Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An unusual oil leak...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An unusual oil leak...

My 944 just developed a curious oil leak. I haven't started investigating yet, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has seen a similar one. I'm seeing very clean (synthetic) oil dripping at the front left side of the engine cover. Tough to imagine how the heck it's getting there!! Perhaps it's following a coolant hose? I've had my share of leaks in the past but they've always been very obvious...and further back and pretty close to the center of the car...usually the crankshaft seal/sleeve.

Sigh, just as we get into the Porsche "high season"...

-Steve
Old 04-19-2006, 12:33 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

from the front engine cover? like belt cover?

could it be the front crank seal, or something? or are you talking about a different cover?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

The oil drips off the drivers side front bolt that holds the engine tray on...so it's pretty far forward, almost even with the radiator. That's what has me baffled.

-Steve
Old 04-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is AC stuff up there, maybe you're losing the AC oil? if it were passenger side, I'd say power steering fluid... but oil usually doesn't travel foward, and the only thing in it that uses oil in that area is the AC system....
Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

time to start pulling stuff.

get under there and start pokin around........

can you see anywhere else in the front where it's leaking?
Old 04-19-2006, 12:46 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
there is AC stuff up there, maybe you're losing the AC oil? if it were passenger side, I'd say power steering fluid... but oil usually doesn't travel foward, and the only thing in it that uses oil in that area is the AC system....

yeah, that's what i was thinking, i had my PS pump nuke itself one day (belt got caught between the pump and the pulley, boy was THAT fun!), and i was like "WTF, WTF, WTF! >_< " but on the driver's side, i dont know.

if it's very clear, i doubt it's actual engine oil. usually engine oil will gain some color after a few hundred miles....
Old 04-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

I hadn't thought of the AC at all...I guess I'm programmed to expect engine oil!! Can't imagine why! 8^) Yea, I'll start pulling it apart tonight to see who the culprit is. And yes the oil DID seem terribly clean.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve
Old 04-19-2006, 01:34 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Steve in New Hampshire
I hadn't thought of the AC at all...I guess I'm programmed to expect engine oil!! Can't imagine why! 8^) Yea, I'll start pulling it apart tonight to see who the culprit is. And yes the oil DID seem terribly clean.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Steve

here's the easy test-

pull the oil dipstick, and check the color of that oil against a white paper towel. then wipe of the oil that's leaking, against another white paper towel.

match?

edit- let us know how it goes...

Quick Reply: An unusual oil leak...