Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Repair- Experiences with Safelite?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
tom cooper
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Repair- Experiences with Safelite?

Hey Folks,

I need to have a small windshield crack repaired. (At least I think it can be repaired). Anybody have this done by Safelite? Did they do a decent job?

Thanks in advance ,
Tom
Old 03-18-2006, 12:40 AM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes and sorta. Fits and looks good but the seal behind the windshield isn't perfect along the side and I can feel a buff of air coming in. They busted the mirror and came up with a new one without a problem so bonus points there.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:11 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar experience. They aren't very good at putting the windsheild in, but they will keep trying until they get it right,free of charge. Last time I had a windsheild put in, it took two tries. It's a bit sloppy (the sealer inside is not done very nicely), but it fits and it doesn't leak.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:14 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The rule of thumb that Safelite uses for fixing a windshield is if the crack can be covered with a $1 bill and is out of the direct line of sight of the driver, it can be fixed.

I have no experience having it fixed, just having it replaced. The guy did a very nice job...however he took my old cracked windshield out and layed the new one on. It was the wrong one, meant for an early model car. There was some confusion because i had asked them to bring a non-antenna version. It took another day with my car having no windshield in it sitting in the driveway...the guy came first thing the next morning with the right one. Otherwise he did a very nice job. I think it really depends on the experience of who they send out to do it for you.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:49 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a Safelite guy do a patch job once -- absolutely worthless. But when I had a different guy do a replacement (for an antenna windshield) the guy did a very nice and efficient job. YMMV.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Izzy
Three Wheelin'

If its bigger and closer to the bottom of the glass, up to a 12" or so crack can be repaired. While this violates the 'rules' and supposedly the structural integrity, I did a slightly larger crack and its held up since October.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:19 PM
tom cooper
Advanced

Thanks for the input. It is really a pit with a crack that is about 3/4" long and near the bottom of the windshield. I thought that it was within specs for safety inspection, but the mechanic will not pass it. I am going to try the repair process first. (Hopefully the tech will break the windshield in the process and give me a new one ;-)

Trending Topics

Old 03-19-2006, 11:04 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

i had a very small crack along the lower left hand corner of my windshield fixed by safelite. covered by geico as well, so that was a bonus. did it in the parking lot at work and it looks much better. you can still see it if you know where to look though.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:49 AM
Mike C.
Drifting

I had them replace my windshield without drama.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:49 AM
blgdaddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike C.
I had them replace my windshield without drama.
I had safelite replace my windshield. The only problem i had was the tech came out to my house and pissed and moaned "they shouldnt have set up an field appointment for a porsche" WAAAHHHHH. I ended up haveing to take it to the shop, and the guy there was like " i dont know what his problem was. we do these out in the field all the time.

Other than that it seems just fine.

Dale

Quick Reply: Windshield Repair- Experiences with Safelite?