Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use ramps to change out cv assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
dfb
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use ramps to change out cv assembly?

I hope this isn't too dumb a question but I want to be sure before I do it.
I did a search but was unable to answer this question myself.
Thanks for any replies Dale
Old 03-17-2006, 04:16 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

The frustration level might be up there a bit, and I think you'd be happier on jack stands, but its do-able. The holes on the cv shaft have to line up "just right" and its a lot easier if you can spin the rear wheels to line them up. You'd think that if you are just swapping them out, it'd be no big deal, but I've fought that particular issue before and know for a fact that they don't always line up.

Regards,
Old 03-17-2006, 04:17 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're much better off putting the rear on jack stands. You're going to want to be able to rotate the wheels to gain clean access the bolts -- otherwise you will end up stripping them. But I'm sure if you get creative enough, it can be done on ramps....
Old 03-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I changed mine by driving the car up on a curb. Then rolling it along to get at all of the bolts.
On ramps you can't do that, and you will make the job pretty difficult.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:48 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephsc
You're much better off putting the rear on jack stands. You're going to want to be able to rotate the wheels to gain clean access the bolts -- otherwise you will end up stripping them. But I'm sure if you get creative enough, it can be done on ramps....
No need for creativity. Just have a floor jack set up. Lift it slightly above the ramp, turn it 90 degrees, set back down. Oh, and make sure it's out of gear.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:56 AM
dfb
Track Day

Thanks folks,
I'm unable to get it to my buddys garage so have to do it in the driveway. Since there's a bit of a slant I was thinking I would feel much better it I could use the ramps along with a set of anchored wheel blocks.
Dale
Old 03-18-2006, 04:26 PM
gtroth
Rennlist Member

Whew - seems to me that'll be a real pain, but doable. I did a lot of rotating to get good angles for the tool when loosening and torqueing - if I had to jack it up each time...

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer ramps whenever it isn't essential to remove the wheels. They're much more secure than jack stands. If you put the transmission in nuetral you can rotate the gear box flange to any position. Chock the front wheels.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:55 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Mike C.
I prefer ramps whenever it isn't essential to remove the wheels. They're much more secure than jack stands.
That's a matter of opinion. For instance, drive off center up on cheap ramps vs. properly set-up quality jackstands. I've spent hundreds of hours under my cars on stands with no worries. I do it right every time. But I know what you mean, too.

Originally Posted by Mike C.
If you put the transmission in nuetral you can rotate the gear box flange to any position. Chock the front wheels.
But how do you reach the top bolts on the spindle side? Must rotate wheel. Or risk stripping the heads which we all know are, like the moon, made of cheese.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it is true that mistakes can be made whilst driving up the ramps and that can cause damage to your car (but not damage to you). The thing that gives me the ******* about jack stands is when you're under there tugging on a tough bolt and the car moves a little bit. I realize it will move more with tires holding it up but once properly on the ramps there is no way you'll ever rock it off. I feel much safer with the wider foot print of the ramps too. As for access to all the bolts without rotating the wheel, I've always been able to get them without great effort.

Quick Reply: Can I use ramps to change out cv assembly?