Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could cry......

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I could cry......

I was cruising on the highway last weekend on my way to the Lake berryessa run and saw something in the lane in front of me.....couldnt quite figure out what it was until it was too late......a dam hubcab had come off the Scion that was in front of me and I wasnt able to avoid it in time (semi on my right...center divider on my left)......so it hit the front of the car with an ugly bang......I had the bra on which may have absorbed some of the impact.....plus I have the plastic shields on my fog lights which probably saved it......but the impact knocked a big chunk of paint off my bumper.......dam this sucks......

Anyway....suggestions on what I should do....can I just get that spot repainted??....have to get the whole bumper repainted??........
Attached Images  
Old 06-04-2006, 08:49 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 98 Posts

All things considered, I think it does not look too bad. The main thing will be whether the polyurethane has been cracked, and it does not look like it.

Your paint looks very nice, and although it would be possible to blend in a repair, the cost and time to do it well should be about the same as just having the unit re-done entirely. A good shop should be able to do this job both well, and fairly fast.

Remember if you decide to do it yourself, the paint type you use will probably need a flex enhancing additive.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouch!
Old 06-04-2006, 08:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A good paint guy can probably blend that in, but you might weigh that against what it would cost to paint the entire bumper and see how it compares.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ouchie! Youre lucky it didnt crack mr foggy.

Oh wait didnt read the plastic sheild part. It doesnt look that bad.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

doesn't look that bad, the best part is it missed the fog light (expensive). Depending on the age of the paint it could be blended but the labor to do that might be more than just having the whole bumper cover done, unless you can do it your self. bumper doesn't look cracked, I call it very lucky indeed! I wich my luck was that good sometimes!
Old 06-06-2006, 01:03 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree - get quotes for both options. Painting the whole bumper could make it a slightly different color than the rest of the body. If a little patch is a different color, the blended edges would sort of feather it into the rest of the body color. Plus, it's down towards the ground where people don't look. Since garnet red may be hard to reproduce exactly, painting the whole bumper may make it look off.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could have hit your hood, and bounced into your windshield! Lucky it only broke some paint. Was that bumper re-painted at some point? Paint with more flex wouldn't have broke off like that, I don't think.

If you don't want to get the bumper re-sprayed, give it a try yourself with a primer and a spray can. Mask everything, and see how it comes out. With a little sanding, and polishing, it might look good enough to save you $$ !
Old 06-06-2006, 10:58 AM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Need another bra? I've got one I'm not using!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:31 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndyK
Could have hit your hood, and bounced into your windshield! Lucky it only broke some paint. Was that bumper re-painted at some point? Paint with more flex wouldn't have broke off like that, I don't think.

If you don't want to get the bumper re-sprayed, give it a try yourself with a primer and a spray can. Mask everything, and see how it comes out. With a little sanding, and polishing, it might look good enough to save you $$ !
I was kind of surprised that much paint came off......I believe the bumper had been repainted.......I will try painting myself to save some $$....but I doubt it will look very good.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:00 PM
dacula951
Instructor

If your auto policy has comprehensive you should be able to get a payment.

Too bad, it was probably caused by some monkey at a tire shop that didn't care about the quality of his work.

Quick Reply: I could cry......