Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NNJ PCA Autocross at the Meadowlands

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Should be a good turnout of 944's tomorrow.. cleaned up mine earlier today(something i hardly ever do) and im actually going to pack my car the night before! Dan and i are leaving LI around 6am...im going to be a zombie behind the wheel.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:03 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Should be a good turnout of 944's tomorrow.. cleaned up mine earlier today(something i hardly ever do) and im actually going to pack my car the night before! Dan and i are leaving LI around 6am...im going to be a zombie behind the wheel.
Ah, kids today! By 6:00am, I am usually half-way done at the gym!
Old 04-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I get up every morning during the week at 6am, lousy PT! The weekends are my only chance to catch up on the lost sleep.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:26 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy catching up on lost sleep Jon! Won't be able to do much of that if/when you have kids!
Old 04-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyK
Just washed my car. Still sneezing!! Ahhhh....choooooo!

Anyone have an extra rear license plastic bolt that the screw goes into? One of mine broke.
With all that time you spent with your car, I am SURE you replaced the burntout taillights, right Andy?

Yeah, it's 10pm, and I'm in NYC - Memorial Sloan Kettering Hospital - we brought my wife's Grandma here per doctor's orders - she's been battling cancer for the past three years. She's had some dizzy spells and such the past couple of days - so the docs wanted to observe her. Hopefully, she just needs some change in her meds...

-Z-man.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:26 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
This means I am getting up and 4:45. It's 10:26 and I am still up!!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by jeeper31
should be fun
I was right. It was fun.

Nice to meet everyone...finally.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:47 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

What, No pix yet???
Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Forget pictures, video is better!

Click Here!

The video is of my best spin and fastest run of the day. I started to lose the rear so i just laid into it and cut the wheel, i hit 6k rpm while sliding backwards, didnt hit any cones and still stayed on course! Granted my run was something like 20 seconds longer. It spun so violently i actually hit my head on the door frame..you can kinda see my helmet get whipped around in the rear view mirror. After that you can tell just how hard and non-grippy the tires im running..punching it in 1st and 2nd i can easily brake the rear tire (no LSD!) loose. Usually that dosent happen when you have 147hp and your tires should be sticky from the heat! And the slow 1-2 shifts are because of a worn 2nd gear synchro....okay okay enough excuses!

Normally i take more pictures, but i was pretty lazy today.

Dan and i on route..

Huge turnout, i think over 120 drivers

Nice lineup in staging

And my ride in auto-x warpaint.

Im really happy with how the car performed. Just need to work out some quirks.. the right front wheel just will not lock up no matter how hard i slam on the brakes, the left always locks up easily. Going to rebleed everything tomorrow and hope i get some even braking. If im coming up to a light and start braking without holding the wheel, the car pulls to the left. Also need to repack the wheel bearings this weekend. Next event is a MetroNY auto-x in Bethpage, Long Island if any of you NNJ guys are interested in coming out. Its about an hour away from the Meadowlands, around the center Nassau County.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 05-01-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fun to see everyone, even if the car never made it on the course (powersteering pump unhinged itself).
Old 05-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Fun to see everyone, even if the car never made it on the course (powersteering pump unhinged itself).
I guess you made it home OK with the wiretie special?
Old 05-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, it's going to Raj's tonight for the repair.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Fun event - good to see so many "wasser-pumpers" and fellow Rennlister's out there. Great to meet you guys in person finally. Note that this wasn't how our AX's are run, typically. The registration line moves alot quicker, the first car is off about an hour earlier, we don't usually have 137 drivers, and we get 6-8 runs per driver instead of yesterday's 5. But fun was had by all anyway!

I forgot your name, but the ride in the 924S was fun too. Nice Polish-dancing shirt too!

Techno - that indeed was an interesting spin - what caused it? IIRC, it was in the sweeper in the middle of the course.

Andy - my apologies for that 'smart ##$$ remark to you, when you parked your car on the staging grid. Sorry 'bout that. But I am glad to see our brake lights working again!

Oh, my new suspension works beautifully for AX. Very, VERY neutral behavior, with a little bit of oversteer in the grip-limited corners (the off-camber corners especially). My fastest was a 55.513, which was good for second place in I1 (Improved 4-cyl cars.) Techno was also running in I1, and managed a 64.694 - not bad for a car that's ~50hp down on power, has less suspension and shot tires! (The other driver in I1 also ran a 944S2, and managed a 54.927).

Damian - tought luck with the PS-pump assembly. Next time... next time... If it's any consolation for you - I took my car to the shop last night - looks like I have a PS fluid leak, as well as a coolant leak somewhere... oh the joys of maintaining these cars...

Hope to see you guys again at other events - AX, DE, a Rennlist GTG - soon!!
-Z-man.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:48 AM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

it was my first AX yesterday and it was one of the most fun times i ever had it was great meeting up with everyone, and a big thanks to Z-man for instructing me on one of my runs, it really helped..thankfully i didnt go off course on any runs and i never spun, though i did get a little tail happy on one corner, it was awesome and hopefully ill see you guys at the next event
-Aaron
Old 05-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Z-man
Race Director

That's it! Aaron - it was a fun, smooth ride. Now get that 914 up and running, will ya?!?

-Z.

Quick Reply: NNJ PCA Autocross at the Meadowlands