Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This for real? 2 "racing seats" for $140?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006 | 09:01 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

Default This for real? 2 "racing seats" for $140?

This looks too cheap to be real. Anyone know anything about these, this seller?

Linky

And yet another one... "Ferrari Style" JDM Seats for $330/pair Linky

Old 05-05-2006 | 09:06 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

yup, those look like the seats i had in my 914, Darth coupe got them from ebay, but then shipping was 150!!! Still not a bad price, comfortable too! BUT- do they come w/ 944 sliders???? Or do you have to make them work.
Old 05-05-2006 | 09:14 AM
BlueDog944
Pro

according to the ebay detail...

* Brand New in Box
* Include 2 All Black Seats (Driver and Passenger)
* Include 2 sets of Universal DOUBLE Sliders ($100 Value)
* Feature Durable Construction and Highly Detailed Stitching
* Fully Reclineable and Tilt (forward and backward)
* OEM Style cloth on both side and rear of the seat
* Ready for 4 point racing harnesses
* Professional installation is highly recommended
* NOTE: These seats are universal. However, mounting brackets are needed to mount the seats onto the chassis and they are NOT included in this auction. The APC mounting brackets can be purchased at Pep Boys, Advance Auto Parts or other local autoparts shops. Custom mounting brackets can be built at any local muffler or welding shops.
Old 05-05-2006 | 10:26 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Those look kinda' junk to me. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-05-2006 | 11:00 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Those look kinda' junk to me. You get what you pay for.
That is not always true. About three years ago I drove to Atlanta with a friend of mine whose best friend is head of engineering for Panoz. I got an incredible behind the scenese tour.

Anyway, along the tour they had some seats they were tearing apart to reupholster. They were some off-brand seats and the Panoz guy said as best they could tell they were the same as some popular Sparco seats and he speculated they may even be made in the same factory. Either that or they are exact replicas.

So, sometimes you don't always get what you paid for.

BTW, I would not call these racing seats (no sanctioning body would allow them), but they are certainly decent looking sport seats.
Old 05-05-2006 | 11:04 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

For that price, and if they infact could be installed with the provided hardware and for "reasonable" shipping....I would install them in a NY minute in my car.
Old 05-05-2006 | 12:44 PM
BlueDog944
Pro

yeah... wouldn't depend on them for racing... thinking about something for DEs.
Old 05-05-2006 | 02:44 PM
mein51
Racer

I know its OT, but I have a blue heeler too! Does yours love to ride in your 944? Mine has a bad habbit of hopping over to the passengers seat whenever I open the door. Cheers
Old 05-05-2006 | 02:53 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

You think that enormous plastic **** thingy would interfere with the e-brake?

If not, they MIGHT be a decent substitute for someone's ripped/shredded/***-stained factory seats, but I sure as heck wouldn't trust them for any serious driving without knowing a lot more about the construction.

You might have some issues getting the seat belt to work too depending on whether you're planning on going into an early or later car. Do you really want to be "jury rigging" a seat belt assembly? It's your *** in a crash, but I'd be a little leery of doing something like that. Of course a nice harness bar with 5-point would help, but then you run into DOT issues if you get pulled over, etc. . .
Old 05-05-2006 | 04:14 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

What do they weigh? That would be my first question.... Stock seats aren't that light, but I've seen Sparcos listed at almost 40lbs- this wouldn't be much weight savings- Momo Street Racer's weigh 25lbs ea- one of the lightest reclinable seats I know of- they've come way down in price the last year or so, but are still ususally over $500/ea...

Is that a Blue Heeler or an Aussie...?

Also, how would one get into trouble w/DOT for having 5-pt seatbelts? Is it not legal? I thought lots of people did this on the street? I know at least some have- seems like it wouldn't be a prob- you just have to have some sort of shoulder restraint for it to be legal (well, assuming the car came w/them to begin with- if not, just a lap-belt & in some cases, you wouldn't even have to have seatbelts at all, but that's going pretty far back in years...).

Jeff- I'm afraid to ask what all you do in your car....
Old 05-05-2006 | 04:24 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

I’ve bought a pair of those in black vinyl on E-bay 5 years ago, to go into my old (’83 928). At the time I was working close enough to the seller to pick them up personally and save the huge shipping charge, which by the way he had no problems waving it. The seat construction is fairly good but the material on the bolsters wears out extremely fast. The seats backs are also not for a wide shoulder person. I would say that these are excellent seats if you are getting your car ready to sell soon. The 928s have problem fitting aftermarket seats and this one was sitting a little bit higher than the original ones. If I removed the sliders it would fit perfectly. I’m not sure if this is a problem with the 944s.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-05-2006 | 04:27 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

LOL! Just a thought - a lot of 5-point harnesses aren't DOT legal even though they're safer in a crash. It's B.S. but it just is one more thing a cop could bust your ***** over if you got pulled over. Like I said, might be decent enough for someone that has totally trashed interior, but I doubt I'd want to be messing around with 'em if any sort of modification was required. If (big if) they're direct bolt-in, I suppose why not?
Old 05-05-2006 | 05:00 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, I understand... Yes, there are PLENTY of laws that don't make a bit of sense...

Still would like to know the weight on those things,... I've been wanting some nice aftermarket seats for a long time, but want them to be lighter & fairly comfortable, plus, they have to be reclinable since mine's a street car. Street Racers are my top choice, but I'm out of money... My #1 overall choice would probably be 12-way elec adj & heated Sport seats- I picked some up out of a 928GT or GTS in St Louis a few years back- they were not nearly as heavy as many would lead you to believe- I've weighed 8-way elec adj regular seats at 49lbs, but this Sport seat couldn't have weighed over 45lbs TOPS & I'd estimate it at ~40lbs if I had to guess... Also would have considered them if they hadn't been the wrong color... Oh yeah, that & the minor fact that he wanted >$3000 for them...!!!!
Old 05-05-2006 | 05:03 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

cheapo seats? *shudder*

Have they gone through crash tests like FIA seats have to prove that they will hold up? Typically cheap seast are cheap becuase the manufacturer put the least amount of money into making them, to make em cheap. Thats why Kia's are cheapo, and geo's are cheapo...
Just seems like I would want something better engineered, and with better materials then something like that. Corbeau is as cheap as I would go (and I did) though I will be switching over to Sparco Evo's sometime.
Old 05-05-2006 | 07:13 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

More than a year ago I bought and installed the $150 + $120 S&H “disposable” seats in the picture. My Porsche seats were worn, somewhat torn and didn’t provide adequate lateral support. These are actually much more comfortable for long trips than the original seats and my occasional passengers have complimented their support as well. I think they look good too.
I looked at the frame inside the seats and they looked quite sturdy to my eyes. Remember also that the seat strength (and rail mounting) is only relevant for rear-end collisions.

So now the bad things:
I could not use the provided mounting hardware and had to grind the rails off the old OEM seats in addition to cutting and drilling some flat iron from the local hardware store.
When doing the grinding I noticed that the sparks could make the plastic material burn (smoke without flame).
The seats recline only by turning a ****, which is OK for adjustments, but a killer for rear seat access.

All in all, even with the slightly increased safety risk, I think it was worth the $270 plus some elbow grease. Should they get a serious tear and/or get excessively dirty, I’ll just throw them out and get another set, especially now that I have rails that fit.

Laust
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: This for real? 2 "racing seats" for $140?