Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help! The worst plugs I've ever seen

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,135 Likes on 811 Posts

XSboost hit the nail on the head . I used to have a 944S with this exact problem. You are right , if a car leaked this much oil into the combustion chamber it would never run .... probably because you would have so much smoke behind you the guy behind would rear end you :-). Now look at those pics again really carefully. The combustion point of the plugs is exactly as it should be. tan , dry .. I bet this car runs just fine. The valve cover gasket is leaking and the oil is running down. and soaking the top of the plugs, as he unscrews the plugs it is getting all over the threads. Buy a new gasket set, I sealed the " o rings" around where the plug wires go with rtv and never had the problem again ...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:55 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by genikz
Nope, sorry! SoCal.

Well, I'll be heading that way in a little bit... we should grab a brew while i'm out there! also, if you need a car detailed... lemme know.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:14 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My black car did something like this, however it was an 8valve N/a.

The 4th cylinder was so badly scored that oil was blowing back into the airbox. A confused Rock kept topping the oil off, thinking it was loss due to a leak. However all of that oil collected into the airbox. It was so bad that when I floored it, the car would spit enough smoke to literally blind about 5 cars behind me. I came home from school one day, and I got on the car. My mom came outside and saw all of the smoke and thought that the car was on fire.

I delved into the problem later, putting new spark plugs in, and after ONE start they were filthy. Covered in oil just like yours.

The problem was the 4th cylinder injector was sticking open and dumping fuel into the crankcase. The oil got so contaiminated that it scored the block and probally toasted the rings. I have never seen the damaged to that engine however.

I have pictures of it, see page 5

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...1&page=5&pp=15
Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Genikz, for reference, my '88 924S's compression reads betwen 180 and 185 across all four cylinders...

Welcome to the club. I hope you get it solved soon.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:29 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yes its a dsg and yes it freaken sweet and yes i love it and its all mine and no you cant drive her. good luck on the 24
Old 04-01-2006, 02:59 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Well, I'll be heading that way in a little bit... we should grab a brew while i'm out there! also, if you need a car detailed... lemme know.
For sure man. I'm in Anaheim, about 10 minutes away from disneyland. Just shoot me a PM or email at genikz@yahoo.com
I'm always ready for more 944 Spec tips

Originally Posted by Rock
The problem was the 4th cylinder injector was sticking open and dumping fuel into the crankcase. The oil got so contaiminated that it scored the block and probally toasted the rings. I have never seen the damaged to that engine however.
Well, not much smoke out of it thankfully. Only a little puff when I rev it past 2k, but honestly that may have been steam. I just got done replacing the plug wires since they just came in tonight...but I pulled the fuel rail off and got fuel all over the place...so I'll start it after it...umm...airs out

Originally Posted by WolfeMacleod
Genikz, for reference, my '88 924S's compression reads betwen 180 and 185 across all four cylinders...

Welcome to the club. I hope you get it solved soon.
Thanks for the #s! I'm going to test compression tomorrow afternoon. Let's hope for the best.

Originally Posted by cjeckert
Yes its a dsg and yes it freaken sweet and yes i love it and its all mine and no you cant drive her. good luck on the 24
I test drove an A3 2.0T DSG and loved every minute of it. Wait
'till you chip it
Old 04-01-2006, 03:18 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

For sure man. I'm in Anaheim, about 10 minutes away from disneyland.
Heh. I was just down there in January at the Convention Center for that hugeass music industry tradeshow, NAMM. I'm sure you remember the extra 90,000 people and clogged traffic....
Drove the 924S all the way from Seattle, I did.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:16 AM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Heh. I was just down there in January at the Convention Center for that hugeass music industry tradeshow, NAMM. I'm sure you remember the extra 90,000 people and clogged traffic....
Drove the 924S all the way from Seattle, I did.
I used to have to drive home that way...but can avoid that area like the plague now

What kind of mileage did you get on that trip? I have a feeling I'll be driving the 924S to and from the track for a while. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2006, 05:51 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE:

I just got done with the cold/dry compression test. Results are:

#1: 165
#2: 165
#3: 160
#4: 156

Much lower than some 10.2:1 engines, but at least they're somewhat consistent.

With new ignition wires it idles much smoother, which is great. I guess at this point I'm going to log a few hundred miles and check the plugs periodically. During the compression test, the plugs looked good with only a little bit of oil on the base of #1, #3 and #4 (around the washer area). Let's hope that it was in fact just a bad wet compression test right before I got it and there is no actual leak.

Thanks for your help everybody. I'll keep ya updated.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:27 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Those look really good actually the best thing is that they are all consistant, oil air sepurator perhaps. Oh yeah i cant wait to chip, the fact the engine is realy underated by factory plus chip is crazy. Stock 225hp and 230-240 ft pds w/t chip 260hp and 300 ft pds of tourqu
Old 04-01-2006, 09:34 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cjeckert
Those look really good actually the best thing is that they are all consistant, oil air sepurator perhaps. Oh yeah i cant wait to chip, the fact the engine is realy underated by factory plus chip is crazy. Stock 225hp and 230-240 ft pds w/t chip 260hp and 300 ft pds of tourqu
Yeah, I feel MUCH better about the state of the engine after the comp. test.

God bless turbos! (plus you have that HUGE stock front mount intercooler, you lucky bastard!)
Old 04-01-2006, 10:33 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some advice. Get it inspected before you put any money into it. Few things are more expensive than a cheap Porsche.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:54 PM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

I used to have to drive home that way...but can avoid that area like the plague now

What kind of mileage did you get on that trip?
30mpg

EDIT:

Let me be a little more specific. As I recall.. (I believe I posted results awhile back, but I'm too lazy to search)

I filled up here in Seattle. I filled up again deep in Oregon, and again deep in California. Each fill was right about 11 gallons. I'll have to look for my tax reciepts for the exact numbers...I wrote the miles down on each reciept.
I put about one gallon in at the start of Tejon Pass, and made it all the way to the convention center before the low gas light came on. That was the only time it came on during the trip.
34-35 Gallons of fuel, roughly.

My place to Disney Land is 1173.6 miles. Lets estimate high, and figure 36 gallons.
32.6 miles.

For the record, If I'd done the speed limit all the way, it probably would have been higher. My average speed was "very" fast. We won't say exactly...

Last edited by WolfeMacleod; 04-01-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:39 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Did you clean the area around the plugs? If so, enjoy it for a little while then take another peek to see where the oil is coming from. Given how dark and dirty it is, either it was there for a very long time, or it leaked a little while ago.

Compression test results look just fine (remember, it was a cold compression test). No worries there.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:56 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

30mpg
Dayamn. That's on par with my GTi. Good to know

Originally Posted by Zero10
Did you clean the area around the plugs? If so, enjoy it for a little while then take another peek to see where the oil is coming from. Given how dark and dirty it is, either it was there for a very long time, or it leaked a little while ago.
Indeed I did. And my thoughts exactly on the condition of the oil.

Originally Posted by Zero10
Compression test results look just fine (remember, it was a cold compression test). No worries there.
Agreed. Thanks for the replies!

Quick Reply: Please Help! The worst plugs I've ever seen