Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give me some slack!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:11 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Give me some slack!

Regarding my headlight post I was looking into it today. I popped the strap that hold the harness bundle in place in hopes to gain some slack in the light wiring, but no-go. I coulnd't get any additional slack from those wires, and can't for the life of me figure out where it goes after it enters the "Y". It appear to enter the beam that it's stapped to! That portion of the harness is puled pretty tight when the lights are raised.

Anyone know where the heck it goes after it dissapears into the "Y"?

Old 04-23-2006, 11:15 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Under the nose of the car, right under the radiator to the driver's side of the car, then back towards the passenger compartment.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:11 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Originally Posted by 89magic98
Under the nose of the car, right under the radiator to the driver's side of the car, then back towards the passenger compartment.
Yeah, I just removed the headlight motor to get a better look. What a pain. Not the motor, but seeing where the light wires join the rest of the harness.
I also discovered that I need two part #'s 999.651.203.40 's. Stupid little clips on the back of the bucket that hold something in place.

I did manage to get a little slack though, but not from the point I wanted. I snipped the ziptie that holds the harness to the back of the bucket, visible in the lower right of the pic.

So...how do I remove the nose panel for even better access? I see there are screws along the top side...those would be the obvious starting point...
edit Nevermind. Search is my friend.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:33 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

I have no idea why you would remove the header panel. I didn't.

Take the harness out of the clip you show there, cut the harness open to find the broken wire. You may need to take out the headlight motor (and maybe the ww fluid reservior - I forget), prop the lights open, and have at it.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Take the harness out of the clip you show there, cut the harness open to find the broken wire. You may need to take out the headlight motor (and maybe the ww fluid reservior - I forget), prop the lights open, and have at it.
I already took out the headlight motor. Part of my current problem is a hose coming off the power steering resevior running along the beam.
I think if I remove the nose panel, I should be able to gain better access to that bundle of wire by relieving tension along it's path.
Even undoing the strap isn't allowing it to move enough. I want better access before I go stripping crap to find the break, which we think is right at that spot.

Old 04-24-2006, 08:24 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Oh, now I remember (maybe). The updated PS pump line is shorter, takes a different path. I have the updated line (since 1993).

Or, maybe it was that I was able to lift up the ps pump line and put it on the _opposite_ side of the headlight motor bracket.

One way to get some slack is to disconnect the harness from the bulb, so you can do the work. I can guarantee that the break is right at that bend point.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:37 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

I have no idea why you would remove the header panel. I didn't.

Moving the PS hose to the opposite side of the braket...no problems with anything? Nothing binds up, pinches, or crimps it? I may have to do that...

Panel is off. So I could get access to the clip shown by the arrow that I was sure existed, and now know exists..

So, in the first picture, the harness continues off toward the rear along the beam, through another strap...where does it go from there?

Old 04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh that hose. umm I'll have to see if I have somethign there as well although it mine I didn't think so

Brandon
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Actually, I can't move the PS hose to the other side. It will ABSOLUTELY bind up on the headlight armatures.
I am positive of it.

Quick Reply: Give me some slack!