Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove engine seals???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 06:46 PM
nenehubert
Instructor

Default How to remove engine seals???

Alrighty, I'm in the middle of a front engine seal change. I've replaced the upper balance shaft seal, o-ring, and mylar washer and was wondering how do i remove the crankshaft seal along with the lower balance shaft seal. I have all of the pullies off and ready to remove them.

O yea, this is for my 94 968.

For the lower balance shaft i unbolted it and removed the two turnbuckles. It seems like it's not going to budge. Here's a pic thus far.

thanks in advance.
Rene
Old 03-17-2006 | 07:22 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

one way is take a drywall screw, and thread it into the center of the seal in one of those little divets. When the screw hits the engine, keep turning it and itll force the seal out. You can also try to pry it out but you risk chewing up the sealing surface and having leaky seals.
Old 03-17-2006 | 07:30 PM
nenehubert
Instructor

Well. i also want to replace the o-ring and the mylar washer, that method soudns great for the crank seal, but how do i go about removing the lower balance housing?
Old 03-17-2006 | 08:02 PM
ButtSled
Instructor

Remove the lower balance shaft housing (three 13mm bolts)(lots of pulling/wiggling) and just press the seal out from the back with a socket and extension. Just rest the socket/extension, 3/4ish. I think, on the back of the spacer and press down on the housing and pop goes the seal. The housing has to come off for the o ring anyway. Ain't this stuff fun? Regards.

Dean
Old 03-17-2006 | 08:50 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

There is a bolt on the back of the balance shaft housing that is connected to a bracket on the balance shaft covers. You must remove this bolt and the housing will come out. You can then replace the o-ring.
Old 03-18-2006 | 12:00 AM
nenehubert
Instructor

I got that one.. i just couldn't see the hex bolt on the right side. Much easier than it seems.

I have one problem though. On my upper balance shaft it's not rotating freely. Kinda scared. It's offering quite a bit of resistance when i try to turn it. One thing that might have contributed to this... When i removed the upper balance shaft housing, to replace the o-ring and mylar washer, i went to replace the housing and forgot that i put the woodruff key back in its hole. I slid the housing on and tried to beat it in with a rubber hammer. Hope this didnt crap up the housing. I didn't see any scaring on the inside. Would this contribute to the balance shaft being hard to turn?
Old 03-18-2006 | 10:51 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

My lower balance shaft housing isnt turning that freely since I put it on either. I still have the engine on the stand and I'm thinking about what to do. I am guessing that the new seals are probably just a little tight and need to be worn in a little.

Maybe someone else can comment on this as well maybe we both did something wrong. One thing I can think of is possibly loosening the front housing bolts and wiggling it some and seeing if it moves freer. Maybe that is the problem?

You're supposed to not torque down the housing bolts until you snug the front housing bolts. Did you take off the upper housing? and did you use the loctite sealant?
Old 03-18-2006 | 03:48 PM
nenehubert
Instructor

It's my upper balance shaft that seems hard to turn. I used loctite on the bolts also. Just don't want to start my car and have it go BOOM, if you know what i mean.
Old 03-18-2006 | 04:07 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did you lube the bearing surfaces before installing the housing? Is it possible there's dirt lodged between the bearing surfaces preventing the shaft from turning freely?

See pics:
http://home.att.net/~porsche944/seals/dscn0505-1-0.html
http://home.att.net/~porsche944/seals/dscn0510-1-0.html

Did you mean to say that you installed the housing with the seal already installed and slipped it over the woodruff key? I kinda wonder if you'd damage the inner lip of the seal doing that.
Old 03-19-2006 | 01:13 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I didn't even do the balance shaft bearings themselves and mine is still tight. I lubed everything though.

Did you put the gear back on yet? i bet its not that tough to turn with the gear on.
Old 03-20-2006 | 02:55 AM
nenehubert
Instructor

Did you mean to say that you installed the housing with the seal already installed and slipped it over the woodruff key? I kinda wonder if you'd damage the inner lip of the seal doing that.

***It seemed fine today. As far as the woodruff key, I accidently tried to slide the housing onto the shaft with the woodruff key on. I left it there so i didn't lose it while i was replacing the o-ring and mylar washer. it was hard to turn with the gear on and bolted, likewise with it off. Today it seemed to roll fine. perhaps the seal had to acclimate to the shaft. Started the car and drove it around. Works fine. Love not having that famous P9201 no squeel from any belt.

Although, i noticed at least 20 drops of oil on my garage floor.. this sucks. I just put everything back together. I'm going to be pissed if it isn't the valve cover.

Quick Reply: How to remove engine seals???