Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally it's in my driveway (With Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it happenned to you, mut be a real pain. I do have a spare belt and I plan on replacing it but not just right now. I'm taking the gamble. I'd like to drive it a little before starting to take things apart.

Good luck with your repairs

Originally Posted by AZS2
You know, my T belt failed. I'm gonna get away for under $1200, fixing it but thats doing all the work myself except the head stuff. And, I am using second hand valves to replace the bent ones. If you don't know that the timing belts been done, be like Nike and "Just Do It". I didn't take that one ounce of prevention and today I really regret it. Its cost me alot of extra money and alot of extra work. I really wouldn't F*** around here, its that critical. If you think switches and sunroof gears are annoying, you should see 8 bent exhaust valves. Those dudes cost $90 each retail, simple math but I will point it for sake of clarity, thats $720. And you haven't even got into labor and all the other crap that will need to be replaced and thats only the 8 exhaust valves. I didn't even mention the 8 intakes.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:27 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man, let me know where you get your alignment done. I need to do mine too!
Old 03-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

I'll have to get back to you on this, it's the PO that's doin it and I don't know what's the name. I only know that it's in Joliet !! The reason it's that far is that supposedly their the best.

Originally Posted by StyleLab
hey man, let me know where you get your alignment done. I need to do mine too!
Old 03-27-2006, 07:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

Well I am relieved to hear it was maintained , I thought not after the list of problems you gave, sorry. IF you start working on your car I would still suggest a timing belt and tensioner ASAP, I have just seen it , and experienced it too many times. mY timing belt looked great , and then the tensioner broke off the head destroying my head and two cams.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Bluesky4x4
Instructor

The S2 tag could be there because it's an NA with some body mods! . My buddy had a CRX DX model that he put an SI tag on. Everyone thought it was an SI, including the dealer he traded it at (my buddy did inform him that it was a DX though).
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Hey, never thought about that That would explain the 2.7L engine

No, no, no, just kiding.

Originally Posted by Bluesky4x4
The S2 tag could be there because it's an NA with some body mods! . My buddy had a CRX DX model that he put an SI tag on. Everyone thought it was an SI, including the dealer he traded it at (my buddy did inform him that it was a DX though).
Old 03-27-2006, 09:39 PM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sysgen
Thanks Brandon, I need to find a local shop for all these parts, having them shipped across border does not work. we get killed by the brokerage fees.

Hey, Daredevil, I'm in Ahuntsic, send me a PM if you plan on coming and I'll give you my address.

Thanks all for the nice complements
Well you have Porsche Prestige in Dorval or Automobiles E. Lauzon In Laval

Brandon
Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Very nice find, Stephane! If this is your first 944-series car, you have started with a good model.

Enjoy it, and welcome to Rennlist!

Btw, I like the custom tail badge!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:07 PM
944J
Banned

I hope my tbelt never fails, but isnt it cheaper to buy a new(used) engine?

Originally Posted by AZS2
You know, my T belt failed. I'm gonna get away for under $1200, fixing it but thats doing all the work myself except the head stuff. And, I am using second hand valves to replace the bent ones. If you don't know that the timing belts been done, be like Nike and "Just Do It". I didn't take that one ounce of prevention and today I really regret it. Its cost me alot of extra money and alot of extra work. I really wouldn't F*** around here, its that critical. If you think switches and sunroof gears are annoying, you should see 8 bent exhaust valves. Those dudes cost $90 each retail, simple math but I will point it for sake of clarity, thats $720. And you haven't even got into labor and all the other crap that will need to be replaced and thats only the 8 exhaust valves. I didn't even mention the 8 intakes.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:16 PM
ether_joe
Instructor

magnifique!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Sysgen
Drifting

Whoohooo! Just fixed my first bug, well almost.

I was troubleshooting my sunroof not working and couldn`t find what was wrong. Si I took Elect-18 from Clarks-Garage and went thru it once more. And voila, I had skipped to check the Sun Visor Micro switch because I tought that a switch never fails. Well the switch was ok, but the plastic holding the switch in place was broken!!!

Now I only need to change the gears and glue that switch in place.

By the way on the Elect-18 procedure it is mentioned that the Sunroof relay is in position G18 but it is not! It is in position G21, on my S2 that is. I have nothing in G18.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:33 AM
RMills944
Drifting

WOw, that is a nice cat in the driveway...

make sure he doesnt' walk on the 951 - that's punishable by death!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Testarosa took care of that yesterday, he obliterated it

Originally Posted by RMills944
WOw, that is a nice cat in the driveway...

make sure he doesnt' walk on the 951 - that's punishable by death!
I Have another question

First thing that struck me when I started it is the speed of the starter. It sounds like starting a car at -20 degres, it turns verrryyy slowly, also the electric windows are also slow to go up or down. All the rest is fine and all voltages are perfect. Someone told me that it's typical of old cars !
Old 03-28-2006, 10:49 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Check your battery. Amps make the difference in starting not volts. I put in a new battery and it turned over much faster. Also your starter may be getting a bit weak. My windows are very slow also. Probably aging motors, cables, etc.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

How do you test the amperage in a battery, it's way too high!, my tester only goes to 10Amps ! I guess I could try to jump start it with another car to see if it makes a difference or simply swap the battery from the PT to the 944

Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan
Check your battery. Amps make the difference in starting not volts. I put in a new battery and it turned over much faster. Also your starter may be getting a bit weak. My windows are very slow also. Probably aging motors, cables, etc.

Last edited by Sysgen; 03-28-2006 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Finally it's in my driveway (With Pics)