Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finding kick panels...

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM
Crunky
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finding kick panels...

Anyone know where I can get some kick kick panels for a 944 that has speaker enclosures in them? I am planning on still using 4x6's in the front doors, but I was thinking of putting 6 1/2's up front in the kick panels (if I can find any), or maybe some 6'' drivers.
So, does anyone know where I can find some? Or have the dimensions/ plans for making some?
Old 05-12-2006, 07:24 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the speakers in my panels. The cones on the originals were all cracked. I couldn't find ant 6x9's that were shallow enough. The window stuff is all behind there. Found some good original size ones to fit there. Works fine for me.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what color do you need. I have some black ones, but they are not the 968 panels, but instead the panels with a single speaher. Letme know. I'll try to take some pics tonight.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:41 PM
White Pony
Racer

I',m in the process of MAKING some of these. If it turns out right the doorpods will scew right in witht the four speaker mounting screws, without marring the door at all... They'll hold a 6.25 speaker and possibly the tweeter for a component set.

It will be around the first week of June I think before I will have any replicants to ship out.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Crunky
Pro

Thanks guys, but I'm thinking of something that would be up under the dash where the floor starts to curl upwards. This way I will have 2 sets of speakers up front, and with my sony deck with a dynamic sound stage stage, I can eliminate the rear speakers, and avoid pulling the glass to replace them.
The sound stage is pretty neat, I can make it sound as if my speakers are actually much higher mounted than they are, or make it sound like they are mounted more to the rear of the car.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:08 PM
porcho heat
Pro

Removing the rear windows is easy, and I'm not sure if you could get speakers down in the drivers footwell out of the way anyway... They'll probably be to close to the front door speakers also.

To remove the window you just need someone to get on their back in the back seats and push with their feet as you catch the window. (Takes literally two seconds)

To put it back in just have someone push on the outside of the window while you pull a string to get the rubber/vinyl over the window.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:16 PM
Crunky
Pro

Oh wow, really? So you think I would need new window seals? Mine dont seem to be in too bad of shape, still pliable. But I am worried about tearing them up when I pop the window out. I've only ever replaced glass on on a VW beetle, and it was the windshield, it was flat glass but it was still a PITA using the string method.

Oh, And I think I found a different location for a second pair of front speakers. I can make a custom shallow enclosure for a pair of 4'' speakers or a similar small size, out of adapter plates and spacers. I am planning on screwing this setup into the side of the center console, more towards the front of it closer to the dash. This would make it easier to run wiring too. I just don;t know how that would sound, they'd be pointing in a wierd direction, maybe I should just so that for tweets...
Old 05-13-2006, 02:23 PM
porcho heat
Pro

It was my first time removing glass from any car that I wanted to save the glass from, and it took me literally a few minutes. My window seals are most likely original from 83 and they're still fine... YMMV

Quick Reply: Finding kick panels...