Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Euro-bumper comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Euro-bumper comparisons

Another thread prompted me to take some pics. So here they are:

What we have here are three bumpers. The top one is US-spec. The middle one is aluminum Euro-spec. The lower one is (badly damaged) fiberglass Euro-spec.

Note that the fiberglass Euro bumper is the only bumper that has the nice indentation that lines up with the lower air dam. The fiberglass Euro bumper also has the trim piece over it with the mini-bumperette.

I'm not sure what trim pieces are supposed to be on the aluminum Euro-bumper....

The trim pieces from a fiberglass Euro-bumper does not fit on the aluminum one -- different bolt locations.

And different size

If you were to mount a fiberglass Euro-bumper using stock bumper shocks, it would stick out a little (the aluminum one does not).

Any questions?
The following users liked this post:
Stearman88! (01-25-2020)
Old 05-24-2006, 09:38 PM
flosho
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could collapse the front bumper shocks, and that would bring it in nice and tight to the side fenders, right? I mean if you hit something, that fiberglass is gonna shatter anyways..
Old 05-24-2006, 09:41 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Thanks for the education.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Royal Tiger
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like these little informal educational threads. Can we have the interior seat materials next? Cloth, vinyl, leather, colors and patterns?
Old 05-24-2006, 10:47 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

course if you use the proper- or turbo- shocks for the euro fiberglass it fits right on perfect.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2006, 11:51 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Originally Posted by flosho
You could collapse the front bumper shocks, and that would bring it in nice and tight to the side fenders, right? I mean if you hit something, that fiberglass is gonna shatter anyways..
You can -- just be sure not to collapse the shocks all the way, or you'll find it difficult to insert the mounting bolt (I found that out parting out a car that was in a front-end collision...).
Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The aluminum euro bumper does not have any trim pieces mounted to it. It only has two heavier bumperettes to the inside of the driving lights.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:33 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-25-2006, 10:24 AM
alordofchaos
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the very educational post

I learn something new here every day!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Shameless plug, anyone have a set of euro mounting brackets they want to sell? Ive contacted a few places and im waiting to here back. However i have a feeling each mount brand new will run roughly $40-50....DOH!

Just wanted to add, 944 Turbo bumper shocks do not work with the euro bumper. They could possibly be made to work with some grinding, but i am not sure if grinding off the material to make it fit will cause the shock to depressurize.. a fair amount of material needs to be removed.

This first picture shows the actual mounting location for the bumper.

This picture shows the Turbo bumper shock against the mounting point.. you can get a rough idea as to how much material would need to be grinded off that little cylinder the bolt goes through.

However even grinding that point down, the shock body diameter is still too large, this is why i dont think it would be wise to grind the body down.. it would probably have the same effect as drilling the shock and collapsing it for the regular 8v n/a American bumper. Meaning it would have no shock absorbing ability. Also from the guy i bought the bumper from, said that the euro mounts are much lighter, each bumper shock weighs roughly 3lbs each.. the euro mounts weigh less than 1lb each. Speaking of weight savings, i believe with all said and done the euro bumper + mounts is something like 15lbs less i was told.

An interesting fact is the front and rear euro bumper mounts are the same part. Here is what the mount looks like, thanks to 944Online for this..

The particular bumper i bought is from the euro 924 and 924 Turbo. It uses a bumper pad as well, however its smaller and horn shaped rather than the square type on the euro 944.

This is what it looks like with the pad mounted on this 924T.

I plan to have the body shop fill in the holes for the pad, so the look will be almost exactly to that of what XSboost's car looked like with the euro bumper.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:53 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Shameless plug, anyone have a set of euro mounting brackets they want to sell? Ive contacted a few places and im waiting to here back. However i have a feeling each mount brand new will run roughly $40-50....DOH!

Just wanted to add, 944 Turbo bumper shocks do not work with the euro bumper. They could possibly be made to work with some grinding, but i am not sure if grinding off the material to make it fit will cause the shock to depressurize.. a fair amount of material needs to be removed.

This first picture shows the actual mounting location for the bumper.

This picture shows the Turbo bumper shock against the mounting point.. you can get a rough idea as to how much material would need to be grinded off that little cylinder the bolt goes through.

However even grinding that point down, the shock body diameter is still too large, this is why i dont think it would be wise to grind the body down.. it would probably have the same effect as drilling the shock and collapsing it for the regular 8v n/a American bumper. Meaning it would have no shock absorbing ability. Also from the guy i bought the bumper from, said that the euro mounts are much lighter, each bumper shock weighs roughly 3lbs each.. the euro mounts weigh less than 1lb each. Speaking of weight savings, i believe with all said and done the euro bumper + mounts is something like 15lbs less i was told.

An interesting fact is the front and rear euro bumper mounts are the same part. Here is what the mount looks like, thanks to 944Online for this..

The particular bumper i bought is from the euro 924 and 924 Turbo. It uses a bumper pad as well, however its smaller and horn shaped rather than the square type on the euro 944.

This is what it looks like with the pad mounted on this 924T.

I plan to have the body shop fill in the holes for the pad, so the look will be almost exactly to that of what XSboost's car looked like with the euro bumper.
Jon - what are you going to do about the fog lights? Just curious.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
RMills944
Drifting

TECHNO:
I'd chop the middle of the top piece of steel and bottom piece of steel and weld up (TIG if it's aluminum) a plate above the top and below the bottom with holes in them. This wouldn't set you back much money, and you can just put a bolt directly through that to the shock and out the other side and do minimal grinding on the shock and the shock's body wouldn't be too large to fit in between the steel(aluminum) plates that way. It wouldn't be that bad if you can do that yourself...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Matt, going to test my skills of fiberglass and make brake ducts similar to what XSBoost did with his.

Ryan, i am working on getting a set of the euro mounts.. can probably get them for under $100 shipped from the UK. Thats better than buying a set of the turbo shocks for say $30.. then ruining them to find out it dosent work right!

I have the bumper at the body shop right now for paint and with any luck ill have a set of the mounts sent out to me by tomorrow. Also working on finding the rubber pads.. just gotta here about shipping those from the UK also.

On a side note, i went to the dealer to see what they could do about ordering the mounts for me. If you had about $600 to burn, you could order the mounts and the bumper direct through the dealer. The bumper cost was i believe $395 and the mounts were about $50 each. Shipping was included in those prices to the dealer. It would take about a month to get them here though, the guy said for an extra $25 he could get them for me in probably a week or so. Just food for thought for those of you really wanting to get the euro look going.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:32 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Can't you just buy those ducts from somewhere? I thought I saw them before.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:58 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Also working on finding the rubber pads.. just gotta here about shipping those from the UK also.
Jon, I have the trim pieces from the fiberglass Euro bumper in the first picture. You want them?

Unfortunately, the bumper itself is damaged in multiple pieces and beyond repair (unless you're really good with fiberglass -- and it still won't look nice).

Quick Reply: Euro-bumper comparisons