Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Help! how to drive unregistered 944 home

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:16 PM
dmn23
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VWaddict's advice is almost identical to the advice I received before I brought my car from Birmingham to Nashville. My alternatives at the time were to 1) drive with no tag for 200 miles, or 2) throw one of my own tags on the car. The cop I spoke to said DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES swap my tags. He also said that if I had the title, insurance info, etc. that I would almost certainly drive away from a stop with no harm done -- just a little explaining to do. As it turned out, the previous owner neglected to remove his tags from the car, so I just drove it home that way.

My vote is drive with no tags, mind your manners and you'll probably be fine.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some states do not issue temporary tags.

That said, do what you like. Just realize that if you do something illegal and get caught you could rue the day.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:33 PM
cambria
Racer

After you have the title in hand, go to the DMV in Indy, and get a temp sticker. Drive there in your car or have the owner take you, but drive home legally.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I'll call the DMV here tomorrow and see what they recommend. Are you staying overnight?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

He's not a dealer. It is a Porsche repair shop. IT is a private sale.

I am flying in on Sunday so I can't go to the Indy DMV even if they would issue a tag which they won't. And Colorado won't issue a temp tag or transit tag unless you show up in person with the title.

Towing the car home would cost about a jillion dollars in gas.

My gut says just be honest and not put a tag on it.

-K
Old 05-19-2006, 10:01 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by nkgosselin
He's not a dealer. It is a Porsche repair shop. IT is a private sale.

I am flying in on Sunday so I can't go to the Indy DMV even if they would issue a tag which they won't. And Colorado won't issue a temp tag or transit tag unless you show up in person with the title.

Towing the car home would cost about a jillion dollars in gas.

My gut says just be honest and not put a tag on it.

-K

Can you stay over until Monday if the Indy DMV would issue a temp? I'll ask to see they would. There has to be an appropriate way to handle this.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:27 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
Can you stay over until Monday if the Indy DMV would issue a temp? I'll ask to see they would. There has to be an appropriate way to handle this.
It seems that Indy won't issue a tag right without paperwork? The car is in another state and they won't issue a temp right? Drive the car during the most busy times, not at night. Even if you get a citation in a tweener state the final registration in Indiana will clear it all up. Be an outlaw and drive like a good citizen, you'll be fine. I drove a 61 VW bug with 1959 Alberta, Canada plates for 3 years in Calif. in 1974 for almost 18 months trying to clear the paperwork up. If you get pulled over hand the officer a thick bundle of paperwork and he will send you on your way...trust me
Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 PM
MJDore
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Drove mine home to Nashville from Tampa with the tags off another one of my vehicles on it. I had the bill of sale and title just in case but I just kept her around the speed limit to be safe. If you don't give em a reason to pull you over (like driving without a plate) they'll never know.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 AM
Bart
Nordschleife Master

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Put another plate on there and you're gauranteed a ticket or worse. Besides, the fact you're driving a sports car is enough reason to draw attention to yourself. As long as you have the bill of sale, insurance, etc, you shouldn't have any problem with no tag. And if it's dated the same day or so that you're pulled over, that should verify the story for you. If it was two weeks later than the date on the bill of sale, then they would probably be more suspicious. A large sign on the back hatch window that says "IN TRANSIT" might help to give the officer what to expect when/if he stops you.

Also, if you DO get a ticket or warning, be sure to show it to the officer in subsequent stops so they can see the info has been verified by another officer already. May save the other officer some time to see that and not go through the hassle of verifying the info again.

They may ask you to step out of the car so they can look for drugs, etc so be prepared to do so willingly. You'll be dealing probably mostly with state troopers who are used to seeing idiot drug couriers carrying kilos of dope with no plates, thinking they won't get stopped. Be courteous, helpful and, above all, honest.

If you're REALLY concerned about it, check w/every DMV or law enforcement agency in the states you are crossing by phone and verify the requirements of each state. Just call the state patrol HQ of each state; they can tell you right away without sending you into a bueracratic hell hole.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:55 PM
nkgosselin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't stay overnight. I'll called the Indy DMV and they said they would not issue a temp because I don't live there. I need to be back to work on tuesday. I don't plan on driving at 2am either. Don't trust myself not to fall asleep.

Slow and steady. I'll report what happens on the trip. Say a prayer to the P-car Gods for me.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like this topic struck a chord for how difficult it is just to drive a car back home.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:25 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Okay, if someone you know someone in VA you can order a temp plate online if you aren't 100% honest...

I drove a car home with a bill of sale, title, etc all paperwork and (forgive my stupidity) homemade temp tags (based off of a copy of a temp tag from a dealer in Vermont that I had..) from Stratford CT to NY with lots of breakdowns on the way. The CT State Police didn't notice anything when they were checking out the car, but when driving home at night on my way to 684, I get pulled over for a busted running light. The two troopers come up and start asking questions. Proof of insurance? Registration? etc I told them I just the bought the car and was driving it home. They ask for my license I hand them my junior license (couldn't even be driving legally at the time since it was night time) and my older sister hands them her permit (no license yet..) and they start asking questions. Where are we from, where are we going, etc and I'm starting to get nervous.

Turns out my sister went to the same college as one of the troopers and they were really flirting with her (she is a pretty lady, reason I'm going to LA later this month is for a few photoshoots and shes going to the playboy mansion for a party.. I can't go unless I pay 1K ) and told us we would be much less obvious during the day time. Told us to our grandmothers (down the st) and leave in the morning.

Next time I had to pick up a car (my 944) I bought it sight unseen, registered it here and had no worries driving it home. I reccomend doing it a legal means - it would suck to loose your new 951 wouldn't it?
Old 05-20-2006, 05:40 PM
mnypit944
Instructor

Originally Posted by nkgosselin
I can't stay overnight. I'll called the Indy DMV and they said they would not issue a temp because I don't live there. I need to be back to work on tuesday. I don't plan on driving at 2am either. Don't trust myself not to fall asleep.

Slow and steady. I'll report what happens on the trip. Say a prayer to the P-car Gods for me.

Thanks for the advice. Seems like this topic struck a chord for how difficult it is just to drive a car back home.

You get the temp tag in your own state, not the state you are buying the car in. Didnt I also hear that this was a dealer you were buying it from?? He should be able to provide you one.

It is easy to drive it home if you dont get stopped. I am just giving you the worst case scenerio. Believe it or not, I have done it many times too. I just got caught once and it sucked. I have done it since, so this is a case of do as I say not as I do. I would just never want you to come back and say, Hey you told me it was ok, because it is not. It is illegal. Just remember there are alternatives. The tow dolley is the least expensive. Unless you plan on flying in and driving home. If so, good luck. Try to plead with the owner to let you use his tag to get it home unless it is expired. Even if you have to leave him a deposit to assure you will send it back once you get home.

It would really suck to break down and have an officer stop to help you and end up citing you wouldnt it.

Good luck again.
I dont think I would try driving it across state lines without proper tags, but I have been on the bad end of a pissed off cop in that situation, so I am biased.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mnypit944
It would really suck to break down and have an officer stop to help you and end up citing you wouldnt it.

Good luck again.
I dont think I would try driving it across state lines without proper tags, but I have been on the bad end of a pissed off cop in that situation, so I am biased.
I think he is past that point. He has said that he can't get the correct paperwork at either end. Be an outlaw and hope for the best. Be polite and explain the circumstances if pulled over but go for it without plates. If worst comes to worst put a paper license in the frame from a Porsche dealer and hope for the best...it's not like you are facing a felony. Nearly 1/3 of the people in this state have expired plates, no drivers license, or no insurance; they gamble every day and hope they won't get caught. Just get the car home and you will feel better one way or another.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it 600 miles with the license plate from a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE. Done that once.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rock
Drive it 600 miles with the license plate from a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE. Done that once.
Rock-We all know about your run of luck...are you sure you want him to tempt the Gods again in your name?

Quick Reply: OT: Help! how to drive unregistered 944 home