Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimum Muffler for Backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So . . . . are some of you advocating that I use an oem or oem/replica muffler?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This has already moved off topic.. just start a new thread for questions like that.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 PM
baldheadracing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If an ITS (or PCA stock class) 944 can't turn lower lap times with a properly-sized open exhaust and a non-stock header (and I'm not talking about Bursch or Martin Schneider's <sp?>), then that 944 hasn't been prepped properly. This isn't a street application. While the stock system is almost perfect for street use, it is not what is going to give the lowest lap times. I'd strongly advise spending $100 and buying Jon Milledge's ITS organizer. I know what he did in determining what works best in an ITS exhaust, and $100 is cheap for that real, and extensive, knowledge.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 PM
porshaowner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
How about this Campeck? I will take my car down to the dyno and take all the plates off of the super trap so its open all the way to the headers. Then I will do a run with my plates on. If the low end stays the same or increases, open vs. restricted, then you will have your numbers. If backpressure increases low end torque then I will send you the bill for the dyno runs and a few hours of my time.

Fair enough? aka put your money where your mouth is.

My stance on this is that backpressure tuning moves the HP/Tq curve in the RPM range. A slight increase may be seen with open exhaust but the high range it will fall in will be all but unusable.
Will you connect a pressure gauge to the exhaust? That will be the only way you will know that removing the discs actually lowered the "pressure"
Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by baldheadracing
I'd strongly advise spending $100 and buying Jon Milledge's ITS organizer. I know what he did in determining what works best in an ITS exhaust, and $100 is cheap for that real, and extensive, knowledge.
Amen to that Craig. And it also entitles you to pick is brain a bit. Jon knows more about making power with these engines (NA) than anybody. And he'll tell you about it. I won't share it because I consider it proprietary information, but it was worth far more than the $100 to me.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
How about this Campeck? I will take my car down to the dyno and take all the plates off of the super trap so its open all the way to the headers. Then I will do a run with my plates on. If the low end stays the same or increases, open vs. restricted, then you will have your numbers. If backpressure increases low end torque then I will send you the bill for the dyno runs and a few hours of my time.

Fair enough? aka put your money where your mouth is.

My stance on this is that backpressure tuning moves the HP/Tq curve in the RPM range. A slight increase may be seen with open exhaust but the high range it will fall in will be all but unusable.
um...dindt hacker just say that he alrady did it with his 928 and lost 4 hp and tq...why do you have to do it?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:11 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Campeck
um...dindt hacker just say that he alrady did it with his 928 and lost 4 hp and tq...why do you have to do it?
...and here I thought after 4 pages everyone missed my post!!

Eventhough 5hp is not that big of a deal - everyone at the dyno was pretty suprised it was that much. It always felt slower with the muffer in the closed (quite) position. Then again, if you could hear what this thing sounds like, the noise alone makes you feel faster.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

some ppl cant read hacker. (jk travis)

heres the paper...
now someone please argue with hackers results and these results on paper...
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

this source just sounds like hes marketing..no real info.
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8179

heres another.
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm

and here...I like what he says
"The standard for exhaust diameter is to not run too large of exhaust, for the engine needs a certain amount of backpressure. This is correct in the sense of one should not run too large of diameter exhaust tubing, but the statement of the engine needing backpressure is not. You need to have the least amount of backpressure possible to produce maximum power."
http://www.proficientperformance.com...k_pressure.php

wow..look at this. not sure if the guy is too credible. or he said it wrong. he said that gas momentum pulls vacuum on the exhaust valve but its more the reversion pulses that flow positive and negative waves up and down the headers.
http://www.warnertechnology.com/Cars/backpressure.shtml
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, gee guess you're right Campeck, except that doesn't explain Exhaust C fitted with Muffler 3, which had very little back pressure yet had the second largest power loss. Or even Exhaust C fitted with Muffler 1 which had 0 backpressure but still had a 1.3 percent loss. Hmm, guess you shouldn't be so dogmatic with your comments. I think there is more too this than you are comprehending in your reading.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

youll notice they are not "open TUNED tailpipes" which means they were just shoved right out the back of the car without maybe stepups in diameter or other considerations. it looks pretty clear to me that when looking at backpressure, all the ones with zero did better than ones with... Who cares if one with a little backpressure did bad...that really only goes on to prove my point even more. which is backpressure is BAD.

I still dont see how yall can still argue. hacker has results, the book has results, and not to mention its logic that if theres pressure holding ALREADY BURNT mixture in with a NEW MIXTURE it will hurt power.

I've said enough. hopefully ya'll will see the light .
Old 05-12-2006, 12:39 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

My 79 has CIS injection - reacts very well with no tuning to "bolt on mods". With the "newer" L-Jet system on 80-84 928's you must do something to add fuel if you expect a serious gain from exhaust. I'm not a 944 (or even a 928) expert, but I have a feeling 944's will react similar to 80-84 928's since their injection systems are very similar.

Take away stock back pressure with zero fuel changes - sure you might see a hp loss. Search around the 928 forum - find how many people bolted on all new exhaust who didn't see a serious HP gain until they installed a RRFPR.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

youll notice they are not "open TUNED tailpipes" which means they were just shoved right out the back of the car without maybe stepups in diameter or other considerations. it looks pretty clear to me that when looking at backpressure, all the ones with zero did better than ones with... Who cares if one with a little backpressure did bad...that really only goes on to prove my point even more. which is backpressure is BAD.
So throw out results because they don't meet your expectations then? One with 0 backpressure did worse than one with 0 backpressure. Not by much but still worse. There is far more to this than just backpressure. Every article I have read says backpressure isn't the powerbuilder people think it is, but also points out that timing, size, management, etc. all play into how helpful or detrimental it is.

I still dont see how yall can still argue. hacker has results, the book has results, and not to mention its logic that if theres pressure holding ALREADY BURNT mixture in with a NEW MIXTURE it will hurt power.
And overscavanging can hurt power too. I'm sure there is a mention of that in your book

I've said enough. hopefully ya'll will see the light .
Or better yet maybe you'll look at more in that book than just pictures and charts.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:53 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

manning you are right. but with a 944 its hard to overscavenge with no overlap.
my arguement is backpressure is bad. thats it. and its true is it not?

ok...im for real going to sleep now..
Old 05-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

And my statement is you CANNOT make a blanket statement like that. The goal is to have as little as possible, but as Erik points out, without modifying anything else on the engine, you cannot eliminate backpressure without possibly harming performance

And were are you coming up with the 944 having ZERO overlap? There has to be some amount of overlap to help draw enough mix into the cylinder, no?

Quick Reply: Optimum Muffler for Backpressure