Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what do you do when.. (please read!!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:55 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default So what do you do when.. (please read!!)

you are trying to remove the clutch release lever and the 8mm bolt snaps flush where you thread it in???

I need to get the clutch housing off...does anyone know of a method to do when the bolt snaps?

thank you
mike

I'd prefer to use an extractor as a LAST resort...
Old 04-10-2006, 07:08 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

If it's flush and that big you have a couple of options...

1. drill it dead center and if you are dead on, drill again to the threads and pick the remnants off the threads. Possibly tap it again...

2. drill it dead center, drill it larger and helicoil it.

Did you PB it and tap it to wake it up?
Old 04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
moronputz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or drill it so that you can use a bolt extractor to remove the remains. If that doesn't work, then use more drastic measures. Note, that I have heard of the extractors snapping off and when that happens things get really nasty as they are hardened steel and very hard to drill.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:13 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Use an EZ-out until it snaps as well, then curse, then try to drill it out, dulling your drill bit, then curse some more, then buy a solid carbide drill bit and drill it out. Thats my normal MOE anyway
Old 04-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Are you talking about the bolt you thread in to draw the release fork pivot shaft out?

Try a reverse drill and see if you can back out the broken shank, then try try again.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

If it snapped then it's seized. Easy out probably won't touch that. If it sheared off and there is no attaching an extractor, drilling is a most likely candidate.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:24 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

AAAAAARGGHHH

Today has been the least productive day. Broke that bolt, decide to replace my master cylinder to at least accomplish something...broke the damn nipple off of the new master cylinder!! Now I'm stuck in my garage (missing class) and I can't do anything to my car because I lost my extractor bits....frustration..

Does that clutch lever just slide out once a bolt is threaded in? I sprayed it with Liquid Wrench a few days ago, yesterday, and today.

"Or drill it so that you can use a bolt extractor to remove the remains. If that doesn't work, then use more drastic measures. Note, that I have heard of the extractors snapping off and when that happens things get really nasty as they are hardened steel and very hard to drill."

That is why I dont want to use an extractor..

If I could get the bell housing off some how I could bring the bell housing to work and remove it properly (and saving myself hours of cursing and bitching underneath the car..) is there ANY way?? I seem to remember some rennlister removing the flywheel bolts and being able to remove the clutch housing..
Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if you unbolt the bellhousing from the engine, remove the speed and reference sensors, then unbolt the pressure plate through the starter opening you might be able to get it out the bottom with the engine still in the car.
It's probably more work than just working on the bolt in situ, but it definately decreases the chance of a mistake.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:34 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

try welding to it and using a slide hammer, I've had slide hammer one out of a NA before. I have a cone for my slide hammer, I stick a bolt through the cone and screw it in then screw my slide hammer on and presto they come right out.

Quick Reply: So what do you do when.. (please read!!)