Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Konis VS OEM Boge

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 03:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by yellowline
Does anyone daily drive on Konis? The backs sound simple to do, I'd change them out when the car needs it.

My dad put Koni yellows in his Fiat 850 35 years ago and said I shouldn't put them in mine. He went through motor mounts, the metal near the mount points for the shocks was tearing, etc. Then again, I'd like to think the 944 is a little more solid than a Fiat.
I daily drive on Koni struts front and shocks rear, also have 200lb springs in the front and the car lowered about an inch all around. On softest setting the car feels ridiculously soft and even on medium i wish the car was a little stiffer. But ive been street driving this suspension for over a year and i cant even remember what stock felt like (riding like a Cadillac comes to mind). I wouldnt worry about the car falling apart..this is my daily driver and its gone through more than enough treks into Manhattan and the Bronx, home of the car swallowing potholes. Granted i do what i can to avoid hitting them, but if that entails swerving into another car...ill slow down, bite my lip and just let it happen.

With the Koni's,I dont even bother on full stiff because the car understeers like a truck. Whenever i autocross the car i usually goto about 1/4 stiff or the car pushes badly on low speed tight turns. Like Tom said, It indeed took me a while to figure out the best settings to get the car balanced, i think i figured it out on the last event last season... so maybe 6 autocrosses to play around with the settings to my liking.

If anything i want to go with stiffer springs, i just dont want to deal with torsion bars just yet.
Old 03-14-2006 | 04:10 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Dont bother with the springs.
once you start that you will have a bitch of a time getting everything balanced. that was the bottom line.
What would need to be "balanced" when fitting shorter & stiffer springs ?
Old 03-14-2006 | 05:43 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

From my discussions on the topic with 200# up front, a 1" drop is either brought back to stock ride height with a 1" spacer or the rear is reindexed 3/4" to compensate. I went with the spacers as not to have to mess with the reindex.
Old 03-15-2006 | 07:49 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

*I daily drive on Koni's... and not only that, I daily drive on NORFOLK roads (locals will understand my pain). They are fine for street use, really. Some rough roads will have you inclined to turn them down some, yet many are fine to have cranked up stiff.

*Replacing the T-bars is one of the least-fun jobs to do on a 944.

*Koni>>Boge

*Skip and Jason at Paragon will take good care of you if you call them up to discuss the matter
Old 03-15-2006 | 07:52 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

*Skip and Jason at Paragon will take good care of you if you call them up to discuss the matter
I did, they did (as usual) and I ordered!!!!
Old 03-15-2006 | 10:33 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

I have a good used (<4000 mi.) set of Koni Sports for the rear sitting in my basement. I'll let them go cheap. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Old 03-16-2006 | 12:36 AM
whalebird
Race Car

not having tuned very many chassis in this forum, I have extensive experiance with 911s. One thing too consider is how the car will be used. I have found that on daily drivers that see autox and DE events some people will go overboard with shocks and keep stock springs. This can have negative affects by "over-shocking" the springs;such as larger springs can "over-spring" stock shocks. Weather the track or the street you still want a compliant suspension. Too much restriction either way wil be undesirable. Stock springs with konis adjusted on the soft side is nice, as are the Bilstiens. I have driven some very fast "stock" street cars with KYB gas shocks and good sway bars w/poly bushings-on the track. Remember-"LOOSE IS FAST"

Quick Reply: Konis VS OEM Boge