Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Insurance? Experiences? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 07:18 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Which Insurance? Experiences? Opinions?

Right now, I've got PLPD insurance on my Porsche. I'm not really comfortable with that, but my regular insurance carrier wants way too much money for what it is and the use it gets, a toy car and not a daily driver.

I have a quote from Collectors Insurance in New Jearsy. I'd be very interested if this is a reputable carrier and if anyone has had good or bad experiences with them.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Last edited by eohrnberger; 03-14-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:20 PM
daniel951
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had collectors insurance on my porsche and never had any problems and it was alot cheaper then normal insurance
Old 03-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

I use Aon for the 914 - it's quite reasonable - but they need the car to be over 20 years old and less than 40k miles - although you can petition them.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:41 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using American Collectors Insurance -- also located in NJ. Very inexpensive. I have had no complaints -- but then, I haven't had to file a claim either...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by josephsc
I've been using American Collectors Insurance -- also located in NJ. Very inexpensive. I have had no complaints -- but then, I haven't had to file a claim either...
I used Leland West for a 3 yr spell. Got tired of them dropping my agreed value and raising my premium EVERY YEAR... and it wasn't just a little bit every year either! One year they tried to reduce my agreed value by $2500 and raised my premium by $100 from $375 to $490. I called and appealed and the number got a bit better but not much, so I dropped them last year.

I have American Collectors for one year now (just got the renewal in the mail today) and for the most part I am happy with them. Agreed Value $19500 and I pay $395 annually with all the good stuff that comes along with collectors insurance. Mileage limit is 2,5K.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

You'll NEVER know how good your company is until you have a wreck, it's your fault, and you go to settle. Then their true nature tends to come out...but they get you in the end anyway through higher rates afterwards. They're all great until you have to go head to head...and you'll loose because they're professionals when it comes to dealing with people who whine about bad settlements.

Someone ran a stoplight and t-boned me a couple of years ago..and it was his fault..ticket etc. and it still took me 8 months to settle reasonably...and I still lost out over all. Moral is to not get in an accident. Treat everyone on the road like bloomin' idiot beause some of them are. Anything under $500 (or maybe more) is best to settle on the sidewalk without getting your ins. company involved. Your fault or not, it goes on your record as being "prone to accidents." Eventually will affect your rates.

Harvey
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 AM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

right now mine is through frankenmuth mutual i believe. i have the car in my dads name since its cheaper and since im livin at home, i really dont care. 268 anually, but the value is what i paid for it, just 3500. (should be way more now, i almost have that much in reciepts, haha) and its supposed to be in a locked garage.. and i think i have a mileage limit, but they never took a picture of the odometer, only outside shots, so i drive the hell out of it. hope i dont wreck it *crosses fingers*

Trending Topics

Old 03-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

I pay about 25 dollars a month for full coverage on my 80k '86 951. It's listed as a "hobby car" with General Casualty, and though I don't actually reside at my parents, the car does and benefits from the fact that my father has a clean driving record and is 55 years old.

Collector's insurance was more expensive last time we checked...so make sure there isn't some provision in your normal insurer's policies if you use your car as a "toy".
Old 03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Well, I just spoke to Collectors Insurance and it doesn't appear that it's the cover that I need.

I can either insure the car as a collector's car, which means that there is no DE coverage, and I'm limited to 2,500 miles per year, I'm putting like 4,500 miles per year on the car, and anticipate that going up.

Or I could insure the car with them using their DE program, which covers only DE activities, and I'd still need other coverage for the street use.

So Collectors Insurance doesn't seem to cover my needs at the moment. I'm assuming that American Collectors coverage would be similar. Am I right about that?

Are there any other DE/street insurance options out there someone would recommend?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:06 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

American Collectors let you have more miles if you're willing to pay a little more. I have 5000 miles/year on m 951S, though it's been on jackstands most of last year.... I don't think it covers DE events, however.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

American Collectors was the insurance company that I called, so that one's out. It's an either or, and not eough miles.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

I'm marking this thread to watch it, since it is of interest to me as well.
We've had our '85.5 for 15 years, and have averaged under 3500 miles/year in that time. After talking to a few folks at 944Fest last year, I realized that maintaining full coverage didn't make sense any more since even our well kept example would likely be 'totaled' by our insurer at an ab$urdly low number.

Brian
Old 03-14-2006, 01:46 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sca037
I'm marking this thread to watch it, since it is of interest to me as well.
We've had our '85.5 for 15 years, and have averaged under 3500 miles/year in that time. After talking to a few folks at 944Fest last year, I realized that maintaining full coverage didn't make sense any more since even our well kept example would likely be 'totaled' by our insurer at an ab$urdly low number.

Brian
That a concern for me too. Then I learned that you could specify the "Agreed Upon Value", which means that rather than valuing the car by some blue book formula, you can tell the insurance company what the car is worth. They'll crunch that number into their premium calculation.

I'm looking for $10K agreed upon value, so that if it does get hit and totalled, I'd get that much from the insurance to start looking for the next one. Hopefully, I'll still be able to scavange the good parts from the car as well.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hughett
Anything under $500 (or maybe more) is best to settle on the sidewalk without getting your ins. company involved. Your fault or not, it goes on your record as being "prone to accidents." Eventually will affect your rates.

Harvey
Stupid idea, to settle on the sidewalk. Many people have been burnt that way.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:15 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Default Got a quote back from Hagerty

It was for $500 / yr. Couldn't turn off the insurance for winter storage, full coverage, $16K agreed upon value, $1000 deductible for collission and glass.

Only point of contention was that they considered DE events as racing and wouldn't be covered. How do the DE'ers around here cover their cars for those events? Or is it a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" kinda thing?

Quick Reply: Which Insurance? Experiences? Opinions?