Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:36 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heh, I forgot all about those threads. Those group buys kinda died off didn't they.

I've got a call in to a local custom motorcycle shop that carries the Deka brand. Maybe I can revive a GB if anyone's interested. I should have the pricing info by tomorrow.

Thanks potent and Bart for the heads up on the Excellence article. I'll have to pick up a copy of that.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's that VW thread that tests Deka batteries.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2353060

The manufacturer only claim CCA of 200, but the guy's tests claim much higher. Heck for ~$60, I'd give it a shot!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:46 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did send/receive a few notes with Scott from USRT (Braille dist.). While he conceded that the Braille does come off the exact same lines as the Deka, he had some more to add:

Originally Posted by Scott @ USRT
the Braille B14115 and the Deka EXT14 batteries come off exactly the same production line. As with any electrochemical device the quality varies significantly. Three years ago the variance in both cranking amps and reserve capacity was huge. So, since some batteries tested well beyond the desired performance level, Deka sought to create a performance brand to market the best of the batches. That way they could get maximum profits from the units that performed much better than the rest. Thus, the Braille brand was created.

Since then the production methods have matured a bit and the product quality has become more consistent. Now we see some EXT14s approaching the quality of those selected to be Brailles. The average EXT14 is far lower than the average Braille, though. This difference was muddled this summer, however, when a batch of the batteries was mixed up after they left the production line. So, we got a string of "Braille" failures as well as some Dekas with extraordinary performance. A VW enthusiast sampled some of these and publicized his findings. At this point the bad Brailles have been weeded out and the strongest Dekas are mostly distributed. That brings us to where we are today.

A big differentiator right now is that the Brailles deliver a guaranteed level of performance whereas the Dekas are a matter of rolling dice. The Brailles are backed by 1 and 2-year free-replacement warranties while the Dekas have no such protection. Furthermore, USRT also backs the Brailles with implementation knowledge and customer service. Buying a Deka puts you at the mercy of a random battery distributor. And, if the battery tests with 200CCA or more (which is less than necessary for reliable starts in a VW), then you are not covered at all.

This is the straight poop about these battery options. Please let me know if you have further questions. I'll be happy to clarify any other concerns.

Cheers,

--
Scott F. Williams
Team Director
Usually Sideways Rally Team
www.usrallyteam.com
So use that information as you wish. I'll hand it to Scott for telling the truth and he appears to be a good guy to deal with. However, I'll likely roll the dice with a Deka. I'd get about 3 or 4 rolls before covering the added cost of the Braille.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:57 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Great information guys, thanks!
Old 06-07-2006, 04:45 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

FWIW, earlier I inquired about the Offensive Power batteries from the seller. He just replied back that they are made by the same company that makes the Braille battery (and therefore apparently Deka.) I thought that was interesting to note.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:25 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DanG
I did send/receive a few notes with Scott from USRT (Braille dist.). While he conceded that the Braille does come off the exact same lines as the Deka, he had some more to add:

So use that information as you wish. I'll hand it to Scott for telling the truth and he appears to be a good guy to deal with. However, I'll likely roll the dice with a Deka. I'd get about 3 or 4 rolls before covering the added cost of the Braille.
I've seen Scott from USRT around the vwvortex forums for years now. He gets a lot of praise from the VW crowd, so I wouldn't be worried about his credibility.

That being said, I'm still going with the much cheaper lightweight battery alternative too...you can always jump it, should it crap out on you at the track.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:27 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone can get a GB together for the Deka and auto terminals, I'm in!!

Quick Reply: Lightweight battery