Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XP: Pics and Progress post - mods, custom install and such

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:05 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP: Pics and Progress post - mods, custom install and such

There have been lots of for sale posts (guilty!) and racing posts, and not much about our cars. Thought it would be nice to post some pics of what I'm messing with and projects going on with the car.

Huntley MAF (happened to be brand new!)
Vitesse/Perfect Power SMT5
Black **** installed in glove box
tial 46mm wastegate
Lots more, 3 classes, 2 tests, and working on the car... I don't feel like thinking.

Anyway, on with the pictures!
Glove box install fo boost control, piggyback, and zeitronix & SMT plugs for laptop use, mess of wires, lots of engine bay, new maf setup, wires and vacuum hoses going through firewall, and to wastegate...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Tial 46mm wg, and lots of valves, and like the only **** I bought myself that isnt for my car, new kicks:
Old 03-22-2006, 02:37 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Good post. I still don't understand half the stuff under your hood, but I guess that's just because the only turbo I've ever owned or driven is my turbodiesel. That stuff looks complicated! Nice!

No belt covers?
Old 03-22-2006, 02:59 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FRporscheman
Good post. I still don't understand half the stuff under your hood, but I guess that's just because the only turbo I've ever owned or driven is my turbodiesel. That stuff looks complicated! Nice!

No belt covers?
You can ask me what things are if you are curious...
oh, and
Originally Posted by Campecker
"no belt covers biaatch!"
Old 03-22-2006, 11:03 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Eyal,

Great pics and looks like you've been very busy. I also installed my Boostcontroller in the glovebox.

BTW: Nices pics but shoes has to go
Old 03-22-2006, 01:35 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Yep, very busy. Lots more coming in the following weeks as well! I like it in the glove box, how did you route your vacuum lines?
The shoes own!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:15 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

There's a Rubber Grommett on the firewall right behind the valve cover. It's right next to the lifting eye on the valve cover. I made a cut on that grommet and used a wire to feed it thru and taped the hose at the end of the wire. Actually coat hanger. The other end of this grommet ends up right behind the glovebox. Also used vaseline to lubricate the hose.

http://my951s.photosite.com/Album1/?page=3

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car's in the shop now getting the following installed:

Front:
Koni coil over suspension kit with 400 lb springs.
Kokeln A-arms
Racer's Edge camber plates
SS-braided brake lines
Brake cooling kit

Rear:
31mm hollow torsion bars
Koni sport shocks
Delrin bushings
Solid torsion bar housing mounts
Solid tranny mount.

Also getting the rod-bearings replaced, a tranny fluid flush, brake fluid flush, steering fluid replace, and headlight fluid flush. People always forget about the headlight fluid flush. Neglecting it is worse than neglecting the cam chain guide/tensioner in a 16V '44.

-Z-man.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Z-man, will I be able to take a Z06 better on the freeway during rush hour if I have new headlight fluid? I've been thinking about deleting my tail light fluid, You think my brake light bulb will still operate without the water cooling?

On a serious note, that suspension setup is awsome, good thing your over on the east coast, because I wouldn't want to be on the same track as you since you'll destroy my turbo.
I have suspension coming very soon. Its from a rennlister's car.
Koni yellows - revalved stiffer, shortened 1", 3 race weekends since last revalve.
coilover front with 400 pd springs
30mm torsion bars in rear
I have that sfi, (or whatever it is) upgraded ball joint kit laying around, so I'll do that too.
SS lines already installed. I do have 4 new zimmermans and a set of F and R Hawk HP+, but haven't gotten around to doing that.
I'll be buying welt torsion tube and spring plate bushings for the install, and possibly 968 caster blocks if I want to spend more. Otherwise everything else will remain stock for now. (sway bars, bushings, control arms etc) I'll be on the look out for a good deal on a pair of welt sways soon enough. I've meesed with my engine plenty, but I'm really a suspension guy, so I'm very excited to do this, and I'm really hoping to finally get some quality track time.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:02 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eyal:
I would love to take a trip to CA someday with my car - Mmmm - Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Streets of Willow.... I've had to polish out the scrapes in my door handles too often due to massive leaning in the corners - that's why I'm doing the upgrade. (No, it didn't lean that much, but was still pretty horrible!)

Some say that the 31mm hollow torsion bars will be too stiff for the 400lb front springs, while others say it's perfect. Once I start driving it, I'll know - if there's too much oversteer, I can dial it out with the rear swaybar a little, and if necessary, I can always go with a 450 / 500 lb spring in the front.

Still, at 400lb - that's about the limit for a streetable '44, IMHO.

I already have the 968 caster blocks, but I'm considering getting something better right now, since everything else is all monoball yadda yadda...delrin blahblahblah. Also thinking of getting harder swaybar bushings.

I also already have an M030 front sway and a Welt 22mm rear sway. With the stock suspension, I found those sways to be a bit too much - with the new goodies going in, I think those sways should complement the extra stiffness quite nicely.

-Z-man.

PS: Definately keep the taillight fluid in - if you overheat your tail lights, you can cause a fire - just above the gas tank - it ain't pretty.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Good work. I put my SMT-7 next to the DME, but then I don't have the big knock controller box there. Its pretty easy access to the dongle by pulliing back the velcro a bit. soldering while standing on your head isn't very fun.

good luck finishing it all up.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What the heck do you have 27 valves for?
Old 03-22-2006, 05:26 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Eyal:
I would love to take a trip to CA someday with my car - Mmmm - Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Streets of Willow.... I've had to polish out the scrapes in my door handles too often due to massive leaning in the corners - that's why I'm doing the upgrade. (No, it didn't lean that much, but was still pretty horrible!)

Some say that the 31mm hollow torsion bars will be too stiff for the 400lb front springs, while others say it's perfect. Once I start driving it, I'll know - if there's too much oversteer, I can dial it out with the rear swaybar a little, and if necessary, I can always go with a 450 / 500 lb spring in the front.

Still, at 400lb - that's about the limit for a streetable '44, IMHO.

I already have the 968 caster blocks, but I'm considering getting something better right now, since everything else is all monoball yadda yadda...delrin blahblahblah. Also thinking of getting harder swaybar bushings.

I also already have an M030 front sway and a Welt 22mm rear sway. With the stock suspension, I found those sways to be a bit too much - with the new goodies going in, I think those sways should complement the extra stiffness quite nicely.

-Z-man.

PS: Definately keep the taillight fluid in - if you overheat your tail lights, you can cause a fire - just above the gas tank - it ain't pretty.

Hey Z man,
I have 400lbs springs up front and 29mm torsions in the rear (stock sways). My car is a little tail end happy with 245s on all fours. If you run a 31mm in the rear with 400lbs springs up front it should make for a real fun car. Careful though, lol. On a street car, I agree, 400lbs is prolly the most I would go. And I am not picky about the stiff ride at all. The rear end is more what rides stiff and makes some noise, though. Wish I could feel my car with larger sways but the car is being sold.

I would def be excited to test out a car with 31mm rear T-bars and 400lbs front springs. I mean really, how bad is it to throw in a new set of front springs if the balance is too far off? Also, you could run a larger tire in the rear to get better traction and that could assist to balance it out. And like you said, adjust the sways to work it out.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:30 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One more thing Z-man,
Don't you think the rear will be too stiff (if there is a such thing ) with 31mm t-bars AND solid trans mount AND solid T-bar housing mount? Is the car street driven with mostly track duty or what?
Old 03-22-2006, 06:10 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Eyal,
Nice job on the black STB. Gives me an idea.

Z-man,
I think your set-up will be just fine. If it is not it is easy enough to adjust with sway bars or 450lbs front springs.

Quick Reply: XP: Pics and Progress post - mods, custom install and such