Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bwwaaw! Help! My baby died today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006 | 02:21 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

yes, our cars cannot run without a properly functioning battery. The alternator by itself will not make it run.
take the battery and get it tested/replaced
Old 04-21-2006 | 06:16 PM
Racer46
Instructor

Check the battery voltage with the engine running. Should be around 14 vdc. If it is then the battery is probably not the problem. I don't think it will be the speed or refrence sensors. When I had one of those go bad the car wouldn't run at all. TPS and AFM sound most probable. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2006 | 06:25 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

fastest think to check now is jump the car. see what it does, should take out the whole battery/alt issue. keep us listed.
Old 04-21-2006 | 07:31 PM
Opeth
Pro

Damn I like those eurospec cars! Wish I could help ya but looks like good advice so far, good luck.
Old 04-22-2006 | 04:54 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just got home from work a while ago. Decided to put the battery on charge. Guess what? It's not the first time judging by the condition of the plugs, the water/acid level and the fact that my little charger went straight to 3 Amps!
Will see what it's like in the AM.

OT: Kevin
You have no idea how much I hate you!!!! Imagine giving up the op to drive a RHD 944 just for a bit of skirt! You could have driven while she sat on my lap!!!!!
Old 04-22-2006 | 05:02 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beeg
Just got home from work a while ago. Decided to put the battery on charge. Guess what? It's not the first time judging by the condition of the plugs, the water/acid level and the fact that my little charger went straight to 3 Amps!
Will see what it's like in the AM.
You still need to disconnect the battery cables and measure the voltage across the battery terminals after charging. Measure again after you try to start the car once or twice (once the car is off) - because the battery may look like it took a charge, then drop to a low voltage with one load cycle (attempt to start the car).

Look at this page for information on battery voltage vs % charge.

http://www.buchanan1.net/lead_acid.shtml

Originally Posted by beeg
OT: Kevin
You have no idea how much I hate you!!!! Imagine giving up the op to drive a RHD 944 just for a bit of skirt! You could have driven while she sat on my lap!!!!!
The whole time in Cairns was not what I planned (my travel plans and everything). I'll be back though next year (hopefully as a certified diver).
Old 04-22-2006 | 07:04 PM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fixed it!
How bloody embarrassing is this?
After having the battery on charge overnight (and yes, I will be having it checked this week at Battery World!) I started Bruce up but still had the same problem.
So out of frustration I start pulling on hoses to see if any are loose etc. Guess what?
The large hose from the AFM to the throttle area was completely off, but still looked like it was in place!
After replacing, car goes!
The only plus is that 2 other, more mechanically minded, people besides me also looked at the engine.
Will have to get a new clip this week and tighten it down HARD!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2006 | 04:15 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Good work Brian! now you can replace loose hoses, and tighten screws! your knowledge is increasing! god bless Rennlist
Old 04-23-2006 | 05:10 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the advice.
The shing light about this is I have learnt way more about my car and the things that can go boom or blecccchhhh!
Next thing you know I'll be crawling underneath, or maybe not!
Old 04-23-2006 | 11:01 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

I'm glad you found the problem. You know for very little money you can buy a cheap Volt-Ohm meter (here at Radio Shack or even Sears). Just being able to measure resistance (ohms) will allow you to check many of the electrical components like the AFP, TPS, temp sensor, etc. The factory manual has procedures for this. You may also want to take a close look at all of your vacuum hoses - they tend to get very brittle with age. Very good PM to replace all of these.

P.S. I may be in Brisbane in July. Any idea what I might expect to pay for a 944 euro front bumper at a salvage yard?
Old 04-24-2006 | 04:50 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike C.
P.S. I may be in Brisbane in July. Any idea what I might expect to pay for a 944 euro front bumper at a salvage yard?
Mike
Sorry to break the bad news. There ain't no such animal as a Porsche salvage yard!
Like I keep saying, these things are as rare as rocking horse **** over here!
As far as I am aware there is one place in Perth
and one in Melbourne
Neither of which are exactly close to Brisbane!
Old 04-24-2006 | 05:03 AM
beeg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nother update.
The car runs perfectly, the headlights do not pop up.
Perfect German engineering, I have to take a panel off the trim under the glovebox to get at the fuses (or discover how to hang upside down and extend my neck another 6 inches!)
I did a manual lift on the headlights and they work fine.
I'll look at the fuses and crap tomorrow.
What do new headlight motors go for? Sob!!!!!
Old 04-24-2006 | 12:57 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Brian, check the relay.. it's on the motor itself on the side under a rubber dust cap... it's mostl likely the Relay...

and as for the hanging underneath the car for the fuses, I recommend purchasing and training a drop bear...
Old 04-24-2006 | 02:11 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

The first thing he should have done was pressed (tapped down) on the headlight cover on the side of the car with the headlight motor. Sometimes the wheel inside the motor (that tells the motor to raise and lower) is slightly off, the lights just need a slight adjustment. That happened to my car some years back.
Old 04-24-2006 | 09:00 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Oh well. Thanks anyway. Cheers, Mike Wait! How would you like to trade your flimsy Euro bumpers for some nice stout U.S. spec bumpers (including the shock mounts)??

Quick Reply: Bwwaaw! Help! My baby died today!