deep shine was gone after about 6-8 washings.

The Scratch X/P21 method works just as good and takes half the time with little or no residue and wiull last twice as long. A good clean paint will not require much to maintain and if you wax it every 3 months once cleaned, if it sits outside, you will have little problems. You should still clean/polish the car once a year at minimum.

Most of these new products are all fluff and are not worth a dime. A good paint shine takes work and is worth the effort, a quick shine is just that.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Crunky
Pro

Hmmm, you have me interested in this new method of yours, but I don't know what P21 is. Do you have a pic of the bottle, maybe I'd recognize if I saw it. Also, where do you go about buying it? I know about thr Scratch-X, though I have never used it either. Thanks in advance....
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Sorry no pictures.

They advertise in Excellence and other car magazines. You can buy it from most of the performance shops like AJusa.com etc. Their products are all very good even their polish I just find the scratch x works at removing the minor scratches better with a little less effort.

I was also told that they sell the same exact product at most Motorcycle shops under the P100 name and it costs much less.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Crunky
Pro

Thats great, thers probably 4-5 motorcycle shops within 8 miles of my work, I'll pick some up when I go to work tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:30 PM
jenket944
Pro

Interestingly, Consumer Reports just released a review of car waxes/polishes in their latest issue. Interesting read. Some surprising results as P21S wasn't the best-rated paste-based wax and several liquid-based waxes rated better than Zymol.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:31 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Could you post the top list?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jenket944
Interestingly, Consumer Reports just released a review of car waxes/polishes in their latest issue. Interesting read. Some surprising results as P21S wasn't the best-rated paste-based wax and several liquid-based waxes rated better than Zymol.
I find for price and ease of use the P21 is very good. It doesn't leave any residue to speak of and if you have clear bra on your car it easily wipes off the edges without the need of a brush. It also doesn't dry your hands out like some waxes and I like to apply the wax with my fingers for the Concours events as it gives better results when heated with your fingers. I actually like Blitz wax for the longest lasting shine but you have to work very hard at removing it and it leaves a residue.

Color of a car can also influence the end result. Don't forget paints have changed considerably over the years and what works on some newer paints might night give you the same results on older paints. You need to find what works best for your cars paint and if ease of use or long lasting shine is most important.

I am also interested in what the article has to say as far as top brands and what criteria they used to come to their conclusions. I must assume that these were tested on clear coated paints only.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:56 AM
jenket944
Pro

I'll scan the pages and post tonight. Or check your local magazine stand...

Quick Reply: TURTLE WAX ICE