Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaks etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 PM
White Pony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaks etc?

I just dropped the oil from my 87 924s. It was due, a little over. I discovered many things that frustrated me.

1. There was a little surface rust on the inside of the oil filter=coolant leak into the motor?
2. Oil continues to leak from behind the timing cover, the oil cooler, and the power steering assy in general...
3. The 10 hour degreasing job I did in January was pretty much focked up.
4. With said problems I am wondering if the car is worth putting any money into for anything besides keeping it running for basic transportation needs

Anyone have opinions/comments?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:44 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All i can say is even with a new GTI my 924S is the funnest car i've ever driven w/t the suspension mods i've done and its been damm reliable the past 4-5 years only the origonal altenator going.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:42 PM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by cjeckert
All i can say is even with a new GTI my 924S is the funnest car i've ever driven w/t the suspension mods i've done and its been damm reliable the past 4-5 years only the origonal altenator going.
You are right, it is fun to drive, thanks I almost forgot, so many little things make it frustrating.

What suspension mods do you have?
Old 04-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

Come on guys, he needs help here. no hijacking

oil leak behind timing belt cover indicates your balance shaft seals, crankshaft pulley seal, and/or front camseal may be leaking. Replacement requires removal of everything in the front (rollers, timing/balance shaft belts, and crankshaft pulley. If you're fairly knowledgeable and mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself in about 2-4 hours if you take your time.

If coolant is leaking into your motor oil, you will notice a milkshake, foam type substance when you pull the dipstick or open the coolant reservoir tank cap. What you see may not be rust, but a different color of sludge.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:03 PM
White Pony
Racer

Thanks Stig!

Well, I need to make a sig that says all the work I've done to the car, but my personal options don't seem to think i need one the option is just not there, lol.

I replaced all of those seals (balance shaft seals, even some cogs, pins and shafts) but they still leak. I didn't do it personaly, I had a mechanic (who is 87 years old, hunchbacked, and took from june 7th to October 12th to do it, no joke) and the top camshaft seal still leaks... He cannot fix it, says he so he suggested to let it leak.

The lower oil passage on the oil cooler (below the main coolant passage) is leaking, and now that I look at it I think the pan seal is weeping a bit too. I guess it is better than it was before this work, it would leak a quart every 500 miles, now it leaks/burns about a quart for the whole oil change.

I'm afraid there is coolant beginning (keword right there) to leak because of rust on the oil filter. I've read about the famous milkshake I fear it.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:19 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

BTW, the car is worth keeping. PM me if you need further assistance. I just went through a rebuild and had to do the whole motor myself. I'm willing to offer as much advice as I can.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:23 PM
White Pony
Racer

Thanks man It is very nice to have someone who wants to help a n00b

Fyi, That's not mine in the avatar... So...

I'm going out to put on my Napa Gold fuel filter.

They call it gold cause it costs 2x more than the ones online
Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheStig
Replacement requires removal of everything in the front (rollers, timing/balance shaft belts, and crankshaft pulley. If you're fairly knowledgeable and mechanically inclined, you can do it yourself in about 2-4 hours if you take your time.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:57 AM
White Pony
Racer

Originally Posted by Stan944
Yah, lol, it took the mechanic I asked to do it MONTHS

Quick Reply: Leaks etc?