Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are 968 prices going up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are 968 prices going up?

Ive always wanted a 968, except I think by the time I get a real job and have enough money for one, there wont be any left! It also looks like the prices are climbing!

Do you think the prices of the 968 are going up? Do you think there will be any 968s for sale within the next 10 years?
Old 04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
zoltan944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anything well kept will hold a value. The thing in my area is that 944s are holding a very nice value, what i mean by that is they are at a point in their life where they stop depreceating. The only 'deal' your getting around here is a 'mechanic special'. 944 are still getting $4k for earlies and $5k+ for laters and $10k+ for turbos, so naturally a an early 1990s car is still in the mid 10s. In 10 years you will be able to afford them cause one thing is for sure miles makes a differnece, so as soon as some of those puppies hit 150k, they will be turning owners like hot cakes
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the prices of 968s are still going down...although slowly, except for the cars in extraordinary shape, rare, or with really low mileage. Those seem to be holding pretty good.

10 years from now I expect they will have bottomed out and started up...perhaps quite bit? They didn't make many of these great cars.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

I've been keeping an eye out for that 968 too. IMO, it's not that the prices are going up per se. Instead, it seems like there are only really two kinds of cars out there right now. The first is that low-mileage-original-owner car and the other is that mechanics special. There's a shortage of the in between cars. But, they are still out there and the prices have gone down, especially the cabs. A year and a half ago, an example that was listed for $15K is now listed for $10K-$12.5K.

The introduction of the 997, Newer Boxster and the Cayman seem to indirectly affect the used car market. I'm seeing alot of good used Boxsters on the market now. As more of the leases expire, the buyers market will get better. To me, cheaper Boxsters mean cheaper 968s. It also means that I am now considering either a Boxster or a 968.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

I don't think that prices will ever go 944 NA low- that's just too much car for the money. Maybe some will hold at $8-10k, like a 951. They didn't make many of them, they have all the fixes for 944 problems, and they perform well. Prices can't go much lower for that kind of car.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

their so rare as it is. I put a set of 968 headers on ebay, I only had 2 watchers and got like 30 bucks for it! 951 headers go for like 200. I have a set of 4 968 nearly new intake valves, I almost feel like i'm better off using them as a desk ornament.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:36 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

yup I agree you can now get early boxsters(97-99) between 15-20K and a nice 968 between 12-18(the cabs anyway) so now it makes it even harder. I like both but if it came down to it I would get the boxster as I already have my S2 and love it and have always wanted a Boxster but I love the lines of a 968 cab as well......umm things to ponder

Brandon
Old 04-19-2006, 09:45 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Just to echo others, the prices are definetely NOT going up. I've been watching the prices for the past 2 years and they've gone down.

As to the post stating there is little in between the mechanic's special and the low-milage cars -- that's not my experience at all. There's quite a few 968's with between 80 and 110k miles in great or good condition all over the place from $12k up to $19k (on the higher end for cabs of course). That's the vast majority of what is for sale out there.

There's usually 3-4 968's posted at any given time on craigslist.org here in the bay area. Usually 2 are low-milage high-priced and the other 1 or 2 is a regular 90k miles car. Then if you look to autotrader.com, you'll see a ton of other middle-mileage cars for sale.

The one thing to remember about 968's is that every owner has something pretty special -- the dealers were pumping all sorts of options into them so there's lots with special metallic colors, LSD, M030, painted matching spoilers, 993 seats, rootwood interior, 17" wheel Cup II's, etc.. At least they're all special as compared to my guards red on black 944NA (where there is probably 10k of them out there nearly identical)...
Old 04-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

"As to the post stating there is little in between the mechanic's special and the low-milage cars -- that's not my experience at all. There's quite a few 968's with between 80 and 110k miles in great or good condition all over the place from $12k up to $19k (on the higher end for cabs of course). That's the vast majority of what is for sale out there."

I should have qualified my earlier post. I'm in the market for a coupe. So, my perception of the market is slanted in that direction. What I should have said is that IMHO there is a shortage of coupes under $15K. Obviously, there are just fewer coupes than cabs. A couple of years ago, there were relatively more choices in the $15K coupe market.Those same coupes should now be selling in the $11K-$13K range instead of $16K-$19K. But, it does seem that there are alot more cabs closer in price to the coupes now. The cabs used to command a higher price. But, that doesn't always hold true now. Not only that; but, the premium for a cab doesn't seem as high as it once was. The cheapest 968 that is on autotrader.com is a high-mileage cab in and around LA @ $8900.

"There's usually 3-4 968's posted at any given time on craigslist.org here in the bay area. Usually 2 are low-milage high-priced and the other 1 or 2 is a regular 90k miles car. Then if you look to autotrader.com, you'll see a ton of other middle-mileage cars for sale."

Currently, there are five (5) 968s, two coupes and three cabs posted on SF Craigslist. The prices go from $14995 to $22990. The two coupes are $16990 and $22990. Both have been on craigslist for some time, IMHO because they're over-priced, especially the one with tip.

You are right about there being alot of 968s in the SF area. In general, SF has quite a few more of all models of Porsche for sale. The number of cars relative to other regions seems to make for more competitive pricing. So, I don't think that SF is an accurate representation of the entire 968 market. Every day, I check SF, LA, Phoenix, Orange, Seattle and San Diego. SF has them all beat hands down for number of listings. You're right about autotrader. But, even there, for whatever reason, you see a disproportionate number of over-priced cars. It's not an even distribution. Of the 49 cars listed, only 4 are below $13K. The majority of the 49 seem to be priced $16K-$22K. But, you are right. There are quite a few 90,000 to 100,000-mile-plus cars out there. But they're not selling for $12K-$19K. They're listed for $16K-$19K, too much INHO considering these cars are probably in need of some major mechanical work considering their age and mileage. But, the 968 market is a national market. You have to be willing to shop across the country to ferret-out a good car at a realistic price.

"The one thing to remember about 968's is that every owner has something pretty special -- the dealers were pumping all sorts of options into them so there's lots with special metallic colors, LSD, M030, painted matching spoilers, 993 seats, rootwood interior, 17" wheel Cup II's, etc.. At least they're all special as compared to my guards red on black 944NA (where there is probably 10k of them out there nearly identical)."

The other thing to remember is these owners "think" that they have something special. What they have is a 12 to 15-year-old car that's expensive to maintain. Sentamentality aside, what a car is really worth in practical terms is determined by the market and what someone is willing to pay.

ciao

Last edited by Little Porsche Boy; 04-20-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Yea..the Boxster effect on the market is troubling. I like the Boxster also but the early ones have some problems and they're not easy to work on . I don't find the 968 hard to work on...so maintenance costs are down for me.

I am, however, tempted to sell my '94 968 ( 70K miles black couple, close to pristine) and buy a newer 928 that I currently have. Late S4 or GT...those, I feel, beat the Boxster out in lots of ways....for may anyway. Maintenance not being one of them.

The 928 is way more reliable, I feel, than the 968 which is daily driver reliablility class. They're all Porsches BTW, and all cool.

Harvey
Old 04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Jerry944t
AutoX

Well please excuse this self serving post but I just placed a 95 968 Coupe with 56K miles on Rennlist Classified. I think, after much consultation with members here, that I put a fair price on it for starters.

I have driven early Boxters and I think the 968 is a better choice but I am a bit biased. I think prices of early Boxters are going to fall but that's just an opinion.

Feel free to take a look and email me if you have any interest or comments.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 04-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One positive thing for $$$ is that the owners of this model tend to be very passionate about it-considering the few that were made there is a large web community that is very active. Good, low mileage cars will still command high prices-there aren't many out there.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:37 PM
mavfan
Three Wheelin'

i think it's also the turbo prices that are going crazy. just check out ebay:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/turbo_...sPageNameZWLRS
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Come to think about it, the 968s and Turbos are bargains when compared to what people are paying for muscle cars like those on Barrett Jackson.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the car, and the location. In places were 968's are more rare, you can get way more for one than you can in California or NY.

Quick Reply: Are 968 prices going up?