Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best street brake pads for S2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best street brake pads for S2?

I've seen at least 10 types. Buying a $20 set scares me, and I find it unnecessary to spend $140 per set. What are some good pads with low dust and an acceptable price? I don't autoX this car (YET) and would ideally be looking for pads to beat every now and then but primarily for daily driving needs in the city.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:03 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I've had great luck with Metal Masters on the street. More than enough performance for street speeds and the dust isn't bad compared to more performance geared pads.. And the price can't be beat. Look to buy from Paragon.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:06 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

metal masters, work excellent on the street, great for autox and dont do too bad on a big track.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
944S2IFISH2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I third the Metal Masters (for street application)! But... In spite of lower dust than factory pads, they are by NO MEANS dust free! The wheels are still filthy in a couple of days...

Also, make sure you bed them in proper.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

I have used the standard Metal Master pads on my S2 and was happy with them. Metal Master also makes a ceramic pad (Ultimate) that I currently use. Street bite is very good even from cold and they seem to work well on the track.

Cheers,
Old 04-19-2006, 01:24 PM
tuc
Advanced

I’ve had good luck with running the Porterfield R4S, great feel and grip with no noise. I’ve searched this in the past and read many positive comments on the Proterfields. Have not had them on the track so can’t comment on how they hold up. But, for serious track use one should use a pad designed for the track. I’ve seen the best prices for Porterfields, Pagids, and Hawks pad at http://www.livermoreperformance.com

tuc
Old 04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tuc
I’ve had good luck with running the Porterfield R4S, great feel and grip with no noise. I’ve searched this in the past and read many positive comments on the Proterfields. Have not had them on the track so can’t comment on how they hold up. But, for serious track use one should use a pad designed for the track. I’ve seen the best prices for Porterfields, Pagids, and Hawks pad at http://www.livermoreperformance.com

tuc
I used the Porterfield R4S pads on my dual-purpose N/A. I liked them alot. I think they were around $70 per set. They worked fine on the street, and pretty decent on the track.

I now use the Porterfield R4 track compound pads on my track car. You can't beat them for $103 per set delivered. I still don't understand why more people don't use them. I just ordered a couple sets today for this season.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:48 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

So the MMs universal front to back? at least for the later model 928s and 944S2s? Porterfields are on my list but I'm evaluating cost vs what I could do with the $ I save - SS brake lines.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:36 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

For street and AutoX I also liked the PBR Deluxe pads. Not too good for track use but quiet and easy on the rotors.

-Joel.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

well i work in the auto parts world...metal master pads are really garbage...over priced and made with technology from the 60's . I suggest you buy Mintex the red box kind) or Pagid pads...not race pads, standard replacement parts. Technology has advanced so far from the stockers that these will be an amazing difference! Metal masters tend to be hard on the rotors due to their high bronze content and their cold bite is crappy compared to modern( btw...they are also way overpricedmost wholesalers sell them for like 15$ to 25) we used to laugh when people bought Metal Masters about how people would stop 25 feet from the first stop sign of the day
Old 04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Pagid Blacks when running on the street. They are one of the OEM suppliers and work very well.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick, I don't doubt that you know the product specifications but I have had my car for a while and I have tried both the PBR Metal masters and the Pagids and I have found the opposite to be true. The metal masters did bite into the front rotors but I found the metal masters for almost half the price of the Pagids and from my view they performed better over all for me with less brake dust.

I am once again in need of brake pads and rotors, I have not made up my mind as of yet but I am leaning toward a set of metal masters but with the regular rotors instead of the cross drilled ones.

I say go with what ever floats your boat, man.

Peace

Old 04-20-2006, 01:56 AM
kdfoust
Track Day

My S2 is a daily driver that gets flogged hard on the track. I've used:

Porterfield R4S
EBC Redstuff
Hawk HP Plus N

The Hawks have the highest friction level of all the three pads whether hot or cold. For me they are actually have more grab than I really like. I think that they would be good on a car that doesn't have terrific brakes. They have required no particular bedding and don't seem to want anything special. They are squealing a bit on all four wheels but it doesn't bother me. These are still on my car.

The EBC Redstuff pads were okay but wore quite rapidily. When freshly bedded (I did 8-10 down hill stops from 60-80mph and then cooled everything off) they had a great feel. Their performance decreased noticably if the brakes weren't getting worked pretty hard. This leads to occasional re-bedding between track sessions.

The Porterfield R4S are good pads as well. They just seem to get a little wooden feeling with a marked decrease in performance if you're not working them hard occasionally. Once again occasional re-bedding is the solution. I run these pads on my 914 and like them a lot more on that car.

None of these pads show any fade whatsoever in my experience.

Have fun,
Kevin
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hawk HPS...

There is no street pad that comes close I work at a shop and install pads all the time and the Hawk HPS pad is superior on the street to everything else. It does what other pads only dreamed they could do and also metal masters are a joke. I cook through a set of those damn things it seems in like 6 months.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:56 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
Hawk HPS...

also metal masters are a joke. I cook through a set of those damn things it seems in like 6 months.

Then you must be driving hard as hell on the street.

Quick Reply: Best street brake pads for S2?