Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Problems (noise when turning)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 01:01 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Power Steering Problems (noise when turning)- Update

OK, i'm going to try my best to describe my problems, as usually i cant describe anything very well.

ok, so my power steering has been kind of weird in the past few days. sometimes during the first startup if i need to turn the wheel (to get out of my driveway, etc), if i turn the wheel, it feels like it hits a little "stop" or something, then it'll go again for another inch, then stop, then go, then stop, then go. all while moving (not turning the wheel while standing still). if i press the gas (turn the pump?) it gets a bit easier, and the "go, stop, go, stop" thing gets a bit easier, i.e. the wheel will move....say 3 inches instead of 1.

after i get out of my driveway (car is parked uphill, not downhill), the steering is usually normal. if i park the car flat, it wont happen, but it doesnt happen every time i park on an incline. in fact, it's only happened about 3 times in the last month.

and now, for the past 2 or 3 days, i notice a bit of noise, and vibration in the wheel (and some in the gas pedal, i'm guessing because of engine effort to turn the pump) when i make a right turn.

i cant really describe the sound, but it corresponds with the vibration, like...a vibrating sound.

it doesnt make the sound when turning left (am i doomed to a world of NASCAR? )

also, when the car is warming up, driving in a straight line makes the steering wheel shake a bit. i always have to use the same road to get out of my house, so i cant tell if it's the road or not, but when i get on the freeway (probably worse condition), the shake goes away.

when i come back home, and the car's warmed up, the steering wheel doesnt shake on the same road, so i doubt it's the road.

do i have a p/s pump problem? or is there something else i should be worried about?

TIA, guys.

Last edited by 95Juan; 06-21-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2006 | 01:48 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

I don't know about the shakeing or noise, but my car does the go, stop, go, stop thing when the fluid is even a little below the low mark. Like yours, reving the engine makes it work much better. I've got enought leaks that I just top it off every other time I get gas, which seems to be a good temporary solution.
Old 06-05-2006 | 01:50 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

that's the thing, is that i've just put more in there.....

but that could be a part of the problem....i'll try to add some later tonight and see if that works..

thanks
Old 06-05-2006 | 03:23 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

I would also check the mounting bolts that hold the pump in place. They work loose over time and a loose pump will display symptoms as you described. The front mounting nut on mine disappeared along with the spacer.

I resealed the pump at the same time and replaced the spacer with a pile of washers for now...until I find another spacer.
Old 06-05-2006 | 03:42 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mike B
I would also check the mounting bolts that hold the pump in place. They work loose over time and a loose pump will display symptoms as you described. The front mounting nut on mine disappeared along with the spacer.

I resealed the pump at the same time and replaced the spacer with a pile of washers for now...until I find another spacer.

i just changed the belts, and when i changed the P/S belt, this little metallic piece fell out from the top (looks like a cylinder, with a hole in it, and a "slit" cut into it, kinda like those things on the alternator so you can mount them), i sent it to my mechanic, and they fixed it all up.

the stop-go-stop-go thing hasnt happened since.....last friday..

but the noise when turning still happens. could this be the rack, or the pump?
Old 06-05-2006 | 04:25 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

From: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

i got this clunk when i turn right, at low speeds, not sure if its related to your problem, but if u find a solution ill try it. it just started doing it last week, my p/s pump wasnt mounted, so i threw in a bolt on the back and replaced the turnbuckle. ill have to check the fluid. im thinking since the belt is now gripping the pully its putting more pressure on the rack causing it to leak more. but im not sure if thats related to the clunk. guess it doesnt matter, im not gonna drive the car anymore. just let me know what u find out
Old 06-05-2006 | 04:29 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

a steering clunk or a suspension clunk?

i get a clunk from the right side when i go over a bump too hard or i turn (either way) sometimes. but that's because of the springs....or so i've been told...
Old 06-05-2006 | 04:51 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

From: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.

could be both i think my struts are loose but the clunk comes from the right side of the car.
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:02 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SwiftyZenBadd
could be both i think my struts are loose but the clunk comes from the right side of the car.

dont you just hate it when random seemingly unsolveable crap comes up?

like this thing with the steering. i know my mechanic would have it sorted out right quick, but it'd cost me a pretty penny.

aughhhhh....
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:08 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

i say go with manual steering. i loved it. true ninjas use their incredible ninja strength to turn the wheel
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:09 PM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

i need some special socket to tighten the sturt bolt in the center, which i dont have....so yeah, on top of that im gettin a fuel smell coming from the inner fender so shes not leaving the garage. i need someone to buy all of my **** so i can start ordering parts, and then its on, all new suspension, timing chain kit, water pump, and whatever else i can repair while in there, then i want to polish the engine like whats his name did.
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:23 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JakeRx
i say go with manual steering. i loved it. true ninjas use their incredible ninja strength to turn the wheel

i'm this close to having my mechanic just cap off everything that makes my power rack power.

they did that with the '84, and it worked out pretty good.

manual steering rules when you're humungously powerful.....

but if i can, i'd like to work out whatever problem it's having....

edit- stupid question-is there any kind of special power steering fluid i'm supposed to use?
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:24 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

I had actually bought the manual rack, and late offset manual tie rods and manual steering shaft as well. They were brand new but I sold them a while back when I decided that I would be selling the 944.
Old 06-05-2006 | 05:33 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

yeah, not sure if i have the cashola to buy a manual rack.

but i hear just running the power rack with no power isnt exactly wise...
Old 06-05-2006 | 11:06 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
yeah, not sure if i have the cashola to buy a manual rack.

but i hear just running the power rack with no power isnt exactly wise...
I asked the same question of a respected Porsche trained tech....he said it would hurt nothing.

In my case I just removed the p/s belt until I could find the goofy spacers.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Problems (noise when turning)