Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra-Shield Rally Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 04:13 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra-Shield Rally Seats

After years of talking about getting proper seats and 5pt harnesses I finally got off the side lines. I decided to go with the Ultra-Shield rally aluminum race seats, 16" 10degree layback for the driver and 18" for the passenger (you never know what size or shape a passenger/instructor may come in. )

The belts are Schroth Profi II ASM FE which can be used as 4,5 or 6pt and are street legal.

The old and the new

For mounting I went with Kirkey Universal Seat Brackets and Summit Universal Dual Locking Sliding Seat Brackets. They were all bolted to the seats with carriage bolts and an additional washer on the inside.

To adapt the sliders to the stock mounting points I used 1/8th x 1.5 inch steel plates and 1 inch and 2 inch plate for the passenger’s side. The sliders had mounting bolts for mounting to the floor. The rear ones were drilled out and on the drivers side they aligned with the first of the two rear bolt holes. The front ones were left and used to bolt it to the plate. With the passengers side the inboard rear hole aligned but the width of the seat the 2 inched were needed on the out board side were required to make up the difference. Ideally a 2.25-2.5 inch plate would have been ideal.

First fitting.

Mounting of the belts was straight forward. The lap on the outboard side was bolted to the stock mounting. The inboard side required drilling and placing a nut plate on the back side of the tunnel. The sub strap was bolted through the floor up front and through a stiffening ridge and another nut plate. The shoulder straps are mounted to a John Hajny bolt in rollbar.

Final results.

I am real pleased with the seats. The only cravat is I'm 6 foot and the 16 inch seat could stand to be a bit longer in the torso. The 18 is a better fit in that way but too wide. I believe for more $$$ Ultra-Shield would build one to my specifications.

Everyone asks how much, so....
Seat $220 each
mounts $39 set
sliders $25 set
belts $245 set
sub $15 each
nut plates $10 each (Note: belts came with one each)
flat stock $25 total
misc bolts, etc. $18 total
Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice, i just did a similar upgrade. Do you do alot of DE events or just autox?
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2006, 08:22 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Very nice, looks like some high quality equipment! Now get out on track!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:44 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
nice, i just did a similar upgrade. Do you do alot of DE events or just autox?
Nice seats there.

I do about a 50-50 mix of DE and autox. A couple of years ago I did have an off up at Watkins Glen where I put it backwards into the tires entering the laces of the boot. With the stock equipment that was most likely the safest way to have gone off. It definitely gets your attention and reorients your upgrade plans.

Quick Reply: Ultra-Shield Rally Seats