Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 year of 951 ownership

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 12:38 AM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 year of 951 ownership

Hi,
I've owned my 1986 951 for exactly 1 year and I was wondering what maintenance you guys do yearly? I have put 12,000 miles on the beast. I bought it with 81,000 and I now have 93,000 miles. I will flush the transmission. What else do you suggest?

I am also going to have the timing belt done this weekend. It was last replaced at 79,000 miles, retensioned at around 80,000 miles but that was 3 years ago. What should I do "while I'm in there"?
I have an oil leak near the distributor so I'll replace that distributor o-ring when I have the belts and the water pump replaced. I don't know what waterpump to get. I'd like a new Porsche water pump but I think they are around $500. I just did the oil cooler housing seal by myself. It was a pain in the ***. I dont have $600 for the Porsche tensioning tool (got one I can borrow for a couple months Jeff? haha) so I think I'll have someone do this job and be good for another 2-3 years. A mechanic I trust (maybe the only mechanic I trust) will do the belts, water pump, and distributor seal for $450 in labor. Who knows if I will still have the car, I'd like to think I will never sell it but thats around the time I'd want to by my first house.
Alright talk to you later,
-Adam
Old 03-20-2006, 12:55 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

Congrats on the first year. My third year is next week. Couple things to do

- Timing belt immediatly if it has been 3 years
- Check turbo waterpump
- Check master and slave clutch cylinders
- DO tune up and normal inspection
Old 03-20-2006, 01:46 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

bloodraven, what does your location (under avatar) mean?

Adam, besides all the basic stuff you'd do to every car (brakes, fluids, etc), I say also clean your injectors if you have time. It's pretty easy to do it yourself, and it will improve the driving experience as well as MPG.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

Be sure that distributor o-ring is seated right and installed perfectly. My mechanic did it wrong and after his warranty on labor ran out oil began POURING from the seal there. The front end will have to be torn apart again to fix it, not fun.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:58 AM
EdC
Pro

I believe that even the water pumps from Porsche are not new but remanufactured. That is not to say that they aren't quality pieces, and they do have a warranty.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats. I'm now in year 9 of ownership on the 924S, and still daily driven. Keep up with the PM and use quality OEM or better parts and she'll last a lifetime.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

The day I came to pick up my 944 there was a drop of coolant on the PO's garage floor, so the previous owner said he would have it looked at. Turns out the turbo water pump was faulty. That was replaced by the PO the day I bought the car. I'll have to check if the thermostat was done aswell. If not, is it easy to get to? Could I do it after I do the belts or is this something the mechanic will not charge me much (if anything) for labor because its easy to get to? A new Laso water pump does not come with a primary thermostat right? I understand there are two thermostats on the turbo 951? What brand thermostat should i get? I'm looking into ordering from lindseyracing. I'll have to give them a call and make sure their kits have contitech t-belt and new laso water pump.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is there a way to check if I have the waterpump update kit on my 86 turbo? What should I look for visually? I could take pictures of specific places, maybe the part number of the water pump if you guys know how to decode it to determin the year of the water pump?

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2006, 07:05 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

The updated water pump has a metal plate between the two sides of the timming belt. you will have to take the top cover off of the belts and look just to the right of the (as you are looking at it) drive pulley on the pump. if it is the updated pump it will have the belt guard installed vertically right beside the pulley.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

If I had that tensionoing tool id let you borrow it. Its all about the hand tensioning.

Im gonna drive to your house, brake your window and get my damn tool back off your passenger seat. Im pretty sure it doesnt feel like riding with you anymore. hahaha

-Jeff

Quick Reply: 1 year of 951 ownership