Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 'bum' sags a bit - can I even it out up front?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 03:38 AM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 'bum' sags a bit - can I even it out up front?!

Let me explain. I'm old and I don't look after myself and.....whoops - I mean my '86 (230000 km) 944 looks to have a slight sag in the rear as opposed to the front (the wheel gap's about 2 fingers more in the front tires 'well). I know a little about adjusting the eccentrics so it evens out but would it be a better idea to just either cut 1 coil out of the 2 front springs or even buy some aftermarket front ones to give the whole car a slightly lower overall stance (which, when it's front and rear - I like!)

Any ideas or advice?

Thanx as always!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop the front!!!
Old 05-04-2006, 04:39 AM
todzilla
Racer

Stop over-elaborating! Seriously though, how much work is it and what's the best way to do it (safely and wisely)?
Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Stop over-elaborating![
Ha Ha!!! To lower the front you can swap in lowering springs, or install a nice adjustable ride-height coilover setup. Obviously, the better choice is also the more expensive one. You would have to completely remove the front suspension for either choice, so since you are doing that, you might want to spend the extra $ and get new shocks/coilovers.

The dangers of lowering too far, is binding the control arm balljoints, since the geometry is now whacked. Rennbay sells a geometry correction kit. You don't need it if you only lower it a little bit.

I've got to get to sleep. I'll call you tomorrow...
Old 05-04-2006, 04:52 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

oh yeah.. DON'T CUT YOUR SPRINGS.

I'll kick your *** if you do.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:18 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Wouldn't it be better to look into and correct the issue with the rear's suspension?

Also, I second the don't cut the springs comment.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:19 AM
todzilla
Racer

I'm only looking for a little more equadistancization...oh, it's a word - I think being as poor as I now am due to the purchase, some mild lowering springs may fit the bill. So figure a 2 hour re and re and an alignment (plus the cost of parts)?

(have a nice sleep Kitsilano one...tty tomorrow!)
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 AM
todzilla
Racer

Originally Posted by Erzengal
Wouldn't it be better to look into and correct the issue with the rear's suspension?

Also, I second the don't cut the springs comment.
The shocks are new all around...I guess the car just sags in the rear and either needs an eccentric 'bump' or a front end drop to even it out - I like the slightly lower stance so the second choice is my first choice.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

www.paragon-products.com get the 200lb weltmeisters youll be very happy.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
. . . You would have to completely remove the front suspension for either choice . .
Rich! Nice to hear from you again.

If he's just going to replace the front springs and/or put a ride height adjustment kit in, I don't believe that you have to remove the entire strut. Let me elaborate:

I put ride height kit and coil-overs at all 4 corners. To change the sealed struts to the Koni replacment shocks, yea, the strut had to come out to cut the top and and drill the hole at the bottom. But when I later added the tension maintaining helper springs (origonal over sight on my part), all I had to do was drop the sway bar, tap the shock piston out of the top strut mount, and it popped well clear of the fender arch for complete access to the internals of the strut (note: if you have stock springs, you'll want to have a spring compressor on there before you disconnect the top strut mount).

Since the alignment is defined by the strut adjustment bolt and the a-arm and they weren't changed, so no alignment change resulted.

However, since lowing the car significantly would affect the alignment, you may end up have to do one anyway.

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud here.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:06 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use this universal kit if you are in a hurry. I installed it on my buddy's eclipse, worked great.
Lowering Kit
Old 05-04-2006, 02:10 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

HHHAHAHAHHAHAHAA>>>.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:10 PM
todzilla
Racer

I think I'm gonna hang tough til I can get some decent front springs and go that route. Apparently its about a 3-4 hour job plus the cost of alignment so I gotta start saving.

Thanx everyone!
Old 05-05-2006, 11:24 AM
SwiftyZenBadd
Drama Queen
Rennlist Member

Location: Somewhere in WI in my garage, or circum-navigating the globe in a wooden boat.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by patrat
You can use this universal kit if you are in a hurry. I installed it on my buddy's eclipse, worked great.
Lowering Kit
how in the hell does this kit work. i tried to read the reviews but all i got was "aw man dis is pimp" n all that stuff so uuh yeah how do they work???

Quick Reply: My 'bum' sags a bit - can I even it out up front?!