Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Dash Recover Option

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:05 PM
jwlester
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, I've been following your work with the 928s for a while. Simply phenominal. This is something many of us have been waiting for for a long long time. I'm glad you have found a way to make money off your passion. Wish we were all that lucky. I know I for one would much rather my money go to a member of this community. I hope you are planning on doing this for a while. I have too many projects to complete to start pulling my dash right now, but soon, very soon. Its on the list. Thanks again from everyone here.

Cheers, Josh
Old 05-12-2006, 03:14 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much would you charge to install a cover if I sent you a dash? Heck, I'm close enough to bring you the dash.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:32 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Rob one thought i have wondered, what about 'coring' these? send old dash after receiving new one, or getting new one with a core charge on the old one? perhaps shipping is too much or you don't have enough time?
Old 05-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 268 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by jwlester
Rob, I've been following your work with the 928s for a while. Simply phenominal. This is something many of us have been waiting for for a long long time. I'm glad you have found a way to make money off your passion. Wish we were all that lucky. I know I for one would much rather my money go to a member of this community. I hope you are planning on doing this for a while. I have too many projects to complete to start pulling my dash right now, but soon, very soon. Its on the list. Thanks again from everyone here.

Cheers, Josh
Thanks for the kind words.

Since I'm now semi retired, even though it wasn't my choice, I find life is a whole lot more enjoyable.
I now have the time to spend doing the more important things, like working on the car, finding sources for materials for the car, making the car go faster, making it look better and working with car design and engineering folk. And of course all the great people here on Rennlist.
Yeah, there's a pattern here I guess.

In the last couple months I've heard from people all over the world and shipped them dash covers, hood liners and even nuts and bolts. And I've got a couple design firms working on other 944 and 928 doodads that may prove interesting.

So it looks like I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks again and my thanks to everyone here for the support.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by por951turbo
How much would you charge to install a cover if I sent you a dash? Heck, I'm close enough to bring you the dash.
Installation is $150.00.
Yes, you could bring it up.

I'm in Dearborn Heights and would enjoy the visit.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by zoltan944
Rob one thought i have wondered, what about 'coring' these? send old dash after receiving new one, or getting new one with a core charge on the old one? perhaps shipping is too much or you don't have enough time?
I can and will do that once I run into more sources for cores.

You should be able to get the dash in a box that measures 59" x12" x 12". The 59" puts it under the oversize spec for UPS and the US Postal Service.

What I use are two 48" X 12" X 12" boxes. Wrap it in the thin bubble wrap and put in one box. Then slide the other box over it until it gets down to 59" or less and tape them together.
The dash is about 52" so there's plenty of room for protective packing on the ends. It should end up at less than 20 lbs.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:19 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
I can and will do that once I run into more sources for cores.

You should be able to get the dash in a box that measures 59" x12" x 12". The 59" puts it under the oversize spec for UPS and the US Postal Service.

What I use are two 48" X 12" X 12" boxes. Wrap it in the thin bubble wrap and put in one box. Then slide the other box over it until it gets down to 59" or less and tape them together.
The dash is about 52" so there's plenty of room for protective packing on the ends. It should end up at less than 20 lbs.
this update i can't wait to hear
Old 05-12-2006, 04:25 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M Budd
Installation is $150.00.
Yes, you could bring it up.

I'm in Dearborn Heights and would enjoy the visit.
Close enough for me to harass...
Old 05-12-2006, 05:06 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow!!! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw the picture. Somebody get this man an early dash quick!!! I would love to have one of the in my car. As ratty as my car is I think this would definitely make a HUGE improvement. I'd also like to know if possibly you could do this in something with a dull apperance, something suedey, like alcantara
Old 05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Close enough for me to harass...
Vaughan, we can go poke at Rob together. I'm also in Royal Oak, and I'm in Dearborn nearly every day.

Rob, what would be the price if I supplied the material? Or rather, can you offer it in something suede/Alcantara-like? I'd LOVE to have a black alcantara leather dash. EDIT: D'oh, MM beat me to the punch on this request.

This is great that you're so close to me and you're already working on the 944 series, as I was going to try and start calling car upholstery shops to get quotes on doing exactly the same thing this summer.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Manning
I'd also like to know if possibly you could do this in something with a dull apperance, something suedey, like alcantara
Oooo yes please.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Hey I have a spare 944 dash with the lower half in leather. I can take some shots of it over the weekend and send them if that would help. I'm certainly in for a vinyl cover...the contrasting stitching sounds very cool...hmmm what would look best on the black/beige (aka Light Grey) dash????

-Steve
Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa that looks great!

I wonder how Alcantara would look
Old 05-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Rob M Budd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

My contact info is on this page.

I'm 2 blocks west of Telegraph. Real easy to get to.

I can do it in whatever material you'd like. If you supply the material, it would run $110 to make a cover.
But if you're gonna harass and poke me, the prices go up accordingly. Particularly the poking part.

Steve,
Thanks. Pictures of the lower sections that are stitched would help. I don't know about the colors. I'm somewhat color blind so I always have to ask for help from my daughter.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job Rob. I also have been following your work on the 928 board. I have no doubt I'll be a customer (perhaps x 2) of yours in the very near future. Just deciding...leather or vinyl?

Quick Reply: New Dash Recover Option