Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:02 PM
blgdaddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cooling Fan Question

I tried the search thingy and my puter locked up. Must be a million and one post on this.

I disconnected my fans from the swithch on the radiator. I then proceeded to jump them.

Should both fans have kicked in? Only the little one on the passenger side came on.

Thanks in advance.
Dale
Old 03-21-2006, 09:30 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Check with the ignition and AC turned on. You should get both fans running high speed then. If not, one of them might have gone South.

The six blade fans should swap right in (I have one of each right now) The only tricky thing about getting the fan shroud out is getting to the three top bolts. Once those are out, the shroud drops right out the bottom.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:38 PM
blgdaddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by jpk
Check with the ignition and AC turned on. You should get both fans running high speed then. If not, one of them might have gone South.

The six blade fans should swap right in (I have one of each right now) The only tricky thing about getting the fan shroud out is getting to the three top bolts. Once those are out, the shroud drops right out the bottom.

I turned on the ignition and the fan on the passenger side spun at a much higher rpm. the one on the drivers side did not spin at all.

The PO only has three bolts holding the assembly to the radiator. The genius has one at each bottom corner, and one that is to long right in the middle on the top.

So i guess i need to get a new fan. WOO HOO. well atleast i know why i am having heating issues now.

Thanks
Dale
Old 03-21-2006, 10:15 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by blgdaddy
I turned on the ignition and the fan on the passenger side spun at a much higher rpm. the one on the drivers side did not spin at all.

The PO only has three bolts holding the assembly to the radiator. The genius has one at each bottom corner, and one that is to long right in the middle on the top.

So i guess i need to get a new fan. WOO HOO. well atleast i know why i am having heating issues now.

Thanks
Dale
If you buy a new fan set up for the 83 get the 6-blade later fans from the 85.5+. It's a great conversion that stabilizes the constant cycling of the older 3-blade fans, runs cooler, and is much more quiet. Daniel951 is selling a set with the shroud, on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...spagenameZWDVW

If you want I have the old 3-blade set but persoanlly I wouldn't bother if you need new fans.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Talking

Originally Posted by blgdaddy

Thanks
Dale
excuse me but your 1st post said you unhooked the fans at the switch and now you say when the switch is on.......one runs faster.

the genious was only missing one bolt on the bottom and i'd love to see a pic of the long bolt on the top.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:55 PM
blgdaddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by bearone
excuse me but your 1st post said you unhooked the fans at the switch and now you say when the switch is on.......one runs faster.

the genious was only missing one bolt on the bottom and i'd love to see a pic of the long bolt on the top.

Since you read my post so clearly, i am sure you saw the part where i said i disconnected at the radiator and the jumped the fans. In the next post i said i turned on the ignition as suggested by jpk.

so to make this more clear as i may not be as articulate as some.

I disconnected the fans from the radiator switch and then proceeded to jump the two leads with a metal object ( a paperclip to be exact ). By doing this, i created continuity between the 2 leads to simulate the thermal switch activating.

I then turned the ignition to the on position as suggested by jpk. When i did this the fan on the passenger side began to spin at a higher RPM (revolutions per minute) than it did with the ignition in the off position. The fan on the drivers side (the side with the steering wheel) did not activate with the ignition in the on or off position.

Conclusion = The fan on the drivers side is no longer operational and will need to be replaced.

I will get a pic of the fastener that is too long when i pull the fans out.

Thanks
Dale
Old 03-21-2006, 11:10 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CLARK'S GARAGE.COM

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Question