Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

928 engine in 944 chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006 | 10:36 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Someone should put a 951 engine in a 928 chassis just to **** people off!
Old 04-15-2006 | 12:02 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
You cant fit a 928 engine at all without a tube frame up front.
Why not?

Or are you just repeating what "everybody" says? I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants, but just wondering what is different in the dimensions of a LT1 vs the 928 engine.
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:20 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

The 928 32 v engine will fit in a 944 engine bay however the exhaust ports are banging the strut towers and with the 32v engine the stock induction will stick out of the hood closed line by about 65 mm Those problems are pretty easy to solve (with a torch, duct tape and yellow zip ties) the major issue being that the oil pan flange on the block smacks into the crossmember without a pan mounted to the block. SOO you think easy lets do a custom tube center section for the crossmember. AND if you are doing that you might as well tube subframe the front end for exhaust header room. AND while you are in there lets add a full cage and a 928 or pantera gearbox and the list goes on and on. Michael hit the nail on the head with the 4.5 Porsche engine. It is for all intents and purposes the same package as the GM LSx engine. The block is a tad shorter (good) and the support systems are in the right place. By the looks of the KM project they ditched the stock injection in favor of ITB's i am sure for preformance but i assume for package size as well. Time and mad fab skills can put a 32v 928 engine in a 944, seen it twice in person. One a butched up mess, unsafe at any speed, second a semi tube chassis in the front. Namely loops support the upper strut mounts and frame rails moved out, with the engine plated in to act as a stressed member of the chassis without the crossmember. Like a motorcycle more or less. The steering rack was a compact manual race car unit that was located really low. This was a 90% race / show car and 10% street. It was / is owned by a tubing manafacturer to show off the the custom aspect of what they can do in house for the aircraft industry. The headers are works of art that sweep forward then back to get both a 180 degree exhaust pulse and equal lenght. The owner took on the project for a friend and when people toured thier facility it got more attention and anything so they turned it into a rolling promo for thier business. They claim to have over 1500 manhours in the headers alone. So the moral of the story is yes it can be done well or poorly depending on your skill set or how deep your pockets are. This is definately a project that deep pockets and short arms people need not apply!

edit--I do have some pictures of the "good" 32v transplant, but would definately need to contact the owner of the car before scanning and posting them as they are copywrited promotional material.

Last edited by 944V8inDFW; 04-15-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:47 AM
944J
Banned

Anyone know the actual width, height, and depth of the 928 engine with and without all the little parts on it and the width, height, and depth of the 944 engine bay?

This is a logical starting point if you want to go anywhere besides just talk.
Old 04-15-2006 | 01:52 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Now a 944 with a Cayanne Engine that sounds intreging!!! It would definettly be fast as all hell if someone could make it happen. I would love to see someone try that instead of a corvette engine, then it would still be a porsch eenginge in the car. The Engine has good power and would ,make an interesting project but would definetlyt cost alot of money to figure out how to make it fit correctly not to mention how much one of those engines would cost.
Old 04-15-2006 | 02:00 AM
944J
Banned

I say that you can do a lot of the work by thinking it through before even buying a 928 engine and save a lot of money and see if its something you want to even do.
Old 04-15-2006 | 06:04 AM
944-LT1
Racer

Why not?

Or are you just repeating what "everybody" says? I'm not trying to be a smarty-pants, but just wondering what is different in the dimensions of a LT1 vs the 928 engine.
I never follow the crowd as you can probably tell. The reason is because before I even knew of an LT1 swap I thought of the 928 engine. I had access to one and measured it up. It simply wouldnt fit! Its no secret! The 944 4 cyl. barely fits as is. RC is right. The engine is ridiculously wide as compared to the compact LT series engine.

The main reason was the steering column just didnt clear as well as the mounting points...motor mounts, BH, etc..

To illustrate my point consider the following picture of an LT engine and a 944 4cyl. and youll see the size differences.

So to answer your question...I had a 928 available to take measurements. it would not fit. At least not in my car without cutting and welding alot.

Although you do bring up a good question as to how the others on this board seem to know. And how you choose me of all people to justify my post here.
Old 04-15-2006 | 09:48 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

While on topic, I might add something a bit off topic, CGT v-10 in 944?!?! Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 04-15-2006 | 10:46 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by silverBean
While on topic, I might add something a bit off topic, CGT v-10 in 944?!?! Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Yes it will fit! Cut the skin off the CGT and the 944 and transplant the 944 skin to the CGT! And while you are at it might as well end up with a front engine CGT that gets great fuel mileage! The CGT engine is a massive beast as far as size so the skin transplant would be the easiest, all you need is a torch, duct tape, yellow zip ties, an assortment of BFH's, and plenty of corn liquor.
Old 04-15-2006 | 04:04 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944-LT1
I never follow the crowd as you can probably tell.
Me neither. I think there is a lot of "common knowledge" on this board that is either incorrect, and/or people don't have a clue why it's correct or incorrect.

[QUOTE=944-LT1So to answer your question...I had a 928 available to take measurements. it would not fit. At least not in my car without cutting and welding alot.

Although you do bring up a good question as to how the others on this board seem to know. And how you choose me of all people to justify my post here. [/QUOTE]

Was that a 16v or 32v engine? I'd just like to know (not that I'm contemplating a swap).

I thought you might have had the actual answer, but just wanted to make sure (reference the "common knowledge" on this board).
Old 04-15-2006 | 04:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
Yes it will fit! Cut the skin off the CGT and the 944 and transplant the 944 skin to the CGT! And while you are at it might as well end up with a front engine CGT that gets great fuel mileage! The CGT engine is a massive beast as far as size so the skin transplant would be the easiest, all you need is a torch, duct tape, yellow zip ties, an assortment of BFH's, and plenty of corn liquor.
Is there really that much corn liqour in the world?
Old 04-15-2006 | 09:00 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

I don't know how much this will help the argument either way, but you can pretty much bolt 928 heads (dohc) to a BBC, so I imaging the size of the 928 engine is similar to the big-block ,but perhaps with a lower deck height, or higher crank position.

On the other hand, seeing how the 928 is essentially 2 944 engines, I don't see how it would be any taller. On that same note, If one measured the width of an S2 engine from the corner of the head to the center of the crank, then doubled it, it would give a decent approximation for the 928 engine width. I think it could fit, but custom headers and intake manifold might be required, as well as some cutting and welding, and steering modification, and maybe a remote power brake booster.

Old 04-15-2006 | 09:02 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I've always said anything is possible just get the welder warm and the credit card warmer!
Old 04-15-2006 | 09:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by badcoupe
I've always said anything is possible just get the welder warm and the credit card warmer!
Ain't no doubt brotha'
Old 04-16-2006 | 12:52 PM
Dennis Wilson
Drifting

The distance between the strut/shock towers are actually 1" wider on the 944 than on the 928 BUT the 928 used an offset for the brake booster to provide clearance for the V8. An option that has been discussed was using a longer torque tube to displace the engine further forward. Haven't seen it done but with a lot of time and money, anything is possible.

Dennis

Quick Reply: 928 engine in 944 chassis?