Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More parking lot damage

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More parking lot damage

I don't like stereotypes but it seems to me like the majority of Americans (those that got here before me) are irresponsible f#@%s. I've lived in 2 cities in 6 years and I fail to see how ANYONE can manage to keep their car looking nice with all the idiots out there.

I paid close to $4000 6 months ago to have my car repainted and it seems like no matter where I park it, whether its on the street or in a lot or even a mile from the front of a store in away from other cars, someone always manages to park near me and hit my damn car. After being hit in the rear it all went downhill, now there are dings, paintchips, dents, and great quantities of touch up paint all over my doors and fenders. There is fading from cleaning egg off my car. There are dents from beer bottles and other miscellaneous crap.

Almost everyday I'll see someone parking and SLAM into a car then just drive off after causing a good deal of damage. I will park my car and begin to walk and watch as the car beside me opens their door SMACK right into mine. Looks at me then keeps walking. They use doors as bumpers to judge how much space to get out, they use bumpers with the idea that once you tap them, you're sufficiently in the space. The people take good car of their car, and god forbid I hit my door into theirs. But its ok for them to do it. Hasn't anyone any responsibility for their actions here? It seems like if you do something wrong you run, if you get caught just blame someone else, if you're accused fight it till the death.

I apoligize for the rant, arrived home and did my daily inspection of the car to find a nice ding from a door and more missing paint. Which might as well justify to people hitting the door again since the car is starting to look like crap from it. Seems like the only way to keep your car nice is to buy it, put it in your garage, and never drive it.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:17 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

seems like your avatar should say "kill bad parkers"

i can honestly say i've never hit another car while parking, or hit their doors while opening up. i've actually released the brake, and pushed my car into a space as to not mess up my doors. luckily, no one has caused a dent on my car.

luckily for them....

bastards..................
Old 03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Exactly why the 924S wont get repainted until it has a garage to live in.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:43 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Sad but true...that is why I will always keep my side trim.
I can't tell you how many times I have come out to find more paint flaking off of them, but the door is ok!
Old 03-22-2006, 06:51 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Question

i park as far away as i can where about the only cars are much like mine, folks don't want to get parking lot rash.

if you choose close in parking with cars on both sides, you've done it to yourself.

i've been in my wifes car and have the door getaway and inadvertently smack another car, it wasn't planned but like the bumper sticker says "**** happens" and it's not different becaused it happened with you on the business end of the damage.

what i find amazing on this site is if a p-car is rearended, the other driver is the lowest life scum on the planet but on the other hand if the p-car driver rear ends someone it was an act of god and no one could have avoided it.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont park near anything, and i dont ever let it out of my site. WHen i do park - in the truck- in a parking lot or somewhere, i do a quick inspection before i leave. I see a white mark on my truck and a white car next to me, i fix the problem w/ a size 13 boot.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:29 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzy
Seems like the only way to keep your car nice is to buy it, put it in your garage, and never drive it.
Works for me!!

But SRSLY, I have had great luck with parking away from other cars. Granted I usually dont take the 951 to work or places where I know it will sit for hours unattended...
Old 03-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

At the medical campus I work on, I make it a habit to park 1/4 mile almost exactly from the front of the lot, I park at the end of one row and even go so far as to stick the car out 2ft+ from the next parking spot inside. Somehow, theres always another car beside me as I come back out, no car in sight but one next to me, and they took the liberty of making the 2' compensation as well. Theres a reason my friend calls me 'ol black cloud'.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:27 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I park in the absolutely farthest parking spot in my school's garage. It literally takes me 3 minutes to exit the garage and another 6 minutes to reach my building on campus. Most of the time I'm the only car parked there, but not always.

Try to park to that you're on the other car's passenger side, so hopefully they don't have passengers that day and thus their door won't open to hit your car. Or buy a cheap car cover and put it on when you leave the car. Seems ridiculous but I see people do it sometimes.

And yes, 99.999% of people out there are ****head dumbass f***faces that don't care about other people's property.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:16 AM
jgleano
Instructor

damn door-dingers guys. Ive had my doors knocked up a few times. I always try to park at the corners of the parking lots where there is curve next to me besides one other car. i havent had any chipping of paint though....i guess i'm lucky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jevan Leaño
1989 944 n/a turbo clone (931 hood)
----
Old 03-23-2006, 01:43 AM
Supachink
Racer

Im not exactly a fan of parking lots either, ive gotten my fair share of dings and dents and it makes me furious! but nothing will top the time i got a ride with my friend from school. We walk back to his car in the parking lot and he is staring at this one car next to him, and i said something along the lines of what , did they get ya? and sure enough they had put a ding in his door, paint and everything. ill never forget how he reacted.... calmly he said "yep they got me, and proceeded to stick a key in to the side of their car and pull a nice little line across the drivers door. good god it was like fingernails on a chalk board. come to think of it, his car was probably freshly repainted probably 2 weeks beforehand
Old 03-23-2006, 01:50 AM
scshamus
AutoX

Nothing ticks me off more then a hit and run in a parking lot.I had a guy in a large pickup backinto my 93 supercharged tbird which i have put alot of money into,more then my wife will ever know.ha.ha.anyway the guy did some damage to the deck lid brake light and damaged my almost new 4000 $ paint job,so the a hole tryed to keep going .I jumped out and said "hey we need to exchange info.The guy had the nerve to say"what the **** are you going to do i'm not showing you ****"at this point I showed him my sheriff's badge and sidearm.I got his info and he went to jail for hit and run,and trying to leave the scene of the accident.Just a little justice for all the other times we get screwed by loser a hole's.btw if you see someone damage your car and you dont fell safe talking to them about it get their plate # and call the police.non emergency NOT 911.even though we love are cars. shamus
Old 03-23-2006, 02:43 AM
MyBlackCar
Pro

I feel you. When I used to own a beautiful scratch free black Civic, I had a punk back into me in the mall parking lot. I found that it helps to learn to detail your own car. Get a compressor and paint sprayer at Kragen and start learning.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 AM
Erzengal
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remeber walking around in Paris looking at all the little cars like the Ford KA's and SMART Cars that were parked on the sidewalk. I don't recall seeing a single one without its bumpers scratched all to hell.
It seems that with the limited space around there, its common for people to force their way into a spot. Fooken nuts.

And yeah, I love parking in the middle of nowhere too, and having 1 single bloody car park in the spot next to you when there are 50 others around you.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:43 AM
WhoDak
Instructor

When I was in Paris we were asking around about the driving situation, and they said that most of the drivers don't even have insurance...no one stops anyways. Kind of makes sense to me, you don't have the oppurtunity to get going that fast unless you get out of the city more at the edges.

Quick Reply: More parking lot damage