Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Crack Tale: Glass in Mass

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Tommygunn944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Crack Tale: Glass in Mass

First, I'd like to state that I have searched through the archives and extracted a lot of great information, here is my situation:

1987 944 n/a cracked windshield

1/4 windows some previous owner somehow scratched the bejesus out of them, I have acquired crystal clear replacements.

Located a windshield without the antenna early style for $135 from a glass supplier

Called every glass guy in the land and have gotten ridiculous price quotes all around.

Where does one purchase the correct tools to do such a swap? I am a medium experienced DIY, or should I definetly shell out the money and have someone else undertake this project?

I also plan to send the car in to get painted this month, what is the best thing to do:

1. have painted with old windshield installed?
2. have painted with new windshield installed?

having painted w/o windshield is not possible, I have to drive it to the shop.

IN CONCLUSION:

Is there anybody local with glass experience interested in Moonlighting? I can pay cash and lend you a hand! Ideas?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:45 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

you can buy a manual or electric windshield removal tool/hot knife at a store like NAPA, i have used a manual one, its a chore, and me and my dad busted the windshield taking out (shouldnt matter since you have a new one) then you buy a couple of tubes of the butyl rubber let it sit in hot water so it flows easier to plop in your new one.

as far as painting, it shouldnt matter, the seal around the windhield should be removed, and you can tape off the windshield extremely easy with it out of the way, and it will cover up both edges when put back in after the paint

edit: if anything, get paint job with the new one in, you can get overspray off glass easy enough if you had to, and i wouldnt want to risk scratching the new paint when monkeying with taking out the old winshield
Old 05-09-2006, 05:50 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with that windshield.... I had a glass company come out with a PPG non-antenna windshield designated for early 944's. They swore it would fit my 87. Unfortunately, after that goofball made my glass crack 100x worse than it was while removing the old windshield, he figured out the new one would not fit.

DOH! So he reinstalled my now spiderwebbed windsheld, and proceeded to tell me the real deal would cost me more than double, with no price break for his screw up. I promptly told him and Safelite where they could shove said broken windshield. Never again will I call them.

But my lesson to you is.... BE SURE that windshield will fit before messing with your current one.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
Tommygunn944
Intermediate

Took your advise, shopped around and found a national company was cheapest, called for 1984 glass, they arrived last friday and I had the guy size up the glass before he did anything, unfortunatley it didn't fit!! it was about 3/4" to narrow (width-wise) he said he'd try another manufacturer, I can't remember the manuf. name for the life of me. If anyone has installed an 84 windshield in a late model successfully and knows the MANUFACTURER of the glass it would be much appreciated! They quoted me $209.00 before tax to come out to the house, cheapest glass I could find was $135 from a wholesaler....$209 installed seemed cheap! Please let me know ASAP, the guy is coming back tommorow at 4 pm! Thanks in advance! Also thanks for the great tips on my other post, I've upgraded the rear speakers and installed the rear quarter glass in seconds with the string/wire technique.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Tommygunn944
Intermediate

the glass that didn't fit was PPG... green shade ban... longer name on the recommended glass company....
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Tom
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason that it didn't fit is because you need the 85/2 and newer glass. The old style fits recessed in the frame, the newer style fits flush, the dashs are different which affects the fit and while you could possibly make the two interchange it would cost far more and be much more involved than simply using the right part in the first place. Also the later windshield is bonded to the frame and helps give strength and sitffness to the car.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey, it's only 175-225 for the glas and installation at most places if you are going non antenna.. just so you know! It's worth it to me.

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 PM
RI951
Instructor

At least on my 86 turbo, the OEM glass provider was Sekurit. Still available, although at a price. But, it's the real deal.

I had mine replaced two years ago by Executive in Mass. Not cheap. And was not totally pleased with the install. But, it fits.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand why you are trying to install early glass in a later car. It won't fit properly.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:35 PM
Tommygunn944
Intermediate

Good answers, I'm only trying to replace my windshield without the antenna in it. I will look into later glass. The price difference is $ 300-400 between the two, turnkey. Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:10 PM
CCCP
Instructor

Just so you know in MA if your car has comprehensive insurance the deductible for windshield replacement is $0. State law I think.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Tommygunn944
Intermediate

IN CONCLUSION:

No non-antenna glass will fit in a 1987 (manufacture date of 09/86) because the antenna glass is a little more than a 1/2" wider, I watched the installer try 2 different shield, both short, he also tried 3 different trim options, you could use a wide (1 inch plus) trim to fill the void but then the install is dangerous as there isn't enough edge for the glass to catch on the side.

I'm sure a dozen people who did find a way to have this work will post minutes after this one...

To wrap up this adventure I found Sekurit OEM antenna glass for $450 (last fall it was $375) safelite auto glass quoted me $950 for the glass alone.... and I'm paying a guy to moonlight to install it for $50.00... it is encapsulated and I have the OEM porsche top trim piece.... what a trip it's been...

I do not presently have comprehensive insurance or I wouldn't be going through this. I also had called my insurance company for a comprehensive quote (my evil side thinking) last fall thinking about picking up the coverage then making the claim....but my insurance company had quoted me out more than what I thought I could do the glass for (around $500, and before everyone tells me how much cheaper their insurance companys are, I have a perfect driving record for more than 6 years and I live in Massachusetts where Geico, SafeAuto, and most nationals DO NOT WRITE insurance, it must have to do with crooked politicians, the mafia, or how MA people drive I have no clue, so I am with Amica)..... anyways I'm going to pick up comp now that I'll be driving behind a $600.00 peice of glass, not to mention my new paint, well basically everything is new or I've slaved for hours making it work....and those horror stories I hear about the pennies the crooked insurance folks offer for our cars when some idiot hits us makes me even more bitter....I guess it's just the high price of passion....
Old 06-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommygunn944
IN CONCLUSION:

I'm sure a dozen people who did find a way to have this work will post minutes after this one...
On cue...

Just got my windshield for the 85.5 today (which should be the same as the 87 as i think all the late cars have the same windshield) with NO antenna for 200 out the door.

just FYI

Quick Reply: A Crack Tale: Glass in Mass