Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Trim Removal (early)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Trim Removal (early)

Can anyone tell me how to get the windshield trim off/out on an early 944?

I looked at the FSMs. The 944 FSM only shows the late version and the 924 FSM isn't very helpful. I just cannot seem to figure out how the trim clips into place.

Can y'all give me a hand? I know several of you have done it. I'm starting to prep for paint and need to get the old windshield out (it's NFG).
Old 04-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Geo
Race Director

Come on guys, a little help here please.

I KNOW a number of you know the answer. I've gently pulled on the trim, but it won't move. I don't want to screw anything up.

I'm going to the shop today after my run. I would really appreciate some help on this.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:06 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Those clips became an issue when I tried to get the windshield replaced on the 83. They wouldn't do it as a mobile job. Two shops said they are hard to get out without a special tool. I think they get rusty making it real easy to bend the frame during removal. If I rememebr correctly they pushed one tool from the glass side and pulled the back side of the clip with a hook to release the clips. Trying to pry up the frame will damage the frame according to the shop. I hope you get a better answer.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Geo
Race Director

Thanks so much Steve. Things like that are what I fear with this job. I know there are folks who have parted a bunch of cars that should be able to give me a solution.

I'll beg if I have to.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geo, its been a while since I've done one butt, I did go out a take another peeky at my '83 car, and the extra clips left over from some of my parts cars. This is what I see and remember. After carefully prying out the rubber spacer seal thats taking up the space between the moulding trim and glass (its ribbed, and can be carefully pulled out started down at say........the battery side), you can then see those clips (on the sides only, not the top, butt, they are all the same type clip setup). Once ya get the routine down, you'll be able to do it by feel on the top section, butt, this is where the hook type moulding tools really are needed, since they need to be a fairly thin tool to get in there. Use masking tape or whatever, on the perimeter edge of glass, if your not real comfortable about not scratching up glass whilst doing this, till ya get the routine down good. I used either a screwdriver, or some of the thin moulding tools I have (harbor freight.....less than $5.00 for a set of three types of them, also available at many FLAPS), that have a good hook on 'em, and you need to pull the clip to one side or the other in order to get it to release from the stud tabs welded on the frame there. The clips should come out with the moulding when all released. The trick and or problem that I sorta/kinda remember in doing this is........easy of sliding those clips to the release side can be affected by the amount of rust, and/or window seal that may or may not be covering these clips in and around that stud. Start on a side moulding, and get your learning curve over there........where its much easier to see the clips and such. Good luck!

Edit: The clips do not have to come out with the trim, like I said above. By slidiing those clips in their slots, your just loosing the wedge grip on the trim peice. You could just use the moulding tool (thin arrow headed tool), and pry the clip up and away from the upper side of trim, but also risk more damage to trim and clips this way IMO. IF you can, slide those clips to the side that will release it from the stud, wiggle/jiggle/slightly pry, and either the clip will come out with the trim, or let go of the trim. Install, will be much easier. Install clips on the stud, slide all the way to the wedged position, and slide trim into and it will snap into place. No expert here, mind ya, just my experience with a few of these. Plan on breaking or destroying a couple of these clips. I doubt their very expensive from either the Porsche dealership or from any decent auto paint supply store. If nothing else, and you need just a few, let me know........I'll send 'em to ya.

Last edited by Granite 944; 04-08-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:55 AM
Geo
Race Director

Thanks Ken. It's a bit of a foreign language to me, but I imagine it will become more clear as I do it. Tomorrow the doors and hatch come off and then I'll try the windshield trim.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:21 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you going to drive the car to the paint shop with the doors and glass missing? I'm prepping for paint as well, and I'm trying to get as much of the stuff off that's not necessary for driving, like this trim. I'll have to leave the doors and glass on (except the quarter windows which pop out easily) so I can drive it, since I don't have cheap access to a flatbed, and it rains here frequently.

Trending Topics

Old 04-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Geo
Race Director

I'm going to paint it myself. I figured now is as good a time as any to learn. It's a race car so it only needs a 50/50 paint job (looks good at 50' and 50 mph). So, I'm going to paint it in my shop, right where it is.

Just about to head for the shop. The doors and hatch come off today. Hopefully I'll get a good head start on cleaning the engine bay.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Granite 944
Geo, its been a while since I've done one butt, I did go out a take another peeky at my '83 car, and the extra clips left over from some of my parts cars. This is what I see and remember. After carefully prying out the rubber spacer seal thats taking up the space between the moulding trim and glass (its ribbed, and can be carefully pulled out started down at say........the battery side), you can then see those clips (on the sides only, not the top, butt, they are all the same type clip setup). Once ya get the routine down, you'll be able to do it by feel on the top section, butt, this is where the hook type moulding tools really are needed, since they need to be a fairly thin tool to get in there. Use masking tape or whatever, on the perimeter edge of glass, if your not real comfortable about not scratching up glass whilst doing this, till ya get the routine down good. I used either a screwdriver, or some of the thin moulding tools I have (harbor freight.....less than $5.00 for a set of three types of them, also available at many FLAPS), that have a good hook on 'em, and you need to pull the clip to one side or the other in order to get it to release from the stud tabs welded on the frame there. The clips should come out with the moulding when all released. The trick and or problem that I sorta/kinda remember in doing this is........easy of sliding those clips to the release side can be affected by the amount of rust, and/or window seal that may or may not be covering these clips in and around that stud. Start on a side moulding, and get your learning curve over there........where its much easier to see the clips and such. Good luck!

Edit: The clips do not have to come out with the trim, like I said above. By slidiing those clips in their slots, your just loosing the wedge grip on the trim peice. You could just use the moulding tool (thin arrow headed tool), and pry the clip up and away from the upper side of trim, but also risk more damage to trim and clips this way IMO. IF you can, slide those clips to the side that will release it from the stud, wiggle/jiggle/slightly pry, and either the clip will come out with the trim, or let go of the trim. Install, will be much easier. Install clips on the stud, slide all the way to the wedged position, and slide trim into and it will snap into place. No expert here, mind ya, just my experience with a few of these. Plan on breaking or destroying a couple of these clips. I doubt their very expensive from either the Porsche dealership or from any decent auto paint supply store. If nothing else, and you need just a few, let me know........I'll send 'em to ya.
Well, Ken was pretty much spot-on! As I started on removing the trim, this all started making sense. One critical step was to remove the rubber spacer. All was revealed after that.

For my part, I muscled the clips with a screwdriver and hammer. Took some beating actually. I found out that the clips didn't need to be fully released to get the trim up (but be careful). I wasn't worried about the windshield because it's toast. In fact, the only reason I didn't have a glass shop do it was because I'm just trying to get it out to paint (and complete a couple of welds on the cage). I took some pix so if anyone is following along at home it will make more sense.

Thanks a bunch Ken. Without your help I'd be still scratching my head, bending/breaking trim, or just calling a glass company.

Now I may see if I can get a good discount on the windshield if I pick it up and install it myself.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Geo
Race Director

OK, here are the promised pics.

Here's the clips in place:
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Geo
Race Director

Here are the posts with the clips removed:
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:07 PM
Geo
Race Director

Here are some update pix of the car as it sits.

I'm really to start the cleaning and scuffing in preparation for paint. I've got to do a LOT of cleaning. I hope to borrow a pressure washer next weekend.

Hatch is off. Doors and hood are off. All I have to do is remove the windshield.

Getting close.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:08 PM
Geo
Race Director

Oh yeah, getting the undercoating off the fender wells was a real b!tch.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Geo
Race Director

Lastly, my belly pan. Yesterday it was layered with hard crusted grease and grunge. It was also bend up.
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
Lastly, my belly pan. Yesterday it was layered with hard crusted grease and grunge. It was also bend up.

Congrats on getting the moulding off intact. I'm still trying to understand how the trim would attach to the clip from looking at the photo. That's the only other aluminum pan I've seen. I have never put it on the 83 since it came with the car. I don't think I've even seen a pic with the aluminum pan on a car; I'm curious how it looks or if you can even see it from the front. Mine was actually polished real nice and all the louvers are straight.

Quick Reply: Windshield Trim Removal (early)